Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 09:28 PM

310 posts, read 1,159,938 times

Advertisements

Hi all....

I have a couple of questions for you...I have a house built in 2010, single story, 2175 sq ft, ten foot ceilings...90% shade screens on all windows, r38 in attic, no radiant barrier...And only 1 AC unit 13 seer

So here are my problems...Our house is terribly warm, we have had the builder come out and check the AC ductwork and no leaks, but you walk into our bedroom (SE corner of house) and it is literally 5 degrees warmer..And feels like no air movement in that room

So they say you can close vents in unused rooms, but keep it al less than 25% of total vents on house...if I close them will it push more air into the master bedroom? Or is it better to leave vents open and just leave the doors shut? is ther anything else I can do to improve air flow in the house?

Just to give a point of reference, we keep our house at 84 during peak hours 81 off peak..and we were having electric bills over 300 last summer...no pool..only 2 adults living in the house, run dishwasher, washer,dryer all off peak.....any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 09:43 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,776,857 times
US Homes did something like that to my parents in 1999 for 223,000. Sky high bills...you would think the power company was paying them for poor design. And those flexi-ducts???? May I ask, who your builder was/is?

Old 04-22-2012, 10:26 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,776,857 times
the air coming out of the vent closest to the intake should be 25F cooler......a good place to start. At least you will know if the unit is working properly.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:40 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
And, you can get an "air balancing" as well, moving the most air into the ducts in the rooms that need it the most.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:54 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,131,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightgirl151 View Post
Hi all....

I have a couple of questions for you...I have a house built in 2010, single story, 2175 sq ft, ten foot ceilings...90% shade screens on all windows, r38 in attic, no radiant barrier...And only 1 AC unit 13 seer

So here are my problems...Our house is terribly warm, we have had the builder come out and check the AC ductwork and no leaks, but you walk into our bedroom (SE corner of house) and it is literally 5 degrees warmer..And feels like no air movement in that room

So they say you can close vents in unused rooms, but keep it al less than 25% of total vents on house...if I close them will it push more air into the master bedroom? Or is it better to leave vents open and just leave the doors shut? is ther anything else I can do to improve air flow in the house?

Just to give a point of reference, we keep our house at 84 during peak hours 81 off peak..and we were having electric bills over 300 last summer...no pool..only 2 adults living in the house, run dishwasher, washer,dryer all off peak.....any suggestions?
Your bills are similar to mine in an older house with a pool, but mine would go up to about $400 in the worst of summer, so not that wild-sounding. I try to do 83/on-peak, 80/off-peak, so a little cooler than you.

I think you can move your vent grills so the master gets some more a/c without totally closing off some rooms or shutting doors, can't you? If not, maybe some better vent covers would help? I heard closing off rooms isn't a great idea, because you don't want hot rooms in a cool house.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:03 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
You could have another duct installed in the warm room or, and maybe better because your return is probably not adequate in the first place, a return that would draw out the air from the bedroom creating a lower pressure there and increasing flow into that room.

I have given some thought to putting a window ac in my bedroom so that I can keep ice on the walls without having to waste money cooling the whole house to the same level.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:17 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
What size is the AC unit? 13 s does not have anything to do with the size only the efficiency. The ducts could be inappropriately sized as well. I know our home's ac barely keeps the house cool and many builders here seem to cut costs with undersized units. We did add more insulation to the attic and it helped a bit. It is a battle here and I wish you the best.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:57 AM

501 posts, read 1,191,418 times
If you do choose to close off the unused rooms, be sure to place a rolled up towel or two and the bottom of the door to keep the hot air from escaping. You may also want to check around your windows and see if any air might be coming through due to leaks, etc. and if so, put the towels there as well.

Another thing that may help is if you install the blackout shades or blinds to help keep the sunlight out during the day. Or you could hang a blanket or comforter over the window.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:28 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
If the house is that uncomfortable, and almost new, I'd be looking for a contractor to perform a "manual D" calculation for the home, as well as a "manual J" calculation. You will have to pay for that, but the builder isn't going to admit that they did anything wrong without some proof on your part.

Manual j tells you how much heat loss/or gain is occurring in the room, manual d gives you ductwork sizes necessary to get that airflow. Then, your contractor can measure the actual airflow to the room and make corrections.

Whatever you do, don't try blocking ducts- it isn't the problem, and it won't work.

Your ductwork could be undersized, leaking, kinked, or just poorly designed ( not to plan), but this isn't a job for someone to do "off the cuff" or using guesstimates.

I would look for one of the providers on either the aps or srp websites that do the " energy-efficiency" tuneups, specifically "Nate" or "ashrae" certified contractors. I'd tell them that I was the one paying the bill, they need to "break out all their toys" to find and fix the problem, and that you need full written documentation of what they find and how they correct it to give to your attorney, in the event the builder doesn't step up.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:24 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
I have lived in Arizona on and off for years. I don't recall ever having an air conditioner, except on the 5th wheels. That is full time, year-round, several years in a row.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area