Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 10:01 AM

235 posts, read 755,859 times

Advertisements

The San Francisco train system is a poor comparison. Their train actually is useful. I live in north Phoenix, and commute to Tempe for work. When they eliminate my bus, I will not have a light rail station anywhere near my home. So in July, I will have to purchase a car, which I have been avoiding for the longest time due to the thoughtless Phoenix drivers. If you choose to be a tool and believe everything the news tells you, more power to you. But I refuse to use the Phoenix news stations as credible information. The news stations are out to make the city look good. Coping with light-rail costs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 10:08 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times
really? i know a few here where i work that are in your same situation. I hope they don't eliminate that route.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:24 AM

235 posts, read 755,859 times
It is a much frequented route. But for some reason, they want to eliminate it.I remember when I was like 15 taking this bus down to Tempe, going to east side records chilling out on mill, then just taking the bus back up to north Phoenix. Now as a adult I use it as my main transportation to and from work. The route I suppose has sentimental value

Old 03-29-2009, 12:53 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuh View Post
The San Francisco train system is a poor comparison. Their train actually is useful. I live in north Phoenix, and commute to Tempe for work. When they eliminate my bus, I will not have a light rail station anywhere near my home. So in July, I will have to purchase a car, which I have been avoiding for the longest time due to the thoughtless Phoenix drivers. If you choose to be a tool and believe everything the news tells you, more power to you. But I refuse to use the Phoenix news stations as credible information. The news stations are out to make the city look good. Coping with light-rail costs
Actually, I wasn't comparing our train system to theirs. The BART is a finished product. Our system is still in its initial phases. I just said that when our light rail expands and covers much of the valley like the BART in 10-20 years, it will benefit many people. Your comparison of our light rail to others is weak considering ours is not a finished product. Did you think an entire light rail infrastructure could be built in a matter of 5 years? These things take time. This is just the first step in establishing a valley wide light rail. It's not going to be finished overnight. I'm sorry that you lost your route but unfortunately, it's not going to please and help everyone, no project can. This is in the best interest of the majority of the people living in the valley.

If the media is designed to make Phoenix look good then why do they routinely report on violence and murders that make the city look bad? The media's concern is with ratings as that earns them money. They receive no benefit with contriving or skewing data to positively reflect on the city as you are asserting. Negative and critical news often gathers higher ratings. If the light rail was not generating money, it would probably gather higher ratings so they would have more of an incentive to report that. I know it's convenient to depict the media as being liars when their reports contradict your opinion. Nonetheless, there are always paranoid people who can't accept facts and would rather trust their own unsubstantiated opinion rather than accept that they are wrong.

Initially, you criticized the Phoenix media yet you posted a link to a December azcentral article that detailed the costs of the light rail. Azcentral is the Arizona Republic, the same newspaper you criticized when they that claimed light rail was successful and was expanding into Mesa last week. I suppose the Arizona Republic lies when their reports contradict your opinion but tell the truth when their reports support your opinion. That makes sense

Last edited by azriverfan.; 03-29-2009 at 01:15 PM..

Old 03-29-2009, 10:37 PM

768 posts, read 1,759,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuh View Post
Amen on the local media - TV and print. For the US's 5th largest city the media stinks in Phoenix. The newspaper is a waste of good timber and the silly TV news reporting is sparse with facts and heavy on fluff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area