U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 10:11 PM

7 posts, read 9,972 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in our late 40s and flying in to Phoenix mid April to search for a vacation home 150k- 200k budget. We are planning on paying cash. I have been trying to find ads for homes posted for sale by the owner, online,where do az's post these on the web? We are thinking the Gilbert area if we can find something in a gated community. We probably won't be using it more than 2 weeks a year till we retire and have no desire to rent it out. Any help would be appreciated. Ideally we want small lot but large covered pati0 2/2plus den or 3/2 newer home with a view, golf course would be hubby's dream <2000sq ft. We actually have a realtor there my son helped us find but not to impressed so far. Also I am a smoker and am looking for a hotel that allows smoking on a patio I think the Gilbert area is all smoke free properties, is there somewhere in Chandler. If you could recommend another area to look at not too far from the airport in Phoenix(<45min cab ride) I would appreciate it. Thanks for taking the time to read this. And no we have never been to Arizona but so excited to be scratching it off are bucket list.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 10:49 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,072,724 times
In that price range you should check out Casa Grande/Maricopa area also. Since this is a retirement home, commute wont be an issue and you get more for your money a little further out from downtown Phoenix and (like everywhere in PHX area) there are LOTS of Canadians in both cities. Exactly 45 mins to the airport.

Im not sure of the rules on the 55+ communities as to whether you can buy them with limited use until you are actually 55....but those would fit your bill very well...many on golf courses and gated with small no maintenance landscaping...

In Casa Grande some of those communities are:

Ironwood Village - gated but no golf course
Mission Royale (Adult side - there is a family side also) - gated and golf course with country club.

In nearby Eloy - there is Robson Ranch - gated and on a nice golf course with country club.

Im not familiar with the 55+ developments in the CITY of Maricopa, but I know they exist.

And another very nice development in Florence, AZ is the Del Webb Anthem at Merrill Ranch - but there isnt much else nearby that one.

If you cant get into one of those due to the rules, then the part about nicer house for your money a little further outside of the city (but still close enough to get to things) still applies.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:19 AM

18,570 posts, read 24,944,861 times
Im wondering why you want to look at FSBO's. This area has very few, and most (IMHO) are owned by folks who simply will not accept that values have dropped as much as they have.

Find a new realtor would by my first advice.

The previous poster mentioned Casa Grande. I admit that it doesn't suit me at all, but you can get a lot for your money there and it does appear that the area will grow. Personally, I'd stick with chandler or Gilbert, but take a drive to CG and see how it feels.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:16 AM

29 posts, read 54,746 times
Default San Tan Valley

We bought in the Solera section of Johnson Ranch last April. Plus 55, gated, close to golf course, pool etc. Love it. There are a few houses for sale that seem to meet your criteria, for less than 200k. Good luck.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:40 AM

701 posts, read 1,342,654 times
You've never been to Arizona but you've already decided you want a home in Gilbert? That's really putting the cart before the horse. The valley is huge -- you really need to check it out before deciding which town is right for you. Frankly, if I was looking for a vacation home in the Phoenix area, I could think of a lot more interesting towns to settle on than Gilbert. My $.02.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:36 PM

1,232 posts, read 2,996,044 times
I would forget FSBO's on the web and get on some realtor's free MLS app. Some of the realtors that post here have them, if you go through their profile to their web site. Moderator cut: snip

I didn't do any searching but I'm thinking that gated, golf course, newer, 3/2 with a view, close in, under $200k might be hard. Are you willing to look in retirement communities? I would. A lot of them are now open to buyers over 45. They don't seem to lose their value in recessions as much as 'family homes' do, I think. Which is not good news for buyers. Plus rumor has it that supply is insanely tight in your price range.

Last edited by Kimballette; 03-30-2012 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: Your instructions were clear enough. No need to help advertise.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:03 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,178,292 times
In today's market you will most likely need to increase your price to the 200-250k range to find what you want. Here's a media article that came out today about the SE Valley real estate market, with current information for a change.

Southeast Valley housing market shows signs of hope

Snippets from the article:

Quote:
"We have very low inventory levels and extremely high demand," he said. When homeowners get several offers, they often counteroffer or ask buyers for their highest and best price. A home listed at $200,000 could be bid up to $250,000..."

"...But Gilbert is outperforming Mesa and Chandler in terms of new-home sales, Orr said. That, in turn, helps boost the median price of houses in town, as prices for new homes are higher than those of resales..."
The only place I can think of where FSBO's may place their ads is on Craigs List. Hardly anyone uses print ads anymore.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:53 AM

5,037 posts, read 8,761,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
The only place I can think of where FSBO's may place their ads is on Craigs List. Hardly anyone uses print ads anymore.
There are FSBO websites. I haven't used any of them, but I know they exist.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:10 AM

1,232 posts, read 2,996,044 times
I haven't seen a FSBO sign at a house in maybe 5 years. I would think given the shortage we'd start seeing them again, though?

Old 03-31-2012, 10:42 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,475,469 times
Help-U-Sell USA - Real Estate Homes For Sale | Real Estate Rentals in USA

and I've listed with www.bigbrick.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area