Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2007, 12:40 PM

24 posts, read 174,216 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a relocation to Phoenix, and I wanted to ask if anyone could recommend neighborhoods that are generally decent, accessible to public transit, relatively walkable (grocery stores nearby), with homes that are $225K and under.

I know that's a lot to shoot for, but I thought I'd ask anyway!

Kelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 04:42 PM

551 posts, read 2,725,361 times
One thing to keep in mind is that Phoenix is generaly a driving city -- not a walking city. We are currently adding a light-rail system (http://www.valleymetro.org/METRO_light_rail/Downloads/Maps/index.htm - broken link), but in my opinion, it will (at least initially) be severely under-utilized and will only serve a single 20-mile route. The bus system is also not very good.

As for recommended neighborhoods, that depends on a lot of factors. Most importantly, will you and/or your husband be working? and if so, where?

Old 08-30-2007, 08:20 PM

24 posts, read 174,216 times
We do both plan to work, but I would be limited to what's accessible by public transit. . .that's really not a big deal for me, as I'm used it. Philly's transit system is good, but it really limits you to the downtown area for work. All of my jobs in Philly have been in the Center City area for that reason. My husband will be able to commute by car, so his options are more flexible.

Basically, I just want to be able to get to work from home via public transit in under 60 min. My husband would probably like a 45min or less commute.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 08-30-2007, 11:20 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,077,414 times
Do you mean the bus? I would consider anything within a 1/2 hour to Phoenix. That would take you an hour by bus. The system isn't that great though. Really check into it. Everyone drives here.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:50 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,161,525 times
We really can't direct you in an area unless we know where both of will be working. Have you been to Phx before? It's a REALLY big place and it's impossible to pinpoint an area when you don't where you'll be working. In Phx metro, you can virtually work anywhere. You could end up in one of the suburbs.

Once you find where you'll be working, then look at the bus lines on valleymetro.com and then find areas that have the bus to get to work. At that point, we can help you a lot more.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:43 PM

648 posts, read 3,089,331 times
there is a park and ride bus station on bell road around 36th street. the bus runs to downtown nonstop. i'm not sure of the house prices in the area but maybe aren't too high.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:27 PM

133 posts, read 433,236 times
Park and Ride helps broaden your options considerably. For pure proximity, however, I've got to recommend Laveen (assuming that you are looking for a new house). Here's a transit map: System Map
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: