Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 08:53 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,595,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gritz View Post
You are putting them in a bind because as federal employee's this is a no no. By doing this you could potentially cost them their job if they did not report it. They may be forced to destroy it and or fill out paper work documenting the fact that you did this and then destroy it anyway.

The below is some of the rules and regs they are required to follow. Basically it is pretty much the same for all federal employees.

Snacks and beverages that are not offered as part of a meal.
Items with little intrinsic value (i.e., greeting cards, plaques, pens, coffee mugs, etc.).
Perishable items (i.e., flowers, chocolates, cookies, etc.); if the items are clearly worth more than $20, employees should share them with others in the Postal Service workplace.
Items with a market (retail) value of $20 or less.
Gifts motivated solely because of a personal relationship.
Gifts for which the employee has paid market (retail) value.
Gifts paid for by the Postal Service.

Postal Service employees may not accept cash - in any amount or form (bills, checks, money orders) - from an outside source.
I have never known a one that gave it back or refused it so, what do you say about that......? I keep my regular mailman in candy spice drops all year and that is enough. He is paid more than I am. He is retired from the military and works for PO on another pension. My previous mailman did the same and he retired very comfortably, with considerable savings over and above his retirement. I know, I prepare his taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 09:12 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,117,550 times
There are restrictions to everything in the government when it comes to receiving gifts and such. I was also in the military and got shot a few times in combat and retired from a government position. But it seems some cry and moan about others regardless of what they believe or what the other guys take home as a salary.

If anyone would like to talk about salaries then find out what your congressmen and local politicians make as far as retirement goes....Now that is a joke and we taxpayers pay for it all.

Does 15k a month minimum sound like a good number? Give your mail carrier $20 and be thankful you are on American soil....I do ! !

Old 12-11-2011, 01:51 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,194,309 times
When my mailbox was located directly outside my home, I used to tuck $20 into a card. I felt in addition to having to make a separate stop just for my residence, having to get out to leave an occasional parcel on my doorstep was enough to warrant a little gift. I always knew my carrier's first name and on the rare instances we would see each other, we would briefly, cordially chat.

Where I am now, the mailboxes are banked and I don't even know who my mail carrier is. I no longer gift the carrier.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:21 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,593,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gritz View Post
You are putting them in a bind because as federal employee's this is a no no. By doing this you could potentially cost them their job if they did not report it. They may be forced to destroy it and or fill out paper work documenting the fact that you did this and then destroy it anyway.

The below is some of the rules and regs they are required to follow. Basically it is pretty much the same for all federal employees.

Snacks and beverages that are not offered as part of a meal.
Items with little intrinsic value (i.e., greeting cards, plaques, pens, coffee mugs, etc.).
Perishable items (i.e., flowers, chocolates, cookies, etc.); if the items are clearly worth more than $20, employees should share them with others in the Postal Service workplace.
Items with a market (retail) value of $20 or less.
Gifts motivated solely because of a personal relationship.
Gifts for which the employee has paid market (retail) value.
Gifts paid for by the Postal Service.

Postal Service employees may not accept cash - in any amount or form (bills, checks, money orders) - from an outside source.
Do they tell them how many bathroom trips are allowed per day too? Or, how many times they can blow their nose if they have a cold? The post office should spend more time worrying about how they're going to survive than micromanage every aspect of an already frayed workforce.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:37 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,262,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
Do they tell them how many bathroom trips are allowed per day too? Or, how many times they can blow their nose if they have a cold? The post office should spend more time worrying about how they're going to survive than micromanage every aspect of an already frayed workforce.

As gritz indicated, such restrictions are not limited to the Postal Service, nor to the federal government employees. State employees, including this state, are subject to similar rules. Probably city and county employees, too.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:20 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,904,457 times
I've never even heard of this until I read this thread, weird. Then again I've always only had the community mailbox thing, never one just in front of our house.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:49 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,194,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
As gritz indicated, such restrictions are not limited to the Postal Service, nor to the federal government employees. State employees, including this state, are subject to similar rules. Probably city and county employees, too.
Hospital workers are not supposed to accept tips, (respiratory therapists, physical therapists, social workers, nurses, security guards, etc.) A gift for "the entire unit" is welcome but not encouraged, i.e. a box of cookies, but a particular caretaker is not supposed to accept anything. Individually, they are not even supposed to accept small gifts under $20.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:07 AM

641 posts, read 2,360,527 times
We do not have mail delivery here, but our water delivery guy is great, He even rings the bell when we forget to put out our bottles.
We gave him two movie gift card passes.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:14 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,740,228 times
Small gifts, under $20, to mail carriers, barbers, or other regular service people are simply tokens of appreciation for providing good service.

In CA for a number of years, we had the same garbage pick up people all the time. They were great. They would wave to the residents, and if they spilled something, they would pick it up. There were two to a truck. One riding on the rear, and the other driving.

Each Xmas season we would give them each a bottle of champagne. (Under $20 each)

Then the company changed, and they had new drivers with different personalities. They no longer had two to a truck. The drivers never acknowledged you if they saw you, and if they dropped something, it stayed on the ground. The driver never picked it up. That was the end of good service and the end of a token of our appreciation for good service.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:57 PM

550 posts, read 1,119,928 times
We give 20$ each to the guys from the garbage truck (they are the same guys all year around) and we are very happy with them. We also give 20$ to the person who delivers our newspaper. And we also give 20$ to the mail person. It is the same all year around and she was there for us when we needed her. Now if every month there would be somebody else doing those tasks we would not do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area