Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 01:24 AM

54 posts, read 107,573 times

Advertisements

Having just gone through a very lovely (sarcasm intended) bout of either severe food poisoning or a stomach virus that required brief hospitalization and getting ready to relocate to the Cave Creek area (Scottsdale for temporary housing) I was wondering what urgent care centers or hospitals in those areas might be best should I or my family find ourselves in a similar situation down there? I will say that the last time I needed that kind of care was 18 years ago when I was pregnant with my son and got food poisoning but we were two days away from being in AZ when this bout hit. So I thought I'd ask!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 07:24 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,435,088 times
Closest hospitals to Cave Creek? Mayo Clinic Hospital (56th St and Mayo Blvd) and Scottsdale Healthcare North, (Shea Blvd east of Hwy 101) or John C Lincoln Deer Valley (I-17 and Deer Valley Road) if you are on the west side of what's generally called Cave Creek area. They are all good hospitals. Urgent care clinics are scattered around, under different names, none particularly better than the other. When you get down here, get yourselves a family doctor, to start with. Then you can work through them to find an urgent care facility they are familiar with and recommend.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:20 AM

1,034 posts, read 4,393,905 times
Scottsdale Healthcare Thompson Peak campus is somewhat close too, closer than Scottsdale Shea. It is located roughly at the loop 101 and Scottsdale Road.

Paradise Valley Hospital is also somewhat close, located at Bell Road and 40th Street.

Cave Creek does not have its own hospital.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:07 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,435,088 times
Thanks, I forgot about the Thompson Peak location. The Shea location is larger, I think, but TP would be fine for most purposes.

I think the OP moved somewhat to the west side of the Cave Creek area, if they ended up with one of the houses they posted about here.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:50 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,134,061 times
I think what facility it is doesn't matter much, just what doctor you get. Like was suggested, start looking for a family doctor you click with.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:23 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,178,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa627 View Post
Having just gone through a very lovely (sarcasm intended) bout of either severe food poisoning or a stomach virus that required brief hospitalization and getting ready to relocate to the Cave Creek area (Scottsdale for temporary housing) I was wondering what urgent care centers or hospitals in those areas might be best should I or my family find ourselves in a similar situation down there? I will say that the last time I needed that kind of care was 18 years ago when I was pregnant with my son and got food poisoning but we were two days away from being in AZ when this bout hit. So I thought I'd ask!!!
Not too worry, they will airlift you to any hospital you want. They airlift you across the street around here.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:27 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,228,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
Not too worry, they will airlift you to any hospital you want. They airlift you across the street around here.

It's a little off topic, but I just wanted to clarify... It's not quite that simple. If you're sitting in an ER waiting for care, or aren't pleased with the care you're getting, you can't just ask for a chopper to take you to another facility. (Well, you can ask, but it's not going to happen.)

If you are discharged from the hospital, you are then free to go to another facility if you choose; how you get there is usually your problem.

If the hospital recommends admission and your insurance company requests a transfer to a "participating hospital" of your plan, the hospital will help arrange your transfer, as long as the physician deems it is safe for you to make that transfer AND assuming they can get approval from the receiving hospital for you. (That involves getting a bed assignment - sometimes hospitals are "full" and do not take transfers, AND they need to get a physician at the receiving hospital who will accept you into their care.) If those are accomplished, they will then help arrange your transportation there, which could be by ground or air.

OTOH, if your condition requires a service the hospital you're at doesn't offer, (for example, neurosurgery), they will make all necessary arrangements to transfer you to a receiving hospital and physician's service that can properly care for you. You can always request they try a particular place first, (ie: Please try Dr. So-and-so at St. Joe's first, since she's operated on me before) and they will usually try, but there are no guarantees. The only guarantee is they'll keep trying to get you placed at an appropriate facility for the service they think you need.

You are always free to find your own accepting hospital/physician and make your own transfer arrangements. This usually requires you sign out of the hospital you're in "against medical advice" and doing it all on your own. Good luck getting air transportation though.

If you are picked up at the house (after calling "911"), they will generally take you to the nearest hospital. There is a little flexibility, since they don't measure the distance from your house in millimeters, so if you request they take you to Hospital A and they were going to take you to Hospital B, they will take you to Hopsital A instead if it's around the same distance and Hospital A is "open" for accepting new patients. You can't just request a chopper instead of ground transportation or ask they to take you to a facility half-way across the valley.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:09 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
The Mayo Clinic on Mayo at 56th St. has an EXCELLENT E.R.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area