U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 03:20 PM

478 posts, read 688,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
OK, now your hyperbole is showing. If wait staff are getting ill 24 hours after contact with snowbirds, then Minnesota and Alberta must be incubating the most virulent strain of flu/URI known to modern mankind.

Let's get back on topic with facts, please.

Good point..oh look not much going on up here!

Flu Report: Canada - The Weather Network
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 03:40 PM

1,490 posts, read 3,106,688 times
Sheesh! You folks talk like snowbirds are another species. We will all be so lucky to be in thier shoes when we reach the time when we can retire and hopefully do what we want.
These people, for the most part, worked hard all their lives to get where they are. These people not only have the right to be here, they deserve to be here if that's what they desire.
Most of these people have earned the right to be here, to do whatever they have worked all their lives for.
And for the poster that said the slow drivers are more dangerous than the idiots going 80 and 90, weaving in and out of traffic???? I want some of what you're smoking.
To me, this thread is rediculous.
Thier generation in my opinion was far stronger than the current generation of winey, selfish and lazy people I always see hanging around the malls talking on their cell phones, pounding away on their ipads and bitching about how hard things are.
How would you like it if you worked hard all your life to be productive and when you reach retirement and you are looked down upon?
I'm nowhere near even an early retirement age and I can only hope I am as smart and successful as the people that come here to enjoy the fine winter weather.
They have fought and protected our country in WWII, Korea, Vietnam and other conflicts. These people have opened business that have employed many of us, they have worked for decades at jobs that produce the things we use and they have raised families and contributed to society.
I for one applaud their accomplishments.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:04 PM

3,001 posts, read 5,510,569 times
Well said.
And most of these people were more or less trapped in their jobs in snow belts in this country and have been coming to the valley for years in the case of farmers in the hard winters. I know a few. And many more as soon as they could get out of the snow came here to retire to warmer and dryer WX and that's been going on for years. Those people eventually located here permanently.
Further, many people in the late 1800s were sent here for the same reasons with lung problems.

What you need to ask yourself is just where you came from?
The population of Phoenix in the 1960s before cheap AC was very few compared to today.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:55 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,829,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
Sheesh! You folks talk like snowbirds are another species. We will all be so lucky to be in thier shoes when we reach the time when we can retire and hopefully do what we want.
These people, for the most part, worked hard all their lives to get where they are. These people not only have the right to be here, they deserve to be here if that's what they desire.
Most of these people have earned the right to be here, to do whatever they have worked all their lives for.
And for the poster that said the slow drivers are more dangerous than the idiots going 80 and 90, weaving in and out of traffic???? I want some of what you're smoking.
To me, this thread is rediculous.
Thier generation in my opinion was far stronger than the current generation of winey, selfish and lazy people I always see hanging around the malls talking on their cell phones, pounding away on their ipads and bitching about how hard things are.
How would you like it if you worked hard all your life to be productive and when you reach retirement and you are looked down upon?
I'm nowhere near even an early retirement age and I can only hope I am as smart and successful as the people that come here to enjoy the fine winter weather.
They have fought and protected our country in WWII, Korea, Vietnam and other conflicts. These people have opened business that have employed many of us, they have worked for decades at jobs that produce the things we use and they have raised families and contributed to society.
I for one applaud their accomplishments.
I think the majority of comments are in good fun although a few are a bit...off-base. My parents and aunts and uncles are snowbirds, I would never degrade them!

It's just funny how all of them sort of come to Phoenix in a "flock" and migrate together to restaurants, attractions, etc. I usually tell my dad that when he goes golfing with his buddies that the combined age of the players on the course is older than the Earth itself .

Old 11-14-2011, 08:25 PM

4,874 posts, read 9,526,059 times
Glad they are coming and bringing their money to spend in our economy. I for one enjoy them being in town.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:48 PM

99 posts, read 132,437 times
Default My two-bits worth

We are snowbirds and try our best to respect Phoenix as if we were full-time residents. First, we spent over $ 200,000 here last year and plan on spending about $ 40,000 more this trip. This doesn't include items in the next paragraph.

We pay taxes, HOA, water, sewer, landscaping, etc etc as if we were full-time residents. We drive at or a bit over speed limits - you have to maintain speed consistent with traffic flow - even if everyone is speeding.

We find service at most restaurants here much better than Canada, and usually tip 20%.

We haven't had the flu or any contagious illness for many years - do have allergies up north and to a lesser extent here.

We are supporting home renovation companies, building supply stores and appliance stores this year. The building supply store told us a couple of weeks ago if it wasn't for the Canadian and US snowbirds they likely would be out of business (maybe he was just being nice?).

We support charities, farmers' markets, concerts, sports, and other local events. We volunteer in our local community while we are here.

For six months we buy food, clothing, fuel, car maintenance, etc etc. While we are gone we support local companies that look after our home while we are away (we don't rent it out).

Maybe we are worth a bit more than two-bits - hope so anyway.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:50 PM

153 posts, read 283,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaG View Post
We are snowbirds and try our best to respect Phoenix as if we were full-time residents. First, we spent over $ 200,000 here last year and plan on spending about $ 40,000 more this trip. This doesn't include items in the next paragraph.

We pay taxes, HOA, water, sewer, landscaping, etc etc as if we were full-time residents. We drive at or a bit over speed limits - you have to maintain speed consistent with traffic flow - even if everyone is speeding.

We find service at most restaurants here much better than Canada, and usually tip 20%.

We haven't had the flu or any contagious illness for many years - do have allergies up north and to a lesser extent here.

We are supporting home renovation companies, building supply stores and appliance stores this year. The building supply store told us a couple of weeks ago if it wasn't for the Canadian and US snowbirds they likely would be out of business (maybe he was just being nice?).

