U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 12:06 PM

15 posts, read 45,859 times

Advertisements

Are there any lakes in phoenix, or near phoenix or in Arizona Where you can swim in, boat, and ski at?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 12:14 PM

17,851 posts, read 40,510,744 times
IN Phoenix? No, not for all three of those things. Limited boating on Tempe Town Lake only, no swimming or skiing. Closest lakes for more than that are Lake Pleasant to the north and Saguaro and Bartlett Lakes to the northeast. In the whole state, there are several others, if you want to ask about those other lakes, try a search in the Arizona forum for Lake Havasu, Lake Powell, Roosevelt Lake, etc. A good map will give you the info you need-- a lot depends on what you are really looking for.

Last edited by observer53; 02-20-2012 at 07:06 PM..

Old 02-20-2012, 12:37 PM

800 posts, read 1,792,235 times
An often cited factoid (whether it's true or not is up for debate) is that Arizona has more boats per capita than any other state. There are also supposedly more miles of shoreline in AZ than the West Coast.

No, there are no lakes as you described in Metro Phoenix. However, there are many fairly close water-sport lakes (reservoirs, actually) to the NW (Pleasant), NE (Bartlett, Horseshoe), and E (Canyon, Saguaro, Apache, Roosevelt). Pleasant is arguably the most popular with boaters, but there is no swimming beach. Each lake has its own pros and cons, depending on whether you want to swim, water-ski, camp, angle for bass, or watch the antics of spring-breakers.

Other popular large lakes not-quite-so-close to Phoenix are Lake Powell, lake Mead, Lake Havasu, and Alamo Lake. Some are great for houseboating, some for watersports, some for swimming, some for fishing.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:45 PM

36,291 posts, read 46,500,507 times
add Salt River just east of town for tubing.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:34 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,350,215 times
I can finally speak with a little knowledge about the lakes around here. ha!
I'm an avid bass fisherman so when I decided to move from Oregon, I wanted a place with warm weather, relatively low cost of living, and water. Lakes, rivers, ponds....it didn't matter to me but I love being around water.
I spent 4 years looking for a good place and it always came back to Phoenix. Surprisingly, there are lots of lakes and ponds around here.
Fishing and swimming can be had even downtown at Tempe Town Lake and many other "urban lakes". Jet skiing, water skiing, fishing, swimming and more can be found at several lakes that are just outside the suburbs such as Lake Pleasant, Bartlett, Saguaro, Canyon and others.
With just a short drive, you'll be at one of the lakes and in the water.
I happen to get a house just minutes from Saguaro and Canyon Lake. Being an avid fisherman, I'm pretty happy about that. It certainly wasn't planned that way but it worked out just fine for me.
If you don't mind driving an hour or perhaps up to two hours, you can be at several other bodies of water. Alamo, San Carlos and others.
A little farther and you can be at Lake Havasu, Lake Powell and more.
That's one of the many things that drew me to this area. Even though it's a desert, there is a lot of water around.
If you have any questions about the lakes, just shoot me a PM.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
I can finally speak with a little knowledge about the lakes around here. ha!
I'm an avid bass fisherman so when I decided to move from Oregon, I wanted a place with warm weather, relatively low cost of living, and water. Lakes, rivers, ponds....it didn't matter to me but I love being around water.
I spent 4 years looking for a good place and it always came back to Phoenix. Surprisingly, there are lots of lakes and ponds around here.
Fishing and swimming can be had even downtown at Tempe Town Lake and many other "urban lakes". Jet skiing, water skiing, fishing, swimming and more can be found at several lakes that are just outside the suburbs such as Lake Pleasant, Bartlett, Saguaro, Canyon and others.
With just a short drive, you'll be at one of the lakes and in the water.
I happen to get a house just minutes from Saguaro and Canyon Lake. Being an avid fisherman, I'm pretty happy about that. It certainly wasn't planned that way but it worked out just fine for me.
If you don't mind driving an hour or perhaps up to two hours, you can be at several other bodies of water. Alamo, San Carlos and others.
A little farther and you can be at Lake Havasu, Lake Powell and more.
That's one of the many things that drew me to this area. Even though it's a desert, there is a lot of water around.
If you have any questions about the lakes, just shoot me a PM.
Have to correct you here-- NO swimming at Tempe Town Lake, or for that matter, any of the other "urban lakes" (which are really private or semi-private- on golf courses or housing developments). They stock fish at Tempe Town Lake occasionally, but I don't know what the fishing is like.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:11 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,350,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Have to correct you here-- NO swimming at Tempe Town Lake, or for that matter, any of the other "urban lakes" (which are really private or semi-private- on golf courses or housing developments). They stock fish at Tempe Town Lake occasionally, but I don't know what the fishing is like.
Whoops! My mistake. I just assumed there was swimming there. I learn something new every day.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:19 PM

36,291 posts, read 46,500,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciamred View Post
Are there any lakes in phoenix, or near phoenix or in Arizona Where you can swim in, boat, and ski at?
Lake Mead on the AZ border is the largest man made lake in the US. Lake Powell,also on the northern border, is number two.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
Whoops! My mistake. I just assumed there was swimming there. I learn something new every day.
It was never intended for swimming, it's not built for swimming, and the water quality won't permit it. They work on it a lot before the Ironman triathlon, which is the only time swimming is allowed, just for the competitors.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:57 PM

23 posts, read 61,385 times
the ironman triathlon is crap. who are the moron event planners in this city closing off all of North Tempe / South Scottsdale for hours on a Sunday? It took me 45 minutes to travel 1.2 miles and had to take alternate routes due to exits being closed on the 101 and 202. I was on the 101 north and university was closed.....mckellips is closed... and then you come flying up on McDowell and there are hundreds of cars looking to exit and it took some blue angel maneuvers on my part to avoid rear ending the cars in front while at the same time moseying over to avoid getting rear ended from behind. complete chaos- next time I'll know better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>