U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 10:41 AM

12 posts, read 64,305 times

Advertisements

We are planning on moving to AZ within the next 4 months. We are looking online at homes and many are next to washes. What are the pros and cons to buying a home next to a wash? Should I be staying far away from them? The areas we are looking into are Laveen, Litchfield Park, Cave Creek and Queen Creek. Are the washes in some areas less harmful than others?

Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 01:01 PM

3,632 posts, read 15,040,831 times
I would stay away from a wash as a few times a year they can fill up and flood and then you can't pass it to get home. I see it on the news a lot during the monsoon. There will be people standing around waiting a few hours for it to go down and so they can pass. This only happens to a very small percentage of people and only some washes.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:34 PM

9,496 posts, read 27,949,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberty413 View Post
We are planning on moving to AZ within the next 4 months. We are looking online at homes and many are next to washes. What are the pros and cons to buying a home next to a wash? Should I be staying far away from them? The areas we are looking into are Laveen, Litchfield Park, Cave Creek and Queen Creek. Are the washes in some areas less harmful than others?

Thank you
The biggest positive to living next to a wash is guaranteed privacy which, as far as I am concerned, is much more valuable than the negatives associated with a wash.

Good Luck

Old 09-08-2007, 08:05 PM

12 posts, read 64,305 times
Thank you. I guess my main concern was if I bought a house next to a wash, if I could expect my house to be flooded during monsoon season.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberty413 View Post
Thank you. I guess my main concern was if I bought a house next to a wash, if I could expect my house to be flooded during monsoon season.
Just make certain it is a DEEP wash that is well maintained! ! ! ! !

Old 09-09-2007, 12:39 AM

683 posts, read 2,458,967 times
You might have more critters around your house. Washes are like a super highway system for coyotes. That wouldn't bother me though, I would like to live next to a wash. Just make sure there isn't any spots with standing water where mosquitos breed.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:51 AM

647 posts, read 3,126,748 times
Wash = no one living there which = privacy I'd much rather back to a wash then have a giant 2 story house looming down on us in our backyard.

I've heard of people in Maricopa being stranded due to flooding roads but I don't know if that was tied to washes. As well, I've heard of people in the north being stranded or flooded during monsoon - the news just reported this happening within the past couple weeks - I think it was Cave Creek but I could be wrong. But those are older areas and I don't think the wash systems are as well done as they seem to be at least in Chandler and Gilbert. They seem to have more flooding problems there then they do out here in the southeast valley, though it really can happen anywhere.

If it's a deep wash, I'd be very comfortable buying there. Enjoy your privacy!!

Old 09-13-2007, 10:10 AM

609 posts, read 1,984,519 times
Sorry for the ignorant question, but what is a wash really?

Old 09-13-2007, 10:19 AM

235 posts, read 860,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerclaws View Post
A normally dry streambed that flows during and shortly after significant rains.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerclaws View Post
LOL @ Tigerclaws . . . GOOD ONE!

Any place else in the country they would be called "ditches" or "gullies" or possibly "open sewers" but out here there seems to be a need for a classier, more sophisticated name . . . another example of WHAT'S IN A NAME?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area