Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 10:19 PM

148 posts, read 386,434 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are thinking about relocating to Phoenix from Omaha, Ne. We would relocate our jobs.

Mine would be located on west las palmaritas drive, north of west northern avenue, east of I-17. His would be east camelback road off of 24th street, east of highway 51. Both north of I-10. I hope I said that right...

Just curious as to what apartments/condos would be in a safe area in the price range of $650-$850/mo.

I was looking at Desert Breeze Condos and was wondering how these are and what kind of area this is. These are priced at $775/mo.

Also, what suburb areas are close to our work and non-pricey?

Does Phoenix have a downtown area? What are the main attractions there? What kind of scenery is there? What kind of recreation? Is there water anywhere nearby likes lakes, etc?

ANY information will help!!!!
Thank You!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 10:57 PM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,656 times
I have heard from friends that apartment rents and what you get for your money varies greatly here in the valley. I would really take some time to look around. NOt sure where Desert Breeze condos are...have an address? Phoenix is one of those places where you can be in a really nice neighborhood and then turn the corner and it is ..uh... not so nice. So be careful. You should be able to find something decent in your price range. If you do not have a long time to look before hand then try to do a short term rental until you get to know the area.
Phoenix downtown is not much to get excited about although they are starting to re-vitalize it. There are several parks and hiking areas in town, North Mountain and Piestewa Peak among them. There are several lakes within an hours or so drive. The closest is Lake Pleasant north of Phoenix not too far from I-17.
The desert has a lot to offer and is very unique, but its not for everyone. I moved here 12 years ago and love it.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:02 AM

77 posts, read 298,456 times
It sounds like your boyfriend has a job in the Biltmore area, which is upscale and very pricey. You have a job south of Metrocenter in an older part of town and there are some less safe neighborhoods nearby. If you look 1-2 miles either north or east of where he works you might be able to find some apartments that aren't as expensive but are still relatively safe. Every complex is different though -- you can have a slumlord next to brand new condos -- so do your research. I'm somewhat familiar with the neighborhood near Glendale/Bethany Home and the 51 and it seems safe but not expensive.

As far as things to do, in the cool months there's hiking and amazing desert scenery both in large preserves within the city and on drives to the mountains east of the city. In the summer months, you're pretty much stuck hiding from the heat in shopping malls or finding a large swimming pool. There are lakes if you're willing to drive a little, like Lake Pleasant.

Downtown Phoenix is a work in progress...

Old 03-26-2008, 09:35 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,450,167 times
Agree with Climacus about neighborhoods. The areas around Bethany Home, Glendale, and Northern are all generally good as long as you stay east of 15th Ave. I live in the area and feel safe. Rents vary tremendously in the area since you sometimes have luxury complexes right across from more modest ones. There's really no need to focus on suburbs since both your jobs are well within city limits and plenty of good housing is nearby.

As for things to do, hiking is great, and there's more to summer in Phoenix than pools and shopping (not that I'm too good for either, of course.) Our family has a Phoenix Art Museum membership and we get the most value out of it during the summer. The galleries are always 72 degrees and there are plenty of changing exhibits and activities for all ages.

As mentioned by others, Downtown is an interesting work in progress. Since neither of you will be working there, you'll probably go down mostly for sports, cultural events, or ethnic festivals. You should also check out a First Friday. On the first Friday of each month, the various art galleries in and near Downtown stay open and the resulting pedestrian traffic makes Downtown unusually lively after dark.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:44 PM

garson, climacus, & silverbear..thank you for all the information.

garson: to answer your question about the desert breeze condos, the address is 10030 indian school rd, phoenix, 85037

Old 03-26-2008, 05:56 PM

172 posts, read 252,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenej4 View Post
garson: to answer your question about the desert breeze condos, the address is 10030 indian school rd, phoenix, 85037
Not the greatest area. I'd look further north or a lot further east.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:21 PM

77 posts, read 298,456 times
I'd definitely second silverbear's suggestion to check out First Friday's artwalk, it's a lively time.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:25 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,450,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenej4 View Post
garson, climacus, & silverbear..thank you for all the information.

Not a good choice. Far away from your work locations. West Indian School is rough in the Maryvale area of Phoenix but gets much nicer out by Litchfield Park. I'm not sure about the neighborhood right around that address, but it's just too far from work and the things you are likely to enjoy.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:40 PM

thanks for all the help! but I am still finding myself lost with finding good areas. ever since I've been researching the phoenix area, I have been noticing that areas are not segregated and everything is spread out and mixed. so it seems more difficult to find a good area that's not too close to a bad area. where I'm from, it is segregated (I'm not saying I agree with segregation) but it makes it easier to find a good area vs. a bad area.

I am not planning on moving until January of next year so I have lots of planning to do but it's difficult going into this blind! I hope to visit this summer.

help!!

Old 03-26-2008, 09:19 PM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,656 times
Once you come visit it will be a lot easier to understand the area. You should have plenty of choices in finding a suitable place given your work locations. I agree with the others that the Indian School address is not the greatest. It all depends on what you are used to and what you need near you. I would really take some time to wonder around when you get to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area