U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 04:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,088 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone would like to introduce ourselves and thank everyone in advance for any advice/help you could give us in make our decisions and apologize for such a long post. We’re a couple in our mid 40’s with children that have grown up and moved out. Animal lovers with one dog, Jack Russell, and a cat. We currently live in the eastern most part of Ohio near the West Virginia border with my wife working locally and me driving to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania every day to work (roughly 120 miles a day). My wife works in Insurance providing both home and auto and I currently run my own business working as a sub-contractor specializing in kitchen and bath remodeling. I fair really well in what I do but my wife could do much better, small town pay is bad. Moving is not motivated buy more cash flow for me, but I would love to see my wife get paid what she’s worth.

We’ve been lurking the forums for about 2 years now trying to make up our minds on where to relocate that would better serve our needs and interests. I’ve been pretty fortunate to have been all over the country living in Daytona, Florida and Ashfork, Arizona in my younger years.

Our motivation in finding a new location comes from the cold weather, not being able to keep things clean in the winter time and the overall boredom and repetitiveness of living in the same area for most of our lives, not to mention the overall rudeness of drivers and people in general in our area.

We’re trying to find a place where people are generally happier and more laid back, a place that the weather allows us to enjoy or interests and hobbies more. We both enjoy the outdoors, dune buggies, side by sides and riding our motorcycle. I’m also really into photography, running my radio controlled cars, mountain biking and sport shooting /collecting firearms. We also enjoy going to Renaissance Fairs on a regular basis. So as you can see we’re relatively active and interested in living a healthier lifestyle.

So my question to everyone is, does it seem like we’re a good fit for the area? I understand that no matter where you go nothing is perfect but we’re trying to find newness in our lives, a challenge if you will for both of us. How is the remodeling business in the area for an honest hard working individual that actually enjoys what he does? What about the Insurance business?

We own our current home and we’re looking to put it on the market this spring so our budget is questionable for now till we see what we can get in this economy. We’re also in the process of simplifying our material life and selling off a lot of things so if things go well we’re about a year away from making a move. My ideal is to find a nice home to rent with at least a two car garage maybe a pool to ease the heat so that we can make a living with future plans to find some property off the grid for us to go and play and relax on the weekends. Is this pretty common and or doable?
Looking to make a trip out in July of this year to get a taste of the heat and go exploring to see what the area has in store for us. Once again, thanks for the info!

Last edited by Kimballette; 02-14-2012 at 05:21 AM.. Reason: paragraph spacing
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 06:57 AM

4,486 posts, read 15,830,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makanator View Post
Hello everyone would like to introduce ourselves and thank everyone in advance for any advice/help you could give us in make our decisions and apologize for such a long post. We’re a couple in our mid 40’s with children that have grown up and moved out. Animal lovers with one dog, Jack Russell, and a cat. We currently live in the eastern most part of Ohio near the West Virginia border with my wife working locally and me driving to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania every day to work (roughly 120 miles a day). My wife works in Insurance providing both home and auto and I currently run my own business working as a sub-contractor specializing in kitchen and bath remodeling. I fair really well in what I do but my wife could do much better, small town pay is bad. Moving is not motivated buy more cash flow for me, but I would love to see my wife get paid what she’s worth.

We’ve been lurking the forums for about 2 years now trying to make up our minds on where to relocate that would better serve our needs and interests. I’ve been pretty fortunate to have been all over the country living in Daytona, Florida and Ashfork, Arizona in my younger years.

Our motivation in finding a new location comes from the cold weather, not being able to keep things clean in the winter time and the overall boredom and repetitiveness of living in the same area for most of our lives, not to mention the overall rudeness of drivers and people in general in our area.

We’re trying to find a place where people are generally happier and more laid back, a place that the weather allows us to enjoy or interests and hobbies more. We both enjoy the outdoors, dune buggies, side by sides and riding our motorcycle. I’m also really into photography, running my radio controlled cars, mountain biking and sport shooting /collecting firearms. We also enjoy going to Renaissance Fairs on a regular basis. So as you can see we’re relatively active and interested in living a healthier lifestyle.

So my question to everyone is, does it seem like we’re a good fit for the area? I understand that no matter where you go nothing is perfect but we’re trying to find newness in our lives, a challenge if you will for both of us. How is the remodeling business in the area for an honest hard working individual that actually enjoys what he does? What about the Insurance business?

We own our current home and we’re looking to put it on the market this spring so our budget is questionable for now till we see what we can get in this economy. We’re also in the process of simplifying our material life and selling off a lot of things so if things go well we’re about a year away from making a move. My ideal is to find a nice home to rent with at least a two car garage maybe a pool to ease the heat so that we can make a living with future plans to find some property off the grid for us to go and play and relax on the weekends. Is this pretty common and or doable?
Looking to make a trip out in July of this year to get a taste of the heat and go exploring to see what the area has in store for us. Once again, thanks for the info!
Arizona sounds like a great place for you. It meets most of your criteria and offers the type of lifestyle you're looking for.

Have you researched where exactly in Arizona you'd live to relocate? How much of a budget do you have? Is being close to good shopping, restaurants, etc a must?