We support charities, farmers' markets, concerts, sports, and other local events. We volunteer in our local community while we are here.

For six months we buy food, clothing, fuel, car maintenance, etc etc. While we are gone we support local companies that look after our home while we are away (we don't rent it out).

Maybe we are worth a bit more than two-bits - hope so anyway.
I'd say that you'd be in the minority. I agree with the other posters in that snowbirds as a whole are a nuisance. I'm really tired of driving behind some cadillac or crown vic (or some other huge car) going painfully slow, drifting around in the lane, while the driver is looking out the side windows more than he/she is looking out the windshield. Buffet restaurants are completely out of the question during the winter.

Another poster called the snowbirds 'frugal', I'd say they are downright CHEAP. Whenever a store has a sale, they wake up VERY early and clean the store out. Yes, this helps with the sales tax...but they don't pay a dime in income tax, which is where most revenue is generated.

Just my observations, but I'd have to agree with the others.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:55 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,829,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigDwiki View Post
I'd say that you'd be in the minority. I agree with the other posters in that snowbirds as a whole are a nuisance. I'm really tired of driving behind some cadillac or crown vic (or some other huge car) going painfully slow, drifting around in the lane, while the driver is looking out the side windows more than he/she is looking out the windshield. Buffet restaurants are completely out of the question during the winter.

Another poster called the snowbirds 'frugal', I'd say they are downright CHEAP. Whenever a store has a sale, they wake up VERY early and clean the store out. Yes, this helps with the sales tax...but they don't pay a dime in income tax, which is where most revenue is generated.

Evidently you're looking at a different demographic of snowbirds than I know. Of course snowbirds like "deals" but most I know aren't afraid of spending money on things they want. My parents bought a 2011 Cadillac last year and of course, paid tax on that. I know quite a few snowbirds who wait to trade off vehicles down here because vehicles down here aren't exposed to salt or snow.

Go to Scottsdale Fashion Square during the week and you'll see PLENTY of snowbirds shopping at high-end stores.

And who cares that they don't pay a dime in income tax? They also don't take ANY jobs away from the residents of Phoenix. So they buy products and use services, inject tons of money into the economy, don't take jobs away, and don't bring any crime with them. I don't see a negative here...

Old 11-14-2011, 10:35 PM

6,495 posts, read 9,589,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
We should all remember this is America, and just as those of us who choose to live in Phoenix full time have the right to live here full time; so do the Snowbirds have the right to live here during the times they choose.
Very true.

Quote:
The snowbirds come in all ages; not just the "old" folks. And remember that if all of today's younger generation is lucky, they may be able to one day be one of the "old" folks. And hopefully the generation younger than them will have more respect for the elderly than many of the current generation do for their elders.
Good point, and I generally agree in principle ... but remember that respect is a two way street, and respect also has to be earned. Nobody is entitled to respect just because he/she reaches a certain age. Inconsiderate behavior knows no age limits in some cases.

Quote:
Perhaps the snowbirds good driving habits[/b] is one of the things that has allowed them to grow to an "old" age.
Not when they drive under the speed limit in the left lanes, refuse to move over, don't use turn signals, and have no regard for those behind them. Those are not good driving habits.

Quote:

When we pass a known snowbird
who is driving 60, rather than 80 and cutting in and out of traffic risking our lives, or driving 50 while high on meth, perhaps we should thank them instead of criticizing them.
If they drive 60 on a freeway in a posted speed zone of 65, they are just as much of a hazard (if not more so) than somebody who is exceeding the speed limit. Those who are unable or unwilling to keep up with the pace really need to stay in the right lane ... or better yet, off the freeway entirely if they are holding up the flow. This applies to anyone, not just snowbirds.

Quote:
The snowbirds provide a lot of value to the Phoenix economy. Those who derive benefit from their business are well aware of their value.

The snowbirds do pay taxes on everything they purchase, just like full time residents. They pay property taxes on homes they own here, automobile registration fees on the cars they own and leave here year round, food and clothing taxes; rental tax on rental investment taxes they own. And of course those tax dollars are a big help for our local governments.
No question that their presence helps the economy, and they are perfectly welcome here. What bothers me, however, is how our economy is TOO reliant on snowbirds. Phoenix is certainly big enough to where we should be focussing on more diverse type of economic factors. We can't keep depending on what worked well 40 years ago when we were a small city. The economic impact from winter visitors should only be a SMALL PART of our bread & butter ... not a large part of the pie.

Quote:
They also help to provide jobs for house keepers, pool cleaners, landscapers, contractors, property managers, plumbers, electricians, and others. Don't underestimate the economical value the snowbirds provide to our Phoenix economy.
Mostly service type of positions. Again, fine to a point ... but the Phoenix metro area needs to grow up and act its size. We can't keep behaving like a small winter resort city. I want to see people of all ages visit, and/or move here for more essential reasons besides sunshine, golf, and cheap housing. We should be focussing on bringing in entrepreneurs with venture capital who are business minded, large corporations that will want to base their HQs here so that the higher salaried positions will follow.

Consider how a more diverse economy would benefit you, Cap'n. Better paying jobs would bring an increase in people to the housing market who are more willing to invest and even pay higher prices. An economy dependent on retirement and seasonal tourism only provides a limited, short term benefit to the real estate sector & other areas of the economy.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:11 AM

478 posts, read 688,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigDwiki View Post

???

I don't rent Caddys..or Vics...I rent mid-size cars at about 3 or 4 hundred for every 10 days. I shop at MACY's. JUST CALL ME CHEAP!!!

I love driving 75 on the freeway..something we can't do up here.

People have to quit blaming snowbirds for their woes. Yes you need to diversify your economy but don't blame us for that. Would you like us all to leave? Then where would you be?

Funny I just read your posts..you aren't even a local.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area