U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 02:33 PM

6,069 posts, read 13,543,088 times

Advertisements

Snowbirds are a boon to our economy. In addition, they are great people, and I welcome them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 02:55 PM

148 posts, read 278,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Snowbirds are a boon to our economy. In addition, they are great people, and I welcome them.
And it's precisely people like you who keep us coming back. For the most part I have found Arizonans to be nothing but warm and welcoming.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:05 PM

16,946 posts, read 22,109,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havikats View Post
I'm a snowbird. While I'm not a senior, I am a snowbird nonetheless. I can tell you that I am a stickler about tipping appropriately and that I despise generalizations based on biased and uneducated opinions. I am a good citizen who takes pride in my home and community, no matter where that home might be.
I pack out what I pack in. I don't litter.
I am mindful of my environment and those around me and I am proud to be Canadian. I am also proud to be a part time resident of the USA. My son is American. I pay taxes here, buy insurance here, buy products here and am fierce about buying locally and supporting my community.
Please.... don't generalize. It makes you look foolish and it builds up a mindset which is unhealthy given today's climate. I am like you. I pay taxes, I love my family and God, I work hard, I care about the environment and my neighbours and I am passionate about living a good life free of anger and hate for a people or country who I do not understand. I bleed red, just like you. My tears flow just the same as yours.
Please educate yourself and don't let your fears and ignorance about people who are older than you or who are from another country inhibit your ability to embrace all people of any country of origin. To post such unsubstantiated and hateful words based solely on bias and discrimination does none of us any good.
Let's embrace our differences and seek to understand that which we do not understand. To do any different only underscores your fear and ignorance. I truly believe that you are better than that.
It's not too late for you and if you promise to not sling slander at this Canadian snowbird, I promise not to use the words "Ugly American". Either phrase does such a deep and ugly injustice. Do you not agree?
Do yourself and your countrymen a favour and tone down the rhetoric. Judge each person individually (if you must judge) and offer the hand of kindness at each and every opportunity. You just might be surprised at what you discover.
Best post on this thread. Thanks Havilkats!

Old 02-06-2012, 06:47 AM

4,486 posts, read 15,839,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havikats View Post
I'm a snowbird. While I'm not a senior, I am a snowbird nonetheless. I can tell you that I am a stickler about tipping appropriately and that I despise generalizations based on biased and uneducated opinions. I am a good citizen who takes pride in my home and community, no matter where that home might be.
I pack out what I pack in. I don't litter.
I am mindful of my environment and those around me and I am proud to be Canadian. I am also proud to be a part time resident of the USA. My son is American. I pay taxes here, buy insurance here, buy products here and am fierce about buying locally and supporting my community.
Please.... don't generalize. It makes you look foolish and it builds up a mindset which is unhealthy given today's climate. I am like you. I pay taxes, I love my family and God, I work hard, I care about the environment and my neighbours and I am passionate about living a good life free of anger and hate for a people or country who I do not understand. I bleed red, just like you. My tears flow just the same as yours.
Please educate yourself and don't let your fears and ignorance about people who are older than you or who are from another country inhibit your ability to embrace all people of any country of origin. To post such unsubstantiated and hateful words based solely on bias and discrimination does none of us any good.
Let's embrace our differences and seek to understand that which we do not understand. To do any different only underscores your fear and ignorance. I truly believe that you are better than that.
It's not too late for you and if you promise to not sling slander at this Canadian snowbird, I promise not to use the words "Ugly American". Either phrase does such a deep and ugly injustice. Do you not agree?
Do yourself and your countrymen a favour and tone down the rhetoric. Judge each person individually (if you must judge) and offer the hand of kindness at each and every opportunity. You just might be surprised at what you discover.
I think you're reading a bit much into everything. I think you were offended by many things written in jest, I always poke fun at all parents and relatives who are snowbirds.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:55 AM

6,689 posts, read 8,014,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJ0SH View Post
The only benefit is the minor economic stimulus, and the cons outweigh the pros:

- More Traffic & Accidents (Notorious Rubberneckers)
- Longer Lines at Restaurants & Pharmacies
- Increased Viral Diseases
- Less Income + More Work for Restaurant Employees
- Increased Rental Rates

Not sure why anyone welcome such a burden to our city.
SpeedyAZ. Do you think this guy ^^was just poking fun?

Old 02-06-2012, 07:03 AM

4,486 posts, read 15,839,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
SpeedyAZ. Do you think this guy ^^was just poking fun?
One jerk does ruin it for the bunch I guess.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:25 AM

22,959 posts, read 23,919,504 times
Having been a snowbird and now a resident I like 'em except at Costco,Walmart and the grocery store where when they get inside they just STOP or when going down an aisle they just STOP right in the middle of the aisles blocking everybody instead of moving over to the side allowing others who can actually take full steps to pass.

Take Costco (Arrowhead) last saturday, not a parking space to be found, wall to wall old people who made it so all you could take is half steps or you'd run 'em over and don't even get me started on the sample stampede. You'd think it was their last meal or something, makes me think of what starving people at a buffet line would look like.

Seriously though, I was just joshing with the above with maybe an exception of the stopping in the aisle thing, that is annoying but not just limited to snowbirds.
Snowbirds definitely help the local economy and should be welcomed.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:55 AM

148 posts, read 278,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Having been a snowbird and now a resident I like 'em except at Costco,Walmart and the grocery store where when they get inside they just STOP or when going down an aisle they just STOP right in the middle of the aisles blocking everybody instead of moving over to the side allowing others who can actually take full steps to pass.

Take Costco (Arrowhead) last saturday, not a parking space to be found, wall to wall old people who made it so all you could take is half steps or you'd run 'em over and don't even get me started on the sample stampede. You'd think it was their last meal or something, makes me think of what starving people at a buffet line would look like.

Seriously though, I was just joshing with the above with maybe an exception of the stopping in the aisle thing, that is annoying but not just limited to snowbirds.
Snowbirds definitely help the local economy and should be welcomed.
This is one of my biggest pet peeves. Surprisingly, that even happens where I live in the summer. I can't, for the life of me, figure out why somebody has to stop as soon as they get in the door. And, when someone is blocking the aisle, I politely say, "Excuse me" or something and then they look at me as if I'm the one who is rude!

Old 02-06-2012, 10:12 AM

6,069 posts, read 13,543,088 times
Everyone should just step back a little, be considerate of our fellow human beings and relax.

What is the big deal if we have to wait a few seconds if someone is blocking the aisle? Are we really in that much of a hurry that small things like that should upset us?

It isn't like we're on the freeway; we're in a store, and people are shopping. If I want to pass someone who is blocking the aisle all I have to do is wait a second and they see me. They smile and say excuse me, and they move over.

Don't sweat the small things. Life is too short. Be polite, relax, and don't get an ulcer.

And by the way, I know of no way to tell if a person in a store is a snowbird. They don't wear signs on their backs; and grey hair and age are not limited to snowbirds. Ask me how I know!!!

Stop walking in the shade. Walk on the sunny side of the street. Smile, and the world will smile with you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOH_m...eature=related

Old 04-02-2015, 09:46 AM

2 posts, read 1,474 times
Remember, someday you, too will retire, be old and have a "viral disease." Then you'll want to visit some place that has very nice summers...like Oregon. A beautiful place to spend a few summer months. By all means, come to OR and we will make you just as welcome as you have made us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area