Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 06:58 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times

Advertisements

I am reading conflicting reports, so I want to know if the Phoenix job market is really getting better? I just got laid off from my job after 5 years on November 2nd. I am now on unemployment, and the job market here in Las Vegas is just plain terrible. I have no lease on my apartment therefore I have nothing holding me back. I have called 2 of the courier companies I used to work at and they both told me they have no open positions and that business is not good (both are independent contractor commission jobs). I will admit I have no marketable skills. I was a security guard in Las Vegas the whole time. What do you guys/gals think I should do? Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 07:18 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
I would think that there would be security work available here, as well, but as much as you have said about hating Phoenix, I can't imagine why you would want to come back here. I'd be looking someplace new, if I were you.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:22 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I am reading conflicting reports, so I want to know if the Phoenix job market is really getting better? I just got laid off from my job after 5 years on November 2nd. I am now on unemployment, and the job market here in Las Vegas is just plain terrible. I have no lease on my apartment therefore I have nothing holding me back. I have called 2 of the courier companies I used to work at and they both told me they have no open positions and that business is not good (both are independent contractor commission jobs). I will admit I have no marketable skills. I was a security guard in Las Vegas the whole time. What do you guys/gals think I should do? Any advice would be appreciated.
I think you could find temporary work at least, particularly with your courier experience. Amazon is hiring thousands for the holiday season, they have announced. They have two distribution centers here - one in Goodyear and one in Phoenix. UPS and FedEx both announced seasonal hiring and they have very large operations here. There are a number of other shippers in PHX too, like Macys, and Penneys. I don't know if it is up your alley but retail is doing rather well here and will be adding quite a few people for the season and probably retaining some afterward.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
As much as you have said about hating Phoenix, I can't imagine why you would want to come back here. I'd be looking someplace new, if I were you.
Yeah, but I am going to be hating living on the streets of Las Vegas even more so. The unemployment rate here is 13.6%. I have no chance of getting another job. Also, as a side note, all my friends live in Phoenix.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I think you could find temporary work at least, particularly with your courier experience. Amazon is hiring thousands for the holiday season, they have announced. They have two distribution centers here - one in Goodyear and one in Phoenix. UPS and FedEx both announced seasonal hiring and they have very large operations here. There are a number of other shippers in PHX too, like Macys, and Penneys. I don't know if it is up your alley but retail is doing rather well here and will be adding quite a few people for the season and probably retaining some afterward.
Thanks, I will look into it. Luckily, Nevada did not cancel my Arizona license and my driving record is now completely clean. However, you are correct, retail is not my thing.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:37 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Thanks, I will look into it. Luckily, Nevada did not cancel my Arizona license and my driving record is now completely clean. However, you are correct, retail is not my thing.
Also check ONTRAC. They are a growing regional delivery service headquartered in Phoenix.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:45 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,501,755 times
Quote:
Yeah, but I am going to be hating living on the streets of Las Vegas even more so. The unemployment rate here is 13.6%. I have no chance of getting another job. Also, as a side note, all my friends live in Phoenix.
See, no place is utopia.

The unemployment problem is bad all over, not just in Phoenix or Las Vegas.

Las Vegas might be more alluring for the entertainment-nightlife pursuer, but it's a hollow economy there and Phoenix is more of a true city in search of better jobs.

I remember some of your postings about how much you hated life here.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence, and Phoenix isn't looking so bad now is it?

Old 11-14-2011, 11:15 AM

160 posts, read 374,369 times
I lost my job a few months ago, found a higher paying job within a few days, and had call backs on 10 other positions I applied for. I think it really depends on your field of work, I do online marketing and website management, so my field is considered more of a trade.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:38 PM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
I also remember your posts about hating Phoenix. More importantly, I remember you bragging about the "hundreds" of photo radar tickets you had received and not paid when you worked here as a courier.

Please do move somewhere - anywhere! - else. You will be happier and the rest of us will be safer.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:17 PM

35 posts, read 59,472 times
If I was unemployed, I would move to Denver or Austin, but I work in tech, and there are a lot more tech jobs in the Denver/Austin areas than Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area