Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 11:55 AM

421 posts, read 1,073,243 times

Advertisements

Which one's are the best MBA colleges in Arizona ?
How much is the Tuition ? and ratings ?

I am looking for a MBA in marketing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 12:11 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
I would think that the business schools at ASU and U of A would be the highest rated. Ratings you can look up online, tuition, even instate, is not cheap, but also accessible through their websites.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:42 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
ASU has the strongest national ranking of any of the mainstream programs ..... overall pretty solid ..... by far the best program in the state is Thunderbird .... it has an international focus and is consistently rated near the top for what they do

More info can be found on their webpages and other ranking sites

My MBA editorial is know exactly where you want to go and what you want to do with it ...... its an advancement degree and you should have a path to offset the high cost

Old 12-25-2011, 09:34 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,132,728 times
I wouldn't get an MBA without an employer willing to pay for it, personally. It's expensive. A few years ago the ASU online MBA program was like $50k. Employers say they don't like to hire people with a masters because they expect too much money out of the gate and don't often have the experience needed. So make sure you've got an employer looking for an MBA with your background. Also, consider Phd programs. They will 'thrown in' a masters often, and the good ones often offer fellowships so the student doesn't have to pay much.

ASU has a highly ranked business school. There are rankings published annually. Just google business school rankings 2011.

Also, I don't know if you can get an MBA in marketing? I thought an MBA is just a masters of business administration, period (no specialization).

When I got my ASU business degree they said the MBA program was basically the same 30 credit hour business core curriculum that BS students got, but for people with non-business undergrad degrees who had been out in the workforce and had been promoted to mgmt. and now needed business basics.

I don't know how true this still is but a few years back the people I knew with University of Phoenix MBA's said they were better off leaving that off their resume, the program's rep had gotten so bad.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:18 AM

150 posts, read 305,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
I wouldn't get an MBA without an employer willing to pay for it, personally. It's expensive. A few years ago the ASU online MBA program was like $50k. Employers say they don't like to hire people with a masters because they expect too much money out of the gate and don't often have the experience needed. So make sure you've got an employer looking for an MBA with your background. Also, consider Phd programs. They will 'thrown in' a masters often, and the good ones often offer fellowships so the student doesn't have to pay much.

ASU has a highly ranked business school. There are rankings published annually. Just google business school rankings 2011.

Also, I don't know if you can get an MBA in marketing? I thought an MBA is just a masters of business administration, period (no specialization).

When I got my ASU business degree they said the MBA program was basically the same 30 credit hour business core curriculum that BS students got, but for people with non-business undergrad degrees who had been out in the workforce and had been promoted to mgmt. and now needed business basics.

I don't know how true this still is but a few years back the people I knew with University of Phoenix MBA's said they were better off leaving that off their resume, the program's rep had gotten so bad.

Yes you can get an MBA with a specialization, as a matter of fact a Prof. told me once that these are preferred over ordinary MBA's. I don't know how accurate this information is, but after the Enron thing happened lots of people pointed their finger at some of the MBA programs for not teaching enough ethics in their programs.

I know where I got to school the MBA classes are basically the same as the undergrad business classes with maybe an extra paper or project or something similar. A few of the classes use the same book as its undergrad of the same name.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:20 AM

421 posts, read 1,073,243 times
Thanks for replies everyone, so far it looks like if I have to get a MBA from a good college then I will have to spend about $50k , which is out of my reach, unless my employer helps me out.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:02 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,222,821 times
I think Thunderbird School of Global Management may be the highest ranked MBA in the state. I would chose Thunderbird over ASU and UofA.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:54 AM

I think Thunderbird is highly ranked among international programs. I was surprised the US News rankings have it currently ranked at 75th, behind UofA (63rd) and ASU (27th). They all use different criteria, though.

A Thunderbird MBA runs $50k-80k, the low end is for the accelerated program.

phoenix_new- There are a lot of employers out there with tuition reimbursement programs. Good luck!

Old 12-27-2011, 01:54 PM

72 posts, read 137,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
I think Thunderbird is highly ranked among international programs. I was surprised the US News rankings have it currently ranked at 75th, behind UofA (63rd) and ASU (27th). They all use different criteria, though.
I heard that Thunderbird's rank dropped quite a bit because it recruits too many international students (low entrance criteria), and the impact has also been affect accordingly.

This was one or two years ago. Not sure the situation now.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:00 PM

I had a remodeling job quoted by a lovely (foreign) man who happened to have a Thunderbird MBA but found he made better money running a kitchen remodel business. I was surprised that with that MBA that he didn't use Excel for his math. His quote to me sounded terrific, then we checked the math and his total was about 40% lower than it should've been, had he added correctly. Everyone makes mistakes, but why not use Excel for what is basically a spreadsheet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area