Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2012, 12:09 AM

7 posts, read 8,600 times

Advertisements

First off, I know that there are so many moving threads about Phoenix, advice on the area etc. I've been scanning the forms for about 4 months and finally created an account. My question is pretty broad because I'm open to moving to any of the different areas, I just need help or ideas.

Little history on me,
I moved cross country, from the East coast to PHX in Dec. I did as much research as I could on short notice (like, 2 day notice) - trying to find the best area to live in, so on and so forth. I luckily found someone in the area that let me move into their home with no lease term - giving me time to scope out the area. I thought that picking a city and finding a house/condo would be easier once I got here...but yet here I am four months later. I've been living in SW PHX..Laveen.. since I got here. Most of the reviews from online and from co-workers all ring the same, putting Laveen as one of the poorest choices of areas to live in near Phoenix. But it seems clean enough. Everyone keeps to themselves. Granted, they don't wave and smile like they do when I'm driving through a housing complex in Gilbert, but at least it's quiet. I haven't had any issues here yet. I don't mind the area too much, I do miss color, grass, shopping being near by. I drive northwest or east when I have to go anywhere to get anything, usually Gilbert or Goodyear. Reason why I've waited so long to get serious about moving is my drive to work (while it takes 35 minutes) isn't heavily congested. I'm only about 9 or 10 miles from work. I take surface streets the whole way downtown to where I work, right by cityscape. I want to move somewhere that I can still take surface streets and get to work in <35 minutes. I'm not complaining about the time of the commute, over East I was driving about 90 miles a day for both days, all interstate but it was a consistant 70mph. Not going to find that here. I simply do not like traffic, therefore driving on i10 or any other interstate during rush hour is out of the question for me. I would be traveling during rush hour.

I'm living in a full house, 2 car garage right now. I would hate to give that up but I'm thinking that it's much for cost efficient and sensible for a single person with 1 child to be in a condo.

So to get to the point: My question is, what advice can you give me on areas within 15-20 miles from the center of downtown that I could drive to on surface streets, during rush hour in approx 35 minutes? I love how Gilbert seems but I'd probably be crazy to drive from there to DT everyday. It reminds me of home, the yards have grass unlike Laveen which is mainly desert landscaping. I narrowed in on Scottsdale and Ahwatukee, but then when I look at apartments/condos the reviews are all terrible. I'm terrified of the idea of scorpions too, I haven't seen any over here in Laveen. It seems like the commute from Ahwatukee would be pretty nasty. What about Chandler? I'm hoping to move to the East valley if I do move. I wouldn't mind living near downtown if the cost was right and the area safe, but then I'm worried about finding a good daycare near downtown.

Any advice is appreciated. Any areas I should drive through, or even if you guys have any recommendations on good condos would be amazing. I'm simply at a lost, never lived in a big city, yet really any city. I come from a small rural area. Let me know if I left out any details that might get me better advice. I just want to be safe and close to work.

Edit:: I've also considered Tempe for condos, but I like quite. Is Tempe too much of a college type area?

Last edited by hbll425; 03-28-2012 at 12:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 12:46 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,472,793 times
You can't do surface streets from Chandler in that time frame. Ahwatukee is a maybe, the first part, getting up to Baseline Road without getting on the freeway, would be a little slow. I used to take Baseline from Tempe into Phoenix at times, but I haven't done it in a long time, or timed the trip in rush hour.

Not all of Tempe has a college town feel, in fact most of it doesn't, but some of the parts that are closest to downtown Phoenix, (except some of the older single family home neighborhoods on the west side of the city) are the college student areas.

I would be looking in Phoenix itself, too. There are areas in north, northeast, and north central Phoenix that would work. And, many of them would have the greener feel that you like. Don't rely on online reviews of apartments too much. Those sites are plagued with people with axes to grind.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:53 AM

I might do a Tempe to downtown trip this weekend to see how I would do it. Obviously traffic is much different on a weekend than rush hour, but it might give me an idea. I'm not familiar with any central/north east areas, I honestly haven't spent much time driving around there. I've been trying to spend a little time in the different areas each weekend, knowing I'm going to move eventually. How is central phoenix and NE for safety? Would that be 7th ave and bethany home type area? I know I took an hour on lunch and drove there and back to the mall from work one day. It seemed ok but a little rough right off 7th ave.

