Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 10:57 AM

36 posts, read 65,993 times

Advertisements

I have some questions regarding emplyment, to anyone who has relocated from anywhere to Phoeniz area.
Did you have a job setup before you decided to move? Or did you just pick up your stuff and move? In what industry do you work.
BTW, my wife, our daugher (19 months), and I want to move out there. I have sister there (they didn't have any jobs setup when they moved). We've been out there 5 or 6 times, in the hot months and the cooler months. But I'm a little nervous about moving out there without having a job first. I'm a manufacturing engineer in the aerospace industry, and my wife is a nurse (RN).
So I'm just curious how many people had marbles to just move without having a job first. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 11:38 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,320,049 times
I have done that before and its not easy going to a new city without a job. You might want to stay where you are now if you have a current job and move when the economy gets better or until you have a job lined up in a new city. honeywell has an aerospace division in phoenix but in general phoenix does not have a lot of high quality jobs unless you work in the real estate or medical industry.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:48 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,808,636 times
As some of you probably know already, I joined the city-data forum even though I am not a residence of Phoenix. But because I am would like to relocate in the near future, I thought this would be a great way of networking. I currently work for a global company in which I thought it would be easy to tranfer,but it has not been "GRAVY". It has not been easy to score an interview, much less an offer since I am out of state. I apply regularly on job search boards such as CareerBuilder.com and Indeed.com, scours the classifieds in local newspapers and searches Google for the latest openings.

I've found it very difficult to make connections without living in town, though. I am very hesitant to book a trip to visit without any interviews lined up, and moving to Phoenix without a job isn't an option...(Not that crazy So, readers, any advice on finding a job from out of town? All comments are welcomed. Thanks and God Bless.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:51 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,993,050 times
I'm moving to the Phoenix area with no job after the 4th. But I am single with no children and no debts. Plus I have around $8k saved up and I have potential job connections. I also have the luxury of family that will shack me up while I look for work and an apartment. Worst case scenario for me is having to suck it up and work fast food or retail.

You've a lot more on your plate to deal with. Look to see what kind of work is availiable in your field. If your wife is a good nurse I don't think she'd have trouble finding work anywhere.

Best of luck to you.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:56 AM

380 posts, read 1,063,160 times
don't assume fast food and retail are still hiring. I haven't been able to get hired as a Substitute Teacher. They used to be desperate for Subs.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:07 PM

80 posts, read 172,151 times
I cant speak for an RN, but my wife is a Physical Therapist with 15 years exp. working in nursing homes and skilled nursing facilities. We recently moved here with my job (transfer), so we never went without income and had a corporate relocation package to help with settling in. The plan was for my wife to take off the summer and be with the kids, but after she inquired with a few facilities in the area, she now has offers from several companies for work. She works PRN or as needed and is not interested in going back full time, but the jobs seem to be out there if you want them. She went into one facility to work on a Saturday and they call here daily asking for her to come back for more work during the week. One job wanted her to come to work after just seeing her resume and a short phone call.

I guess it just matters what industry you are in, but I would think an RN could find work quickly or even before she gets out here.

My wife needed to be certified in the state of AZ to work here and that took a couple of months and she had to take a test, so she got that all out of the way before we moved.

Good luck and the whole family loves it here, no regrets so far.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:09 PM

104 posts, read 293,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by still_in_CT View Post
I have some questions regarding emplyment, to anyone who has relocated from anywhere to Phoeniz area.
Did you have a job setup before you decided to move? Or did you just pick up your stuff and move? In what industry do you work.
BTW, my wife, our daugher (19 months), and I want to move out there. I have sister there (they didn't have any jobs setup when they moved). We've been out there 5 or 6 times, in the hot months and the cooler months. But I'm a little nervous about moving out there without having a job first. I'm a manufacturing engineer in the aerospace industry, and my wife is a nurse (RN).
So I'm just curious how many people had marbles to just move without having a job first. Thanks.
I think to each their own. With your wife being an RN, she will not have a problem getting a job (I can give you a little information on this). I am not familiar with what you do, so i cannot give any advice on this.

I moved to Arizona without a job and found one fairly quickly. It may not have been what i wanted at the time, but it paid the bills until i had a chance to do more research and networking with people.

The key to making a jobless move was having a very strong inner sense that everything would work out. Its not for everyone but it can be done

We are leaving Arizona in a few months, on our last adventure (leaving for personal reasons) and i will be doing the same thing. Having said that...just do your research before you leave and you will know when/if to make your move

Old 06-24-2010, 01:05 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,359,422 times
For many like my parants they are retired. They also sold a home that they owned in California. That home in California cost them $13,000 and they sold it for $338,000 in 2003. The home that they bought in Surprise cost them $132,000 and it is paid for.

My sister and her husband moved to Glendale in 2005 and bought a place without having a job. He was retired from the navy and they now both work for the University of Phoenix.

Another sister moved there and was able to get work in a medical office within a few weeks of getting there.

As far as being an RN it depends on the state that the RN is licensed in. California is accepted in any state. Not all states are accepted in other states. You will need to check. Saying that I know of many in California that moved to Arizona and found jobs when they got there or from visiting the many area hospitals web sites.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:16 PM

148 posts, read 279,909 times
To the OP....

I do not currently reside in Phoenix, but am an RN, and know 5 nurses who reside in the Valley (as I lived there previously). They all have jobs and state that all their places of employment are currently hiring. I hope she at least has a Bachelor's Degree and a certification in her area of expertise...they would definitely help in this job market. Hopefully she has a few years of recent job experience...and she will have no problem.

In this economy, employers are obviously able to be more picky...and with everyone and their uncle trying to get into the nursing field (or other health care areas), it is more difficult for the new graduate or less educated. Also, if she works in areas like ICU, ER, or OR, she can also pick her own salary. Bottom line, even nurses are not in as much demand as in the past...too many in nursing school, fewer retiring, more working two jobs, people coming back from retirement or other fields, etc.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:32 PM

380 posts, read 1,063,160 times
I think that is a very fair assessment. It is not the 60K per year right out of school, promised to many, but the demand is there for sure. Cutbacks are everywhere (except school district administration).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area