Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 12:24 PM

86 posts, read 234,951 times

Advertisements

Interested in Goodyear the homes seem to be very reasonably priced and very nice.Is it a safe city is it a good city to be raising a teenage daughter as far as schools go.I took A look at Estrela and it seems to be way out there in the middle of nowhere.My wife and i are not party animals by no means but we like to get out once and awhile to a nice restaurant maybe out for a couple of drinks.Dont want to be out of touch with the world sort of speak.How is the commute say to Phoenix or Scottsdale.Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. TKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 01:01 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,133,514 times
I've lived in Goodyear for going on four years and my family and I really like it here. Far enough detached from the busyness of the Phoenix metro area with access to everything the valley has to offer. As you know, you can experience crime anywhere, but we have not been exposed to anything and feel very safe here. I would recommend Goodyear as one of the best places in the West Valley to live.

There are better schools in the Phoenix metro area but they are not bad in Goodyear. I have two teenagers and both are happy and thriving in school. I commute to downtown Phoenix which takes 25 minutes with no traffic and 45 minutes with traffic. Scottsdale would be a longer commute which I wouldn't be up for doing every day.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:08 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,101,484 times
Estrella is a little bit isolated - even from the rest of goodyear .... they are building services up there more and more .... however, there is no mistake that you need to go up/down the mountain and that will tack on some time to just wind through the community .... however, it's lovely up there, the schools are good, it's safe and part of the reason people choose to live there is that it's a bit disconnected

Estrella is just one part of goodyear though

Since your daughter is a teenager I won't get into the 3 elementary districts that serve the city - for HS you are looking at Estrella Foothills (Buckeye District) and the schools in the Agua Fria District (Millenium, Verrado, Desert Edge and Agua Fria)

Here you can see the boundaries

Boundaries - Home

Of those schools I have them listed in order of prominence - millenium performs really well - verrado is new and going through it's growing pains, but on the whole does fairly well

Note that there are neighborhoods in Avondale (west of dysart) that do zone into Millenium and although some of the Canyon Trails neighborhoods are closer to Desert Edge they currently are zoned to Verrado

Commute to Phoenix depends where in the city - my rush hour commutes are usually around 45 minutes and I work near metro center ...... it was actually a little longer when I worked near mid-town because of having to spend more time on surface streets - should also be noted I live relatively close to I-10 ...... if I were in Estrella it would add 10-15 minutes onto that

In non-rush times it's usually 20-30 minutes to downtown and 30-4 minutes to the airport/tempe

I do not think I would want to commute to scottsdale .... when I have business over there it's usually not too bad getting there (roughly an hour) - however getting back can be pretty tough

there are some very solid food options - I haven't been to the new concepts at the Wigwam resort yet, but that is probably the closest to upscale dining that we have .... there are some nice options in arrowhead though and the drive to downtown or the resorts isn't that bad for a night out

The communities are safe for the most part, a lot of the development that was planned is on delay or will be scrapped/reworked

Average household income and a lot of the demographics are favorable as well

It's just still a relatively young city ..... everyone looks for different things, but I find that most of what I need I can get very easily and the stuff I do less often I need to drive a bit for (i love nice restaurants/nights out for example......)

There are decent places to drink & dine ... just not much of a scene

A lot of good community activities, recreation, etc. Good access to the estrella mountains & white tank mountains - a lot of good about it

The biggest negatives I could think of would be that it doesn't work as a commute for everyone, local job options are still a bit limited and some of the services really haven't come together yet

Old 12-21-2011, 11:40 AM

419 posts, read 1,519,200 times
As the above poster mentioned, Millenium is a good HS. It's also in the north section of Goodyear (adjacent to Litchfield Park, and I believe part of the LP district, widely considered a top west valley district).

I really like this area, as it's close to most of the better west valley attractions.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:44 AM

Millenium is in the Agua Fria HS District - the neighborhoods that are zoned into Millenium would all be in the Litchfield Elementary SD, which is very good.

It can take a while to figure out all the districts & zoning in this metro...............