I'm not too picky on the time I guess, as long as I am not in grid lock. Somedays it takes a good 30 minutes alone to get from work to the daycare I use in Laveen, and an addition 15 to get home after that.

I totally agree with what you said about the reviews. I keep telling myself that too, but they still get to me, thinking - what if.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbll425 View Post
I might do a Tempe to downtown trip this weekend to see how I would do it. Obviously traffic is much different on a weekend than rush hour, but it might give me an idea. I'm not familiar with any central/north east areas, I honestly haven't spent much time driving around there. I've been trying to spend a little time in the different areas each weekend, knowing I'm going to move eventually. How is central phoenix and NE for safety? Would that be 7th ave and bethany home type area? I know I took an hour on lunch and drove there and back to the mall from work one day. It seemed ok but a little rough right off 7th ave.

I'm not too picky on the time I guess, as long as I am not in grid lock. Somedays it takes a good 30 minutes alone to get from work to the daycare I use in Laveen, and an addition 15 to get home after that.

I totally agree with what you said about the reviews. I keep telling myself that too, but they still get to me, thinking - what if.
I'm talking a much wider range than just 7th Ave and Bethany, but that's not a sketchy area, although your definition of sketchy may be different than mine.... you must have been further west, since you are talking about "the mall". You need to spend some weekend time looking around. There's crime everywhere, but there's areas in those sections of Phoenix that are every bit as safe as the suburbs you are drawn to. What is your budget?

Old 03-28-2012, 12:06 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,137,134 times
I would look in Phoenix. I don't think being downtown or near it is really any less safe or less likely to have good day care. Plus there are tiny houses in the older areas, so you could avoid the condo thing.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:31 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,323,058 times
well Chandler has a express bus service to dowtowm Phoenix
Valley Metro | Bus Routes
so does goodyear

Old 03-28-2012, 12:45 PM

39,107 posts, read 51,328,001 times
Sounds to me that you like where you are (forget what people on C-D say, you have first hand knowledge now). It is within your commute range. Mountain views. Why move? Condos mean neighbors 6 inches away, sometime above or below, rules and more rules, no parking, no where to put your stuff, no private yard where your kid can play without having to worry about pervs. Condos are great for old people and snowbirds. I dunno. If it were me, based on just what you said I would be re-upping on my lease.

As for daycare, my wife worked downtown for a while and we dropped our daughter at the downtown YMCA. The place is massive and they had swimming and all sorts of programs for the kids.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 03-28-2012 at 12:54 PM..

Old 03-28-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixmike11 View Post
well Chandler has a express bus service to dowtowm Phoenix
so does goodyear

Yes, there's express service from both Chandler and south Tempe. It takes longer than 30 minutes, but if you aren't driving, and get to be in the car pool lane, it's an easy trip. There's also express service from north Phoenix along the 51. www.valleymetro.org , and from the northern part of the I-17 corridor, and Mesa and Gilbert.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:02 PM

I would be driving. I couldn't see not driving.

I would be staying here. I like the house. I've gotten used to the area, even if the lack of greenery is depressing. I have a convenient route to work and have solid dependable daycare. However I'm paying 950 + all utilities on a 4 bd house. I use 2 bedrooms and 1 bath of the house and can't afford to furnish it completely yet. It seems like I'm not using common sense by staying here and paying for the conveniences of the house, when I don't need the space. I'm not in a lease, at all. Just a mutual agreement between the house owner - so either of us can screw the other over at any time. All I care about is privacy and a garage.

I think I'm going to look in South Scottsdale, Central Phoenix, and maybe Tempe?

I'd thought about the downtown YMCA but read bad reviews on their daycare. It's right at work so it'd be obviously nice. I'd live in a loft downtown and use the YMCA if I could find anything nice downtown that was cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area