Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 08:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,533 times

Advertisements

I am a pharmacist and planning to move to Phoenix -- probably Gilbert or somewhere in the south east area. Can anyone tell me what the pharmacist market is like -- are there jobs for pharmacists? My experience is retail, some long term care and mail order so I am not particular at this point what area of pharmacy. What does it look like for pharmacists long term -- growth or stagnation and demise?

On a related note has the economy in the Phoenix area started to come back -- things here in Ohio are not coming back at all but I hear some parts of the country are starting to pick up. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 09:23 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,211,942 times
I'm not a pharmacist and don't know the answer to your question. However, to give you ideas for web searches for in the meanwhile... We have CVS, Walgreens, and Wal-mart, (which have pharmacies). Many of the supermarkets have pharmacies too: Safeway, Fry's, and Bashas' are large chains here. If you want to go the hospital route, Mercy Gilbert Medical Center is right in Gilbert, Chandler Regional Medical Center is very close by, in Chandler. Banner Hospitals have a large presence here, with facilities in and close to Gilbert.

There is a list of hospitals here. It's not the most current, but it's someplace to start.

Good luck in your search.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:31 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,564,651 times
I would expect there is always room for more Pharmacists in Phoenix.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:59 PM

168 posts, read 455,804 times
I know a few pharmacists, but I'm not one, so I'm not an expert. But yes, there are jobs for pharmacists, though I don't think they're as easy to get as they were 10 yrs ago. With the increased number of pharmacy schools, there are a lot more graduates looking for jobs so there's more competition. But there are retail pharmacies everywhere here, as mentioned above, and many hospitals too. If you're not picky about your location, and especially if you're flexible with your hours, you might find a job relatively quickly. I think your varied work background will help.

And again, I'm not an expert, so take this with a grain of salt, but I would imagine the job outlook for pharmacists here is similar to the rest of the country, in that it's evolving. Mail order is becoming more prevalent, insurance/PBM's play a role, Obamacare will impact, etc., etc. Healthcare in general is evolving, as is the job security....

AzPA's annual meeting is in June, I think. If you happen to be in town visiting, that might be a good networking opp for you.

Good luck!

Old 04-30-2012, 10:33 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,297,067 times
To add to the list CheyDee gave you, the Albertson's supermarket chain also has pharmacies (some Sav-On, most Osco). They have outlets in Gilbert, Mesa, and Chandler. There are also pharmacies in most of the Target stores in Arizona.

I take care of my elderly mother who has many (and ever-changing) prescriptions. I have them all filled at the Osco in my local Albertson's (I live in Tucson) and I have been very happy with the professional service I've received there. They are very attentive to her needs and I've developed an excellent relationship with the pharmacists there who act like what they are — a very important part of her overall care.

Good luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area