Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 11:13 AM

35 posts, read 78,799 times

Advertisements

[mod cut-- quoted post removed-- post relocated to new thread]

I don't care for heat, but don't like cold either. So how high are A/C bills during the hot months? I'm thinking about Sun City, AZ, as I'm almost 66 and retired. I am totally alone and really need to get myself into a secure place with opportunities for good comaraderie with people in my age bracket-- and no kids. I have 2 shelties -- can they survive in AZ since most people have no grass in their yards. I have so many questions, but will stop there for now. Thanks for any advice you can think of. I love AZ as a state -- beautiful. I'm in Colorado now and tired of the winters and small town attitudes.

Last edited by observer53; 04-05-2012 at 01:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 11:20 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,435,088 times
Lots of people have Shelties here. You can find houses with grass in the back yards, but dogs do get by without it. AC bills are dependent on the size of the house, the exposure of the house, shade from trees or other structure, the insulation of the home, the airtightness of doors and windows, and the thermostat setting you require. Tile floors and ceiling fans also help. So, it's hard to give you a number. One thing you can do is go on a plan where you pay the same every month, summer and winter. You "bank" enough in the cooler months to cover the extra charges in the summer.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Lots of people have Shelties here. You can find houses with grass in the back yards, but dogs do get by without it. AC bills are dependent on the size of the house, the exposure of the house, shade from trees or other structure, the insulation of the home, the airtightness of doors and windows, and the thermostat setting you require. Tile floors and ceiling fans also help. So, it's hard to give you a number. One thing you can do is go on a plan where you pay the same every month, summer and winter. You "bank" enough in the cooler months to cover the extra charges in the summer.
I've been surfing the real estate sites and have been quite impressed with the homes in Sun City -- at least from the photos. I hear lots of good things about the community. I'm not interested in brand-new glitz, just a decent place to live. Some of the remodels look better than brand-new construction. Thanks for reminding me about the utility budget plan -- that would help. I keep reminding myself I won't be spending so much, if any, on heat in the winter.

One more question: how are the problems with insect pests -- spiders, scorpions, and termites? Do most people have a monthly spray service? Even here in CO, I have a guy spray 8 months of the year, as we have scorpions in this neighborhood. My one phobia is spiders, so I hope they can be controlled in Sun City. I'm thinking maybe the problem there isn't so bad since it's been developed for so long, as opposed to new construction where they disturb nests and so forth. I may be guessing; I don't know.

Thanks again -- appreciate your help.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:28 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,435,088 times
If you keep corners inside and outside clean, that pretty much eliminates your property as a home base for black widows, the primary problem spider. I would imagine it helps discourage the nontoxic ones as well, although we've all seen a wolf spider once in a great while. As for scorpions, they are not widespread, as many people report never having seen one in years of living here. Keeping your property free of their insect food sources helps keep them away, if they are in your area. Whether spraying as often as every month is needed is something you would need to determine after you got here. I don't think everyone sprays that often.

Termites are another issue, you don't spray monthly for those, some homes have problems with them, some don't. You'd have an inspection done before you bought something.

The older areas in Sun City are nice, and there are reasonably priced homes there as well. Sun City West is another nice area, not as old as the original-- it was the first offshoot. It's over 20 years old now.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:36 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,344,074 times
Whereto -

Im not an expert on the Sun City area - but I ve read other posters here that like to remind folks there is a pretty substancial "HOA transfer fee" (like 3K if I recall) when you buy a home in Sun City....

Just to keep in mind...

Old 04-05-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
If you keep corners inside and outside clean, that pretty much eliminates your property as a home base for black widows, the primary problem spider. I would imagine it helps discourage the nontoxic ones as well, although we've all seen a wolf spider once in a great while. As for scorpions, they are not widespread, as many people report never having seen one in years of living here. Keeping your property free of their insect food sources helps keep them away, if they are in your area. Whether spraying as often as every month is needed is something you would need to determine after you got here. I don't think everyone sprays that often.

Termites are another issue, you don't spray monthly for those, some homes have problems with them, some don't. You'd have an inspection done before you bought something.

The older areas in Sun City are nice, and there are reasonably priced homes there as well. Sun City West is another nice area, not as old as the original-- it was the first offshoot. It's over 20 years old now.
Thanks -- I guess there's no place where one can go and not have some issues. You didn't mention tarantulas, and I didn't ask, but hope they're not prevalent. I love nature and know tarantulas are harmless, but we all have our phobias, depending on how we're wired.

Appreciate the tip on SC West. Are they unincorprated like the parent Sun City with low taxes also? Taxes are a big issue with me, as I feel seniors should be free of huge school taxes.

