Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 02:12 PM

44,701 posts, read 61,874,800 times

Advertisements

Soil preparation is the key to growing bermuda seed. Ideally rototill or dig down about 6 inches and mix in some horticulture/play sand and some mulch. Rake smooth, rake in the seed about 1/2 inch, then add layer of mulch on top, water several times a day just enough to keep the soil moist and not running off. If the soil completely dries out at any one time you'll probably need to start over re-seeding again. Nighttime temps have to be 65 degrees or higher for at least 3 or more days for the seed to germinate properly.

BTW Bermuda is classified as a weed. In many areas of the US it is forbidden to be used in some cities, counties, and HOA's. And once you get bermuda established it is almost impossible to get rid of it. It's very invasive and can root down several feet and come up in neighbors yards under the concrete footings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 05:47 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,767,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
BTW Bermuda is classified as a weed. In many areas of the US it is forbidden to be used in some cities, counties, and HOA's.
Hadn't heard that but not hard to believe. Could you point to a source for this?

Old 04-07-2012, 06:11 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,142,391 times
Hardly a real source but a landscaper just told me that. But if I google "bermuda grass weed" I find it called that (or an invasive species) from some sources.

Bermudagrass Management Guidelines--UC IPM

Old 04-07-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Hadn't heard that but not hard to believe. Could you point to a source for this?
Here's just one source for you. Google has hundreds of sites regarding bermuda as a weed.

PLANTS Profile for Cynodon dactylon (Bermudagrass) | USDA PLANTS

Old 04-08-2012, 05:57 AM

9,874 posts, read 11,266,760 times
I started with a completely dead yard. Ponderosa is spot on with his advice. Especially about triple the seed. Heck, maybe even quadruple. I used bagged manure to top it off (not mulch). Maybe a 1/4" thick. As he said, water, water, water (and more water). I had my zones on 10 times a day for 2 minutes each session. Soggy seeds make it less appealing for those pidgins. I used a small amount of 10-10-10 fertilizer (the 2nd 10 is for the roots).

In 2011, I started after the 15th of April. It normally takes a solid week for the grass seeds to absorb the water. By late April, it started to come in thick.

I 2nd his advice about leaving your grass a little longer. I keep my grass blades about 4" long. Because of the shading effect it conserves water, the grass looks healthier, it's more comfortable to walk on, and harder for the weeds to germinate.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:05 AM

Quote:
BTW Bermuda is classified as a weed. In many areas of the US it is forbidden to be used in some cities, counties, and HOA's. And once you get bermuda established it is almost impossible to get rid of it. It's very invasive and can root down several feet and come up in neighbors yards under the concrete footings.
In MN, we consider that thick bladed crab grass to be a weed. Not so in Florida or Mexico. With the sever winter kill, Bermuda grass quickly fills in the thin spots.

When you plant Bermuda grass, Round-Up spraying on the boarders will be part of the regiment.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:09 AM

777 posts, read 1,340,740 times
I contacted another landscaper about seeding for Bermuda and he was completely against it. There's no guarantee it'll grow, it'll raise the water bill 33% compared to sod, and it takes a lot of work to maintain. Decided we're not going to even bother seeding for grass now. We can't quite afford the additional $500 for sod on a lawn our size right now either. Gonna save up or do nothing.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaundercover View Post
I contacted another landscaper about seeding for Bermuda and he was completely against it. There's no guarantee it'll grow, it'll raise the water bill 33% compared to sod, and it takes a lot of work to maintain. Decided we're not going to even bother seeding for grass now. We can't quite afford the additional $500 for sod on a lawn our size right now either. Gonna save up or do nothing.
If my seed didn't grow, I was out $75 on seed, $30 on manure, and $10 on fertilizer. I have learned that sun + warmth + water + soil == a lawn. the key is to over seed so that weeds don't fill in and try to get it to germinate fast so that the weeds don't have a chance to take hold. It's so incredibly easy.

It can be (accurately) argued that a seeded lawn is better than a sodded lawn. If I was you, I'd get another opinion with the 33% more water compared to sod. I'm not believing that statement.

My grass is a lush green color and it is extremely healthy. The only advantage I can come up with choosing sod is because it is instantly green. But you also have to water the snot out of it for the roots to take hold and so it doesn't shrink. I did my home in MN totaling 2 acres. It's as nice as a golf course. My AZ lawn is also perfect!

Old 04-08-2012, 02:12 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,767,184 times
Quote:
Here's just one source for you. Google has hundreds of sites regarding bermuda as a weed.

PLANTS Profile for Cynodon dactylon (Bermudagrass) | USDA PLANTS
I understand why folks might consider it a weed. Was looking for evidence that municipalities had ordinances against it.;

Old 04-08-2012, 02:50 PM

Tucson is one, amongst others. Here is google and one site that lists some.
Cities are banning bermuda grass - Google Search

http://www.allergyfree-gardening.com...gies....Cached
You +1'd this publicly. Undo
Allergies of all kinds, along with asthma, have been on the increase .... Additionally, many American cities have plant ordinances that ban the ... Other cities in the Southwest have banned the planting of Bermuda grass in turf lawns because of allergies

The Olive Tree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: