Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2011, 04:17 PM

213 posts, read 377,544 times

Advertisements

My husband says that it has high levels of arsenic in it....what say you??

Sud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 04:25 PM

800 posts, read 1,915,510 times
"Water in Arizona" is a pretty big brush to paint with. There are several different water suppliers that come from different sources just in the Phoenix area! While the flora in the water in one vicinity can have an unpleasant odor, taste, and questionable safety, another area a few blocks away could have water so refreshing that you could bottle and sell. I've noticed fairly high levels of arsenic on some of the reports on the water in my location. I think the water companies have to make public the tests on their water periodically - maybe you could find out who your water supplier is and see if they have the tests on their web site?

Old 12-31-2011, 04:35 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,965,361 times
Assuming you mean tap water...yes I've drank it before if I ran out of bottled, I'm pretty sure there has to be some law or rule that says it has o be safe for drinking.

Arrowhead water is the water of choice though, love that stuff.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:00 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,774,865 times
Is this a serious question lets see i have dranks AZ tap water my whole life and I'm not dead yet

Old 12-31-2011, 05:30 PM

7,218 posts, read 9,284,753 times
Yep! I drink the tap water here.

Several municipalities have quality reports online about the water. There is Arsenic some places. Read the following:

http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/water/az1112.pdf

You can also google Arsenic in Arizona Water.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:17 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,087,247 times
the tap water here is entirely safe....it is tested daily and may be "safer" than some bottled waters....arsenic is probably in many municipalities' water, but not at a dangerous level....

the tap water, though, may taste "earthy", chemically, or what have you, but that's normal....buy a Brita- or Pur-type fridge filter if you'd like....but please don't buy plastic bottled water and clog up the landfills after one use of the bottles.....

Old 12-31-2011, 11:42 PM

44,676 posts, read 61,787,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykatlady View Post
My husband says that it has high levels of arsenic in it....what say you??

Sud
If it did we'd have 4 /12 million dead bodies here would'nt we...

Old 01-01-2012, 07:13 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,692,154 times
I've read that large city water supplies are usually pretty safe. Some people drink the bottled for the aesthetic appeal.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:23 AM

39,121 posts, read 51,371,476 times
Your husband is right! Arsenic is a common contaminant in water in Arizona and California. However, any municipal source has to meet Federal standards which means that the arsenic content must be equal or less than than 10 parts per billion. This has been the law since Clinton left office (it was briefly overturned by Bush but then reinstated. The old standard was 50 ppb). The law resulted in over a third of wells in AZ and an even higher percentage in California being shut down. Some consider 10 ppb to be overkill, while others think the standard should be more relaxed. Nevertheless, public water supplies do meet the standards now through treatment or mixing.

Private wells are another matter. It is reasonably likely that a private well in AZ does have significant arsenic contamination. If you are considering a non-municipal (private) source then you should investigate this matter further. If you are moving into a house served by a city or a private water company operating a public utility (the vast majority of us) then you can relax about it.

NOTE: Getting rid of arsenic and other contaminants at home can be done with an inexpensive under sink reverse osmosis unit. Many people use these to remove sodium that water softeners add and to improve the taste of their drinking water.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:22 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,934,738 times
I use a good water filtering system at home for drinking and cooking. I avoid drinking tap water whenever I’m away from home if possible. Different water companies will tell you that their water is at or above the standards of good healthy drinking water. The question is can you trust them and their water?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: