U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2012, 05:26 AM

2 posts, read 2,916 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am thinking about moving to the Phoenix/Scottsdale area, and I was wondering how the job market is...I recently visited the area and totally fell in love with it.

To tell you a bit about myself, I presently live in the chicago area (suburbs), I have been living in Illinois since 4 years and I absolutely hate it, so i think it is time to make a move. I am tired of paying ''inflated'' price for rent, and i feel so lonely here, I am in my mid 40's , divorced and childless and I find it difficult to find a good job here in Illinois, and I think that Arizona seems to be more affordable for a single female. All I have found for work here is in jewerly, and I also do not like retail. I am possibly looking to find work in an office, or in the tourism industry who knows... was thinking about taking a real estate course once I am established in AZ. I speak 2 languages, french (canadian) and english and i hear there is a lots of canadian moving into the area or buying properties (snowbirds), so maybe i would feel more at home over there.

Could i get your input and a word of advise about the job market and also where would be the place to live in the area.

Thanks so much, all your advise is greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 08:40 AM

213 posts, read 361,024 times
If you're willing to work very hard and work extremely hard to FIND a job, you'll find a job. Just sayin'.......

Sue

Old 03-25-2012, 10:01 PM

8,873 posts, read 15,615,255 times
There certainly are a lot of Canadians in Arizona, at least here as snowbirds. I used to work in a furniture store and we joked that we should fly the maple leaf above our door since the only customers we had were Canadians furnishing their condos.

You WILL have trouble finding a job but you will have trouble finding a job everywhere. At least Phoenix is the fifth largest urban area in the U.S., so that will improve prospects. Unfortunately the job market everywhere in the U.S. is not kind to people your age (said a person who moved to Arizona when she was slightly older than you are). You might be getting in under the wire. But my advice would be, if you are going to move don't wait until you are 50 because it's unlikely you will get any job then. Look as young as you can, lie about your age, and accept the fact you're probably never going to get the job you are really worth. Also, you do know that salaries in Arizona are much lower than they are in the Chicago area, don't you? That is somewhat ameliorated by the fact that the cost of living is lower than Chicago (rent and taxes especially), but it's still a kick in the head.

As for improving your social life ... learn to golf.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:14 AM

213 posts, read 361,024 times
I'm 46. Look 46. Didn't lie about my age either. Got a job within 2 months. Decent job. Not as much as I was making in Syracuse but I did accept the first job that came along. Figured I'd keep looking, if needed.

Three of us that came out here in December all got good jobs within 2 months.

Make looking for a job, a full-time job. If you want to work and work hard looking for work, you'll find a job.

Tired of people saying that there are no jobs out here.

If all else fails, you can temp until you find a permanent job.

Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area