Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2012, 09:26 AM

3 posts, read 4,085 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I live in NH and are planning a move to AZ in a few months. I have a 5 months old and am looking for a low crime family oriented area. I was told Mesa was a goot start and that we wouldn't have problems fiding jobs. We will rent a home for 6 months and if we like the area then buy. Could anyone tell me if the jobs are good out there and if indeed we not have trouble finding work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 09:33 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,131,336 times
I would say the job market is tougher here than most places but it's entirely dependent on your field. I wouldn't move a family without a job unless I had a lot of savings and probably even relatives nearby, for worst case scenario options.

I don't think you can pick a suburb and say, "that is a nice, safe, family place" anymore than you can say that about any huge area. All the suburbs have great areas and not so great parts.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:51 PM

17 posts, read 29,930 times
What is your field? I would suggest finding a job first and then finding a home, as Phoenix is pretty big and traffic can be brutal if you have to drive all the way across the city. I live in Mesa and drove from here to North Phoenix everyday and my commute was at LEAST 45 minutes. Not fun.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:09 PM

122 posts, read 272,588 times
NH's unemployment rate is 5.1%, down from a peak of 6.7%. AZ's rate is 8.7%, after having peaked at 10.4%. YMMV, but don't expect a job search to be easier than in NH. Have you been to the Valley? It's a great place with lots of friendly people, but if you haven't visited yet, do yourself a favor and visit first. Several times if practical.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:46 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,911,585 times
jobs totally depend on your field. if you post specifics we can help you out with that.

Mesa is family oriented and safe, and so are many other areas of the valley....but mesa is one of the cheaper cities to live in. along with that, it is very conservative and has a reputation for being boring, which i'd agree with. the schools are decent, i'd look in the red mountain and mountain view school districts, personally. i commute to south phoenix from north mesa every day and i think even though it's pretty far, the traffic isn't too awful.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:34 PM

I'm not worried about the not having enough money aspect, we have a pretty good"nest egg" in savings. I do agree with AZ trails, maybe we should visit first before deciding on moving there. we do not have any family out there, we just want to get out of NH. The Job search in NH is not very good, and it also takes some time to find a job here.i work in the medical field,as i would expect it to be easier to find employment. thanmk you for your comments! They are helping me

Old 03-23-2012, 01:36 PM

What about the Surprise area? Any comments at that? I have Noticed there are TONS of houses for sale, which makes me think the jobs are hard to find and fewer than Mesa area if people are getting foreclosed on........

Old 03-23-2012, 01:42 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,131,336 times
If you're going to rent for the first 6 months, why not pick somewhere very central and then you can work in Surprise or Mesa or wherever you land a job? And then you can move to that suburb when your lease is up.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:42 PM

15 posts, read 22,604 times
Try the Banner Healthcare website for job listings. They employ a lot of people and have hospitals all over the valley.

I live in Mesa and I like it. It's quiet and sleepy and that suits me fine. There are plenty of lousy areas in Mesa though. Check the Dobson Ranch area of Mesa for a nice safe area that is super close to freeways. (That could become important since you have no idea where you'll be working.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area