U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2011, 10:51 AM

100 posts, read 227,591 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are getting ready to depart for Scottsdale for the winter. I was wondering if anyone knows what Flea/Tic preventative is most effective in the AZ topography/climate.
Up here in MN we use Frontline, but before I buy 5 months worth to bring down, I wanted to check and see if that's the best one for down there or if I should buy a different one to bring with.

Thank you very much for your time and input.

Mari
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 11:19 AM

32,239 posts, read 42,182,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnetonkamari View Post
Hello,

We are getting ready to depart for Scottsdale for the winter. I was wondering if anyone knows what Flea/Tic preventative is most effective in the AZ topography/climate.
Up here in MN we use Frontline, but before I buy 5 months worth to bring down, I wanted to check and see if that's the best one for down there or if I should buy a different one to bring with.

Thank you very much for your time and input.

Mari
You don't need it. Ticks and fleas are not a problem for the most part, particularly in winter. You won't get them out in the desert or in the mountains - maybe from dog parks. I have owned dogs and cats for 40 years and have never had fleas or ticks on any of them. The only time I use that stuff is when I visit back east. If you think you must, then Frontline is fine.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:14 PM

800 posts, read 1,672,738 times
"Ticks and fleas are not a problem for the most part, particularly in winter"

This is probably the first time I've disagreed with Ponderosa. Like scorpions and black widows, this probably depends on the location. I've been attacked by some sort of lawn fleas showing homes in different areas, especially non-well-kept homes that had signs of multiple dog ownership.

This summer my lawn in far NW Phoenix (bordering on the desert foothills) was apparently crawling with ticks. Found at least four in a month on the lovely dog that rescued me in August. (GROSS) They might not be native, but even if they came in from the dogs next door or from a trip to the vet or Petsmart, they existed nonetheless. Haven't seen any for a couple of months, so they may indeed be dormant now, either that or the tick shampoo used once a month has been working.

If you will be anywhere there are other dogs, or other dogs have been (like accommodations that allow pets) you do run the risk of ticks/fleas. Fleas are a nuisance, but ticks can lead to deadly complications. Do use Frontline and check your dog carefully each day. Pests may be more dormant outside in winter, but I'd still be wary.

One other thing you should do is have your dog checked for heartworm & administer Hartgard. You may be lucky enough to not see one mosquito here, but sometimes they are really bad in different parts of the Valley. In fact, a few years ago Phoenix was the West Nile Capital of North America for a while.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:18 PM

9,321 posts, read 17,060,307 times
We have had ticks brought to us by my daughter's little rescue dog. They do exist here and can be a headache to get rid of when they occupy the backyard. We use Frontline.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:34 PM

6,421 posts, read 9,768,520 times
Both of my dogs are rescues. While they might have had ticks and fleas in the (disgusting) shelter, they have had none of that since coming home with me. And they do go to the dog park every other day and are boarded for holidays. I don't use that stuff. I think its poison. I tried it on my little dog when I first got him and he got really sick from it. Never again.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:39 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,192,255 times
One of my dogs got tick fever from the dog park, and I willnever go back to one. So yes there are fleas here.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:18 PM

32,239 posts, read 42,182,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Chris Webb View Post
"Ticks and fleas are not a problem for the most part, particularly in winter"

This is probably the first time I've disagreed with Ponderosa. Like scorpions and black widows, this probably depends on the location. I've been attacked by some sort of lawn fleas showing homes in different areas, especially non-well-kept homes that had signs of multiple dog ownership.

This summer my lawn in far NW Phoenix (bordering on the desert foothills) was apparently crawling with ticks. Found at least four in a month on the lovely dog that rescued me in August. (GROSS) They might not be native, but even if they came in from the dogs next door or from a trip to the vet or Petsmart, they existed nonetheless. Haven't seen any for a couple of months, so they may indeed be dormant now, either that or the tick shampoo used once a month has been working.

If you will be anywhere there are other dogs, or other dogs have been (like accommodations that allow pets) you do run the risk of ticks/fleas. Fleas are a nuisance, but ticks can lead to deadly complications. Do use Frontline and check your dog carefully each day. Pests may be more dormant outside in winter, but I'd still be wary.

One other thing you should do is have your dog checked for heartworm & administer Hartgard. You may be lucky enough to not see one mosquito here, but sometimes they are really bad in different parts of the Valley. In fact, a few years ago Phoenix was the West Nile Capital of North America for a while.
Well, it's just my experience. I knew when I posted it that we would soon be seeing "Tales of the Tick". It is nothing like Oklahoma. I have to treat my dogs there. Even I got ticks just walking around my yard. One of my dogs did have ticks when he came from the shelter. Treated him with Frontline and never had another. Another dog got a tick in Michigan a couple years back. Frontline again and they did not return back in AZ. Obviously other's experience is different. I am with PhxBarb. I won't use pesticides around the house or on my pets unless I really have to.

I don't check them everyday and I don't shake my shoes for scorpions either. Been here too long for that kind of stuff. Never had or heard of a dog that got heartworm here either, though I am sure that half the forum has.

But anyway, for the OP, Frontline works here as well as it does there.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 12-02-2011 at 02:28 PM..

Old 12-02-2011, 04:17 PM

3,598 posts, read 1,002,849 times
Ticks can definitely be a problem in Arizona's metro areas. In Tucson, anyway, some neighborhoods have 'em, some don't. Mine does They aren't as active this time of year, but you can still encounter them around the house and on the pets. If I were you, I would just wait and see if ticks are an issue in your area. You can always buy Frontline at the local PetSmart. It is probably the best treatment after a shampoo and a dip.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:18 PM

100 posts, read 227,591 times
Thanks for the info. I will just keep them on Frontline and Heartguard as usual. I do hope to take them to a dog park near our house in PV. I know I have to go get them dog licenses first, though and will do that as soon as we settle in.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:35 PM

800 posts, read 1,672,738 times
"I know I have to go get them dog licenses first, though and will do that as soon as we settle in."

Thank you on behalf of your pooches for being a responsible pet owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area