Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 06:03 PM

2 posts, read 14,491 times

Advertisements

My family and I just moved here from Chicago area. We are used to congestion and big city life, but Phoenix is very different than Chicago. We are currently renting, but would like some suggestions for different areas as we are house hunting. Goodyear(Palm Valley), Gilbert, Chandler, Awhatukee, Laveen, North Phoenix. My husband works dowton near Washington and Central. He basically can arrive anytime before 9 am and leaves usually not until 5:30 or 6:00. We do not feel like we need to live in Phoenix itself, and are ok with a 30-45 minute commute. So we want to know what areas are really worth the commute. Meaning , we hear great things about Palm Valley, but is it worth living all the way out. We like the location of Laveen, but we hear negatives about it. We do have small children, I stay home and do not neccesarily have to do public school. We do not need all the nightlife stuff, but would like to be about 20 minutes from things on the weekends.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 06:13 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Lots of people in Estrella (formerly Estrella Mountain Ranch) think it is worth the commute. Beautiful setting in the foothills and not flat like Phoenix. Hiking, biking, sailing, golf and a private waterpark, reasonably crime free and excelling schools among other things. It's pretty sweet out here but you do get a lot of windshield time. You can get downtown in 45 minutes if you leave after 8 am. Prices run from the high 200s to over a million.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:21 PM

31 posts, read 105,462 times
what zip code would that be?
tks

Old 08-29-2007, 07:12 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicsnickers View Post
My family and I just moved here from Chicago area. We are used to congestion and big city life, but Phoenix is very different than Chicago. We are currently renting, but would like some suggestions for different areas as we are house hunting. Goodyear(Palm Valley), Gilbert, Chandler, Awhatukee, Laveen, North Phoenix. My husband works dowton near Washington and Central. He basically can arrive anytime before 9 am and leaves usually not until 5:30 or 6:00. We do not feel like we need to live in Phoenix itself, and are ok with a 30-45 minute commute. So we want to know what areas are really worth the commute. Meaning , we hear great things about Palm Valley, but is it worth living all the way out. We like the location of Laveen, but we hear negatives about it. We do have small children, I stay home and do not neccesarily have to do public school. We do not need all the nightlife stuff, but would like to be about 20 minutes from things on the weekends.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

How about Ahwatukee?

Old 08-29-2007, 07:13 PM

132 posts, read 592,838 times
I would look into Avondale, Goodyear, Litchfield Park, or Laveen.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:22 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota85 View Post
what zip code would that be?
tks
It's 85338, but that's not much help as that is same zip as all of Goodyear. It is south of I-10 on Estrella Parkway (exit 126). Cross over the river, wind up the hill through the desert, and when you get to the lake you are there.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:51 PM

5 posts, read 22,665 times
I would rent right now and not buy. The areas out west are not experiencing any sort of appreciation at all. Renting is much cheaper than buying.

I also moved here from Chicago. I lived in Scottsdale, Litchfield Park, Peoria and Glendale. I currently live in Scottsdale in the McCormmick Ranch area.

It really depends on what type of neighborhood lifestyle you want. Estrella is very nice. The only huge community with a lake large enough to really matter.

Take a look at Verrado if you like the classic picket fence neighborhood feel. It's a little farther.

Palm Valley is nice, but its just a regular subdivision IMO.

Don't pick Laveen and don't pick Avondale south of the I-10.

I personally like my area in Scottsdale. It's not old town scottsdale and not N. Scottsdale. It's an older neighborhood though, but has a great feel.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:27 PM

63 posts, read 264,805 times
I live in Arrowhead - 85308. It's a Glendale address, but is very far northwest Glendale. Arrowhead Mall is very close, as are tons of restaurants, Costco, Sams, etc. Our high school and middle school were both rated A+ (an AZ rating for excellence) - not really brand new homes, but the neighborhoods are pretty nice - some customs as well. The 101 Freeway is close too.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:42 PM

178 posts, read 801,070 times
with young children, I'd imagine you'd want a place in a good school district. Madison #1, at Missouri and 16th St. is a excellent district. The neighborhood just to the east of it, Beverly Park, is a lovely area and quite safe for children. From this area, you are right near the shopping areas along 20th St. and Camelback. The commute to work at Washington and Central would be about 30 minutes or less. Also, in about a year, the train line which goes down Central will be open, and it's only a few minutes from Beverly Park. The established neighborhood of Beverly Park is between 20th St. and 19th st. and just north of Missouri. People who live there area don't spend so much of their time in the car. There are large trees and lots of greenery in the area and small quiet streets- pleasant and safe for children and a great place to take a walk!
Some areas in the valley have not seen the big drop in house values due to their location and/ or landscaping/ construction type. Beverly Park is one of those locations which have held their value. You might like to check it out. good luck wherever you end up.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:17 AM

547 posts, read 1,185,330 times
Default I respectfully disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by biophase View Post
Don't pick Laveen and don't pick Avondale south of the I-10.
I respectfully disagree with biophase. Avondale has a small town feel to it with friendly diverse people. There are good and bad areas just like with any city or town in Arizona whether it be East or West Valley. The West Valley area has grown a lot over the last few years and just about everything is available there. No Nordstrom or AJ's Fine Foods in the area yet but hopefully it will just be a matter of time. Plenty of other shopping opportunities, movie theaters, medical facilities, restaurants of every type and golf courses everywhere. We chose the West Valley over the East Valley to avoid the dust wall every Monsoon.

If you like big developments then you might like Estrella or Verado but if you want some space between you and your neighbors and a yard large enough for your children to play in rather than bringing them to the neighborhood park, then you might be disappointed with those areas. However, they do have their positive points. Personally, we didn't like that both have only one road in and out.

Best of luck to you in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area