Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2012, 02:35 AM

1 posts, read 4,838 times

Advertisements

Does ANYONE know what the laws are here in AZ, about lease breaking due to neighbors and their activities? I have been in my apt for 2 years and since we have new managers for the complex, all of my new neighbors are loud and rediculous...i have like 4 months eft on my lease but i can't stick it out, i need to sleep! Please fee free to send me some advice if ya have any...thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 06:49 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,001,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsleep77 View Post
Does ANYONE know what the laws are here in AZ, about lease breaking due to neighbors and their activities? I have been in my apt for 2 years and since we have new managers for the complex, all of my new neighbors are loud and rediculous...i have like 4 months eft on my lease but i can't stick it out, i need to sleep! Please fee free to send me some advice if ya have any...thanks!
First, send the owners not the managers a letter detailing the issues. Second, call the cops, call 'em again, call 'em again. Plead your case to the officers, many will understand and will act if your neighbors are out of line.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:28 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,775,672 times
Here is the landlord tenant law: Arizona Residential Landlord and Tenant Act

Keep a log of the times, duration and volume of the noise. Record it from inside your apartment.

If you discuss the issue with your neighbors, do that before making any complaint. If they threaten you, then make a note of that, and report the threat to the police.

When you make a complaint to the owner, discuss it verbally and be sure to send a written complaint.

Mail two letters. One should be regular mail. The second should be certified mail with return signature requested.

If you call the police, get a copy of the police report to keep with your report files.

This is not legal advice. It is only meant to mention some of your options. For legal advice you'll need to contact a real estate attorney.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:02 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,131,980 times
I think you probably have more likelihood of getting the neighbors to shut up at night than getting out of your lease. The law is on your side on that first one. Call the police when they're noisy after 10pm or whatever the law is in your area.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:04 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,898,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
I think you probably have more likelihood of getting the neighbors to shut up at night than getting out of your lease. The law is on your side on that first one. Call the police when they're noisy after 10pm or whatever the law is in your area.
It depends on the city. I've had problems with noisy partying neighbors in Scottsdale and the cops here WON'T do a thing even after 10 pm.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:29 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,001,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
It depends on the city. I've had problems with noisy partying neighbors in Scottsdale and the cops here WON'T do a thing even after 10 pm.
That's where small claims comes into play. Been used in CA for years now, especially against reticent landlords.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:49 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,056,730 times
If all of the above fails, try ear plugs or a sound machine to get you through the next few months.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:10 PM

800 posts, read 1,910,472 times
"Does ANYONE know what the laws are here in AZ, about lease breaking due to neighbors and their activities?"

You can't break a lease because you don't like that your neighbors are noisy, or do "x activities".
Your landlord is obligated to keep the building fit and habitable, but generally they don't have a lot of control over the external environment. If your neighbors are doing something illegal, even if it's just making a nuisance amount of noise, that is a job for the police. That doesn't mean that sending a written complaint, clearly stating the problems, who is creating them, and when the problems are occuring, to the property managers definitely won't have a positive outcome. If your neighbors' units are being managed by the same managers, they may be breaking their lease by creating that kind of environment - most leases have clauses about respecting city ordinances and not engaging in illegal activities. In that case, the managers need to know about it. I have a feeling, if your neighbors are really that bad, they won't be there long.Best of luck to you.

This is not intended to be taken as legal advice, I am not a legal expert.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:30 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,932 times
I live in an apartment complex with two six plexes back to back. In the summer I like to sleep with the windows open. One of the neighbors in the unit next door liked to invite friends over to drink beer, party and play loud music from about midnight to four A.M. Things would wind down at about six A.M. I have a high quality reel to reel tape recorder with some old 500 Watt MacIntosh speakers. After most of the neighbors leave for work I would play back the noise from the obnoxious neighbors wild party from the night before. My system puts out out some serious wall shaking sound. They played hell with his hangover. When the Cops came I invited them in and explained the situation to them. He moved shortly after.

GL2

Old 02-06-2012, 03:44 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,637 times
Sometimes, these situations need to be less about who is right than what is in your best interest.
I would move.
Can't be very safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area