Old 02-14-2012, 07:19 AM

9,321 posts, read 17,187,142 times
If you are touring in July, take lots of cold water with you in the car. We almost passed out our first tour in July to look at homes.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:23 AM

10,419 posts, read 12,023,762 times
I think people are "happier and more laid back" outside of Phoenix, personally speaking. Years ago, I'd say yes, but it's so large now, it's got more of a large metro/large population feeling to it. These things are so subjective anyways, it's hard to know how you'll feel about a place till you visit and feel it yourself. Not that there aren't "friendly people" here but the general vibe to me just isn't that anymore. But, Tucson, Flagstaff, Prescott areas might be more along those lines.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:28 AM

4,486 posts, read 15,830,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
I think people are "happier and more laid back" outside of Phoenix, personally speaking. Years ago, I'd say yes, but it's so large now, it's got more of a large metro/large population feeling to it. These things are so subjective anyways, it's hard to know how you'll feel about a place till you visit and feel it yourself. But, Tucson, Flagstaff, Prescott areas might be more along those lines.
I was thinking a bit after my original post and Sedona might be PERFECT for them. Absolutely one of the best parts of AZ albeit not exactly the cheapest. If you can swing the price tag, Sedona may be your best bet!

Old 02-14-2012, 08:00 AM

4,874 posts, read 9,527,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I was thinking a bit after my original post and Sedona might be PERFECT for them. Absolutely one of the best parts of AZ albeit not exactly the cheapest. If you can swing the price tag, Sedona may be your best bet!
He says he is trying to find a place where his wife can make more than she is now in a small town. I doubt Sedona is the right place for high paying jobs. I think the opportunities would be greater for both of them in the Phoenix metro area.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:29 AM

1,490 posts, read 3,106,983 times
I can't recommend any particular place but I was in almost the same circumstance as you are. 4 years ago, my life was shakey at best. I was 48, my kids had grown and flown the coop, my wife had just passed away, work had slowed down because of the economy (I'm a contractor) and suddenly I found myself living alone on 6 acres in a VERY small town in Oregon. As it turns out, I got bored very quickly and wanted to make a change. Since it almost always gloomy and rainy in Oregon I wanted to go someplace sunny so I looked in California, Texas, New Mexico, Florida and all the rest of the sunbelt.
Nothing had all the things I was looking for until by chance, I looked at Arizona. The Phoenix area in particular. Phoenix seemed to offer all that I had sought. Nice weather, TONS of outdoor activities, a surprisingly large amount of water (I love fishing) and it was certainly affordable.
Anyway, it took me 4 years to sell my place in Oregon and I made the move down here and I must say, it's the best thing I've ever done. I absolutely love it here. Even the summers when it's sizzling outside.
I ended up in far east Mesa. I'm right on the fringes of civilization. 2 blocks in one direction and I'm in the middle of the desert. 2 blocks in the other direction and I've got Home Depot's, malls and anything I could ever want or need.
A lot of Mesa doesn't have a great reputation but this part of Mesa is newer homes and sub-divisions.
I looked around in Phoenix and the areas closer in but it wasn't for me. It felt like Orange County California. Don't get me wrong, it was nice but just too much big city for me.
Anyway, I made the move without a ton of money, without a job lined up and without much "stuff". Like you, I got rid of a lot of stuff before the move just to simplify my life. I have an old truck, an old boat, no pets and the house I ended up with has very little landscape to take care of. It's mostly desert landscape and I couldn't be happier.
My place has a very large lot, a pool and I'm close to town and close to the lakes. I'm pretty happy.
So my point is that yes, it sounds like Arizona might be a good fit for you. I know it is for me and it sounds like we were in very similar situations.
Come on out for a week or two during the heat of summer. If you can handle the heat, you'll most likely love it here.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:37 AM

1,122 posts, read 2,712,081 times
I think Arizona sounds like a very good fit for you. What is a side by side? Motorcycle with a side car? We definitely have everything else you mentioned. I know of people moving here just for the photography. Arizona is a very diverse state with all kinds of photo opportunities.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:57 AM

1,490 posts, read 3,106,983 times
One thing I forgot to mention. The lifestyle.
The people are, for the most part, extremely nice. I haven't seen but just a couple of rude people. Everyone else has been more than helpful and caring. At least in my neck of the woods.
It is definitely a slower pace around here and I like it that way at this point in my life. At 52, I'm enjoying a little slower pace although I have anything I would ever want or need very close by.
As you can tell, I'm very happy with my move, the area I ended up in and the people around here......

Old 02-14-2012, 02:57 PM

170 posts, read 289,398 times
Ive been living in AZ for 8 years. AZ is not for everybody and not in your best interests, from what you have said. Reasons: 1. OH may get dirty in the winter, but the desert dust makes AZ dirty all the time, especially in the summer. 2. Talk about repetitive lifestyles, AZ is the epitome of repetitiveness because the weather NEVER changes. No seasons. Nothing. Just hot and dry days every single day. The sunlight will become oppressive after a while, making U wish for a cloudy day every now and then. 3. If you don't want rude drivers, AZ is definately not for U. Everyone here drives like they own the road and can't read road signs. They do whatever their want on the road. Its a free-for-all on the roadways here. 4. I don't find people in AZ to be friendly in the least. Lets just say it aint the Midwest, and aint called the Wild West for nothing.

Thats my intake on it. I just comment according to what I see and have learned. There are many people who are happy about moving to AZ and then leave when they discover they don't like it. Personally, I would try looking in New Mexico, Colorado or Northern Utah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area