U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 04:44 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,243,053 times

Advertisements

Apologies in advance, but I'm going to be a scrooge. I am extremely patriotic, so fireworks are part of Americana (even though they were invented in China). But since the time our family dog got spooked from the noise of fireworks several years ago and ran away and never returned, I understood that some valuable people or animals are offended by them.

I will be flamed for saying this, but fireworks after ten pm disturb the peace. Last night in southeast Phoenix they were set off through 2:00a.m.

I read up on the law and in Phoenix city limits (which I am in), all consumer fireworks (including ground-based and sparklers) are illegal to be set off. I called the police after ten pm and the dispatcher was ignorant of the law.

I work on the east coast so I have to get to bed early and wake up very early. I am very quiet as I am concientious that dishwasher's, W/D's, TVs can disturb my other neighbors if I am awake and turn on those appliances, so I put myself in my neighbors' shoes.

The police in fact did look the other way of course. Perhaps if I owned a $500,000 house (or greater value) instead of rent a $950 per month apartment the Phoenix police would have responded.

What use is a law if it's not enforced?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 05:02 PM

5,944 posts, read 7,563,777 times
Police aren't worried about fireworks on New Years. They're on the prowl for drunks behind the wheel.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:25 PM

710 posts, read 3,165,394 times
Phoenix PD had 400+ calls an hour from 1200-0600 on 1/1/12

Historically they have never dispatched officers to loud music, gunshots, or fireworks on New Year's Eve; those are low priority calls which are simply broadcast 'as information' to officers in the nearby beat areas.

It's a question of dealing with an extreme number of calls and limited manpower.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:48 PM

267 posts, read 635,607 times
I sympathize because New Year's sounded like a war zone, though in our area it subsided maybe a half hour after midnight. If the police are too busy, would there be any possibility of fire marshals trying to do something about the more dangerous instances (unsupervised children, extra-heavy-duty fireworks)?

Old 01-02-2012, 09:21 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,071,925 times
Setting off fireworks is illegal in Phoenix and most other valley cities.

The police need to respond to the calls and enforce the law like they are paid to do.

If that doesn't work call MCSO and report a gang of illegals are setting off fireworks, Nickelbag Joe's posse will be out there in a heartbeat.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:37 AM

267 posts, read 635,607 times
In our neighborhood grocery store (Mesa), I saw fireworks for sale still on New Year's Day. If they're that readily available, people will assume they're legal to use. In some parts of the world, cities restrict fireworks to what are considered relatively safe and prohibit not only the use, but also the sale, of fireworks that can go beyond a certain height or have too much explosive force and noise. Of course, people may import illegal fireworks sold in unincorporated areas or tribal lands.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:47 AM

34,926 posts, read 45,042,789 times
Firing guns into the air is the time-honored Arizona tradition on New Year's Eve. Better fireworks than guns.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:46 AM

1,232 posts, read 2,920,544 times
Mesa's law:

The use, discharge or ignition of permissible consumer fireworks is limited to
June 28th through July 4th and December 30th through January 1st on private property with the property owner's permission.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:42 PM

17,471 posts, read 23,148,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
Mesa's law:

The use, discharge or ignition of permissible consumer fireworks is limited to
June 28th through July 4th and December 30th through January 1st on private property with the property owner's permission.
Actually, it's legal on those dates in Mesa, Gilbert and Queen Creek.

Hold your fire: Fireworks legal to buy, but still might not be legal to use in many areas - East Valley Tribune: East Valley Local News

Howard, my sympathies on the dog. We had a Doberman once who was rather sensitive to these kinds of noises, and if we had to go out, we left her in her crate AND left the radio on, loud, during the high risk days for fireworks.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,786 times
If it's legal to possess and purchase a thing, it should also be legal to use it. If it is too dangerous to responsibly use, it should also be illegal to possess and/or buy. Nothing else makes sense. The hodgepodge of self-contradicting laws on this (and so many other) subjects is just plain absurd. I would also understand it more in dry times in the high country, but in mostly concrete cities? More stupidity. It seems that the government gave in to the seller groups, but not to the people in general ... corruptocrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area