Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 01:54 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,120,108 times

Advertisements

Depends on WHERE in Michigan.

The hustle & bustle of southeast MI is the same as the Phoenix area. About the same amount of people too.....

Northern MI, (esp. da U.P.) is a completely different world.

The biggest difference comparing AZ to MI regarding the laid back areas?

Going to the lake.

Do ya wanna drive......or do ya wanna walk?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 07:58 PM

27 posts, read 86,513 times
I have lived in Michigan for all 41 of my years. Most of them spent in a small lake community in Irish Hills. Yes, the small town feel is great and being on the water has its advantages...but we are leaving Michigan for Arizona right after the school year ends. There is just nothing here any more. So many things about the economy point to continued struggles in this state for years to come. The cost to drive a car just went up...again...another money grab for insurance companies here.

Arizona is where my job offer is and we really will not be depressed to stop shoveling snow nor battle pot holes in the spring. The sun is a beautiful thing and living on the Colorado River will offset the summer heat. Good luck in your choice.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:36 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,692,154 times
You don't shovel snow here, but you do have extreme heat about 4 1/2 months/year--100-107 range with some weeks of 110-112's. This past August it was 112-114 nearly every day. Not everyone can handle heat like that so it has to be a consideration when moving.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:32 PM

26 posts, read 46,156 times
I am 34, so I guess Sun City is out of the question lol. I also live in the mountains in NM, so I can do winters, no problem. I have moved around a lot in my life, and have lived in all different types of climates--so I can do winters, although AZ summers intimidate me--but I'm sure I'd adjust.
The appeal of MI is that, well, I really do love the state. It's so laid back and I love all the farmer's markets and lakes. I also have all my extended family in the Chicago area, but much prefer MI--and like the fact that I would be driving distance to them. I came across Haslett (outside of East Lansing) and really fell in love with the area. The only thing that concerns me is that people keep telling me how awful the winters are--including my mother who is from IL. I have lived in CO for 13 years, and up here in the mountains for about 4. Mom and I are going on a road trip in May to explore AZ more, as she is wanting to move to AZ as well. So far on my list of places to explore when I'm in AZ is Ahwatukee, Tempe, Lake Havasu City, Tuscon, Flagstaff and Gilbert. ...I don't need a big lake to put a smile on my face, just a decent sized like with a boat launch. I'd really like to find a place without a lot of chain places, and with a good community vibe--and additional input is warmly welcomed!

Old 03-22-2012, 11:06 PM

267 posts, read 694,309 times
Tempe Town Lake is very small and restricted to motorless sailboats, paddleboats, kayaks, Hawaiian war canoes, etc. Lake Pleasant NW of Phoenix is much larger and gets a bit of everything. The lakes east of Phoenix offer additional variety. What sort of boating would you like to do?

Old 03-23-2012, 08:17 PM

26 posts, read 46,156 times
The area that appeals to me the most in Michigan is Haslett (outside of East Lansing.) I like the close-knit feeling of the place.

...As far as what kind of boating I like to do, I suppose I prefer skidoos and pontoon boats the most. I really don't need a big lake, just a lake with a dock for boats.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:34 PM

1,197 posts, read 2,284,265 times
If Flagstaff is on your radar then I would check out Prescott as well. Not too much with either as far as lakes go, but there are a few mountain lakes on the outskirts of both towns. But Prescott has small midwestern town feel to it and it's closer to Phoenix than Flagstaff.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:33 PM

464 posts, read 834,138 times
Default Done SW MI lake living & survived our AZ heat...

...so I found this thread amusing as I grew up in MI and returned with my husband to the sprawling countryside and then moved to be on the lake. We just moved to AZ over a year ago and after surviving a maddening long, hot and still hot summer last year....we're good. It's simply the reverse of winter midwest months and if you've moved around before...I'm sure you will acclimate.

What we miss about MI lake living: The tranquility of being on the water and the ever abundant greenery. The beginning of each season change...my Dad told me Sunday that the sweet cherries are currently in full bloom in SW MI and just beautiful.

What we love and (sometimes) hate about AZ: The sun and heat.

We like our Fountain Hills but there is no lake here. In SW MI, you would like Paw Paw Lake in Coloma, Lake Chapin in Berrien Springs and the St. Joseph River.

Good Luck in making your life an adventure!

Old 03-24-2012, 11:11 AM

675 posts, read 1,418,577 times
makeit- what do ya mean there's no lake??? we have the 3rd tallest fountain in the world shooting from the middle of a lake! ok, so it's not a lake you can take a boat on.. but we have one of those a few miles up the road.

yves- Ascribing a feeling like "laid back" to an entire state is a bit nonsensical. Within any geographical area as large as a state you are going to find places that cover the spectrum from "laid back" to whatever the opposite is. Any state will have that.

Apparently you've experienced some specific feeling or area in rural Michigan that appeals to you. But I guarantee you could find that same thing in the rural areas nearby in Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, etc. And there are places in AZ and every other state that will give you that same feeling you're looking for.
What is going to be distinctly different about the 2 states are the climate, the timezone, and things like laws, taxes, & cost of living, and of course proximity to friends and relatives. But "laid back feeling"?? that can be found in any state.

The biggest attraction for AZ for us was of course the climate. And we've found a small town here (Fountain Hills) that is very quiet and laid back, and yet is just a short drive to one of the largest cities in the country, where we can find everything we need.

Good to hear you're planning a visit- that's the best way to find out! May will be a great time of year to visit.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:47 PM

464 posts, read 834,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
makeit- what do ya mean there's no lake??? we have the 3rd tallest fountain in the world shooting from the middle of a lake! ok, so it's not a lake you can take a boat on.. but we have one of those a few miles up the road.
Too funny, Zathras, as I was going to mention our 'Fountain Lake(?)'...

I believe Saguaro Lake is 30-35 minute drive from us Fountain Hillers, correct?

P.S. Our orange blossoms are in full bloom and smell simply magical so it indeed rivals Michigan's cherry blossoms...

Last edited by observer53; 03-27-2012 at 01:51 AM.. Reason: fixed quote bracket
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area