Old 12-21-2011, 12:48 PM

Great replies thank you everything seems to be very spread out.Looking to find basically the best bang for my buck as far as a nice sized home good schools and definetly a safe area.Not somewhere where my door gets kicked in by mistake because my neighbor is smuggling drugs or illegals.If you know what i mean.Goodyear on a map looks like a straight shot into Phoenix probably hammered with traffic during rushhour.There is a possibility i will have work in sky harbor airport.I will be retired collecting a pension from where i am now retiring at age 47.So i will be looking for some work to keep my sanity save my marriage and make a couple of bucks to supplement my pension.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:00 PM

It is a straight shot in on I-10 and most of the city is within a pretty reasonable distance .... for some of the northern communities within goodyear it's also common to run a surface street over to the 101 if you are heading north

sky harbor could be fine as long as you aren't working during a traditional rush hour (which many airport jobs are not)

during rush hour I-10 is pretty clear until around 83rd ave - then it's a parking lot usually until about 51st avenue and clear from there to pretty much the airport (can occasionally back up a little near the tunnel as you have I-17 south joining in and cars waiting to get onto the 51 and 202)

on the way out it's a little more difficult and you'll be looking at a slow down pretty much from the curve all the way out to 51st ave - the first & earlier bottleneck is the 202 and 51 joining into I-10 right before the tunnel and then you get the I-17 traffic just after the tunnel ... once clear of that it's smooth sailing, but the bottleneck covers a lot longer span

some who live in south goodyear will also just take the back roads into the airport during rush hour - it adds more time than a non-rush drive, but can be shorter than the rush hour commute and more consistent

Old 12-21-2011, 01:33 PM

I see the a good school district being in the litchfield park area.How is life in Litchfield itself.I see a municipal airport and an air force base from the satellite looking down on area.Do these two airports create alot of noise for the community.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:59 PM

the school districts & cities do not align up completely and there is no unification

For example, in Goodyear you can either be in the LESD (litchfield ESD), Avondale ESD or Liberty ESD .... then HS will either be Agua Fria HSD or Buckeye Union

The Verrado master planned community is in Buckeye, but is part of the Agua Fria HSD

You live in Avondale - so your kids will be in the Avondale ESD, right?! ........ maybe not, they could also be in the LESD or Pendergast ESD

I have friends who live in Avondale over by the Catholic Church/Goodyear Community park and they are zoned to the LESD and Millenium

It can definitely get confusing - another thing to note again is that there isn't unification, so you need to look at the next step when buying

For example, in the LESD you have elementary schools & middle schools. The elementary schools run k-5. Middle school is 6-8. At that point you are done and moving onto your HS district.

There are some districts that run their schools as k-8 (many in the glendale ESD are like this).

I think LP proper may be the only city in the SWV where you have 1 ESD & 1 HSD that covers the entire city .... the again, the entire city is just over 3 square miles .... which brings up a separate point

LP is a great little city, however not every address that says LP is LP ... there is a lot of unincorporated county land that needs to have a postal address - many of these are assigned a LP address .... however, they are not residents of LP, do not get LP services, etc ... they get whatever is called for under the contract that the county has setup

some of these neighborhoods are great - some leave a little more to be desired (although I don't think any of them are really bad)

typically if you live in goodyear/avondale/lp north of I-10 you will hear some jet noise from Luke .... I've never been bothered by it when visiting friends - not so much to the south, although you do on occasion

Tolerance is very individual though - i was recently golfing in the pebble creek community and you could definitely hear & see them .... spend some time in the area and you'll get a feel for what it's about and if it's something that works for you

Here is some more info on Luke AFB
Luke Air Force Base - Fact Sheet (Printable) : FLIGHT OPERATIONS AND NOISE QUESTION & ANSWER

Here is their flight path
http://www.luke.af.mil/shared/media/...070118-165.pdf

I live near the goodyear airport and very seldom hear much of any noise that comes from there

Old 12-23-2011, 10:28 AM

27 posts, read 88,858 times
We just moved here from Hawaii six months ago. Goodyear is a very nice community. If you're looking to buy new. There are several projects just north of I-10 around the Pebblecreek Parkway. If you need to commute to town, there's very convenient access to the interstate there.

And, as you mentioned, the prices (and mortgage rates) in this area are currently quite reasonable.

We live in Morada -- just off McDowell between Pebblecreek and Sarival.

As is true in any new area, there is much to adjust to. For us it has been the heat (and actually the cold) as the biggest adjustment. But we were also a little taken aback by the sales tax rates -- both state and municipal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area