Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 11:21 AM

123 posts, read 488,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Then why do you say its hot and humid and rains all the time? Thats not Chicago! Sure we get more rain than you, thats what keeps things beautiful and soft up here. But its NOT like Seattle (rain-wise) where it rains for weeks on end, not even remotely close.
FYI:

Seattle gets 38 inches of rain per year
Chicago gets 35.82 inches of rain per year

Weather Today - Weather Forecasts, Radar, Maps for 1000s of US and World Cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 11:26 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,366,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjdotcom01 View Post
FYI:

Seattle gets 38 inches of rain per year
Chicago gets 35.82 inches of rain per year

Weather Today - Weather Forecasts, Radar, Maps for 1000s of US and World Cities
Yeah, similar rainfall totals but VERY different rainfall patterns. Not a good comparison by any stretch of the imagination.

Ken (a Seattle resident who's also lived across the lake from Chicago in Michigan).

Old 09-20-2007, 11:35 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,457,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Trying to convince someone that their weather is worse that yours is pointless. Some people actually prefer the climate of Phoenix over the climate of the Midwest. I am one of them and nothing anyone will ever say can convince me otherwise. I lived 18 years in the Chicagoland area and 12 years here in Phoenix. I prefer the weather here. I will gladly trade the hot for the cold. The dry for the humid. And you know what? That is MY preference.
That was my repsonse to Bill's statement. I also stated that its clearly a matter of opinion too.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:49 AM

9,379 posts, read 20,838,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yeah, similar rainfall totals but VERY different rainfall patterns. Not a good comparison by any stretch of the imagination.

Ken (a Seattle resident who's also lived across the lake from Chicago in Michigan).
% of cloud cover might be a better gauge. For as comparable as total precipitation is, Chicago probably gets many more days where you get a break from the persistent cloud cover. There are even some towns near Seattle that get much less rain (Sequim comes to mind) but are still covered in clouds nonetheless.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:53 AM

Chicago:

Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Chicago, Illinois, United States of America

Average possibility of sunshine:
Average Possibility of Sunshine Years on Record: 13

YEAR Jan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec.
% 54 46 47 50 50 57 67 65 63 58 56 39 44

Seattle:
Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Seattle, Washington, United States of America

Average sunshine possibilty:
Average Possibility of Sunshine Years on Record: 31

YEAR Jan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec.
% 43 28 34 42 47 52 49 63 56 53 37 28 23

Old 09-20-2007, 12:07 PM

Yeah, much more cloud cover in Seattle - and our rain tends to come down in long periods of relatively light rainfall rather than heavy short downpours. Also, we tend to get most of our rain in the winter, as compared to Chicago, where the heaviest rainfall is in the summer (in those thunderstorms I mentioned). Our summers here are actually usually very nice and almost rain-free - of course we pay for it with 9 months of cool, cloudy weather.

Ken

Old 09-20-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Yeah, much more cloud cover in Seattle - and our rain tends to come down in long periods of relatively light rainfall rather than heavy short downpours. Also, we tend to get most of our rain in the winter, as compared to Chicago, where the heaviest rainfall is in the summer (in those thunderstorms I mentioned). Our summers here are actually usually very nice and almost rain-free - of course we pay for it with 9 months of cool, cloudy weather.

Ken
Hey, ya win some and lose some, right? But dont fret, Seattle is a great city, Ive enjoyed visiting it.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:57 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,090,610 times
You all aren't falling for the cool week trick are you? Natives, shame on you! We always get the cool week, we all think it's the weather changing, and then a week later it's back up until Oct. 31st, sometimes Nov. Keep out your flip flops people, it's not quite over.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:01 PM

9,379 posts, read 20,838,410 times
Quote:

Ken
I was in Seattle for a week in June, it didn't rain at all. In fact, there were hardly any clouds. That was back before I knew what I knew now. I went up there assuming rain would prevail continously, but there was not a drop to be had.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I was in Seattle for a week in June, it didn't rain at all. In fact, there were hardly any clouds. That was back before I knew what I knew now. I went up there assuming rain would prevail continously, but there was not a drop to be had.
Yeah, summers are generally VERY nice in Seattle - though June is often a kind of "iffy" month. Most folks around here don't really count on good weather until AFTER the 4th of July (which is historically the day of July most likely to have rain). Right after the 4th it seems to usually clear up and stay pretty nice right through until October. This year was weird though - and pretty lousy in my opinion. Every few years, we get a "summer without a summer". This was almost one of those years. We did get some very nice weather in June and a bit more at the end of July, but overall it was a relatively crappy summer (one of the reasons I'm glad to be eventually moving to Arizona).

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area