Well, I plan to drive down there sometime after April 12 to see for myself. I'm packing up my house to put it on the market, so I can get it sold and start my new life.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:33 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,754,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereToNext View Post
I've been surfing the real estate sites and have been quite impressed with the homes in Sun City -- at least from the photos. I hear lots of good things about the community. I'm not interested in brand-new glitz, just a decent place to live. Some of the remodels look better than brand-new construction. Thanks for reminding me about the utility budget plan -- that would help. I keep reminding myself I won't be spending so much, if any, on heat in the winter.

One more question: how are the problems with insect pests -- spiders, scorpions, and termites? Do most people have a monthly spray service? Even here in CO, I have a guy spray 8 months of the year, as we have scorpions in this neighborhood. My one phobia is spiders, so I hope they can be controlled in Sun City. I'm thinking maybe the problem there isn't so bad since it's been developed for so long, as opposed to new construction where they disturb nests and so forth. I may be guessing; I don't know.

Thanks again -- appreciate your help.
We recently remodeled a home here in Sun City and did have some termites but we treated for it ourselves and have seen nothing more. It was on the new addition part of the house. You will have them eventually and they are the ground dwelling type not the flying type. I have not seen a bug inside my house in 5 months and not even a spider in the garage.Your dogs will do better inside during the summer due to the heat and even mdore important, the wandering coyotes looking for easy meals. The taxes are easy and the utilities are less than some areas we have lived in. We used the heater only a few times this winter. The clubs here are numerous and I think you would enjoy life here if you have any interest in hobbies. I love the parade of quail every morning and evening and the rabbits as well. Best of luck in your search.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
We recently remodeled a home here in Sun City and did have some termites but we treated for it ourselves and have seen nothing more. It was on the new addition part of the house. You will have them eventually and they are the ground dwelling type not the flying type. I have not seen a bug inside my house in 5 months and not even a spider in the garage.Your dogs will do better inside during the summer due to the heat and even mdore important, the wandering coyotes looking for easy meals. The taxes are easy and the utilities are less than some areas we have lived in. We used the heater only a few times this winter. The clubs here are numerous and I think you would enjoy life here if you have any interest in hobbies. I love the parade of quail every morning and evening and the rabbits as well. Best of luck in your search.
Thanks for the info, MC. Interesting the termites were on the new addition. I hope your treatment keeps working. As for my dogs, I watch mine all the time when they're outside -- even here where we have coyotes and foxes. The yard is fenced, but I don't trust wild critters not to find a way to get over the section that's only 4' tall.

I do enjoy hobbies and would probably join at least one or two clubs. I don't think there's much sense moving to a retirement community if one doesn't want any people contact. I'm very isolated in my current situation and need friends around.

My Dad lived at Sun City Vistoso in Tucson, and the quail were always on my walking trails when I was down there visiting; rabbits too. Arizona has it's own nature sounds that I could probably identify if brought there blindfolded on a mystery trip. It's great.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:04 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,754,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereToNext View Post
Thanks for the info, MC. Interesting the termites were on the new addition. I hope your treatment keeps working. As for my dogs, I watch mine all the time when they're outside -- even here where we have coyotes and foxes. The yard is fenced, but I don't trust wild critters not to find a way to get over the section that's only 4' tall.

I do enjoy hobbies and would probably join at least one or two clubs. I don't think there's much sense moving to a retirement community if one doesn't want any people contact. I'm very isolated in my current situation and need friends around.

My Dad lived at Sun City Vistoso in Tucson, and the quail were always on my walking trails when I was down there visiting; rabbits too. Arizona has it's own nature sounds that I could probably identify if brought there blindfolded on a mystery trip. It's great.
I hope you find your spot. What is your budget if I may ask? There is an awesome home up the street from us that has been refinished very nicely and I love their backyard. $165,000 I believe is his asking price. YOu can find many homes here for under that price as well. Best of luck.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:12 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,653,458 times
One thing to consider is that the average age in Sun City is 75 and the average age in Sun City West is 65. Both have a ton of amenities. Sun City West has more variable updated models of homes. We're in SC and have never experienced any bug or termite problems. I am a DYI'er and keep everything under control. Coyotes we see all the time. Both cities are unincorporated and have low taxes compared to neighboring areas. You do have a one time $3000.00 transfer fee, a HOA fee and a Rec center fee. Utilities do vary as house szes range feom 1200 sq ft ti over 3000 sq ft. Ours is 2000 sqt ft and we have a newer Trane 18 seer unit and we keep it at 74 degrees all year around and our utility bill is around $145.00 per month. You also have water and trash pickup fees.
You might want to consider renting for awhile in both places to see which you like best or fits in with your requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area