Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2012, 06:59 PM

2 posts, read 2,298 times

Advertisements

Hello all I need help I need to find out if my area is grandfather so I can keep my 3 chickens they were raise by my daugther since they were little they have a coop and all but some jelous neighbor call the city and I am going to be check on Friday they said I can have them if my yard is some sqft they require but I am not sure is going to be I have been in the computer since I came home trying to figure out what to do I know is going to break my daugther's heart if they taken them away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 07:14 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maribel35 View Post
Hello all I need help I need to find out if my area is grandfather so I can keep my 3 chickens they were raise by my daugther since they were little they have a coop and all but some jelous neighbor call the city and I am going to be check on Friday they said I can have them if my yard is some sqft they require but I am not sure is going to be I have been in the computer since I came home trying to figure out what to do I know is going to break my daugther's heart if they taken them away
This is the city ordinance as of a few years ago-- I found it online and posted it here in response to a question. I don't know if it has changed.

Here you go:

Sec. 8-7. Poultry and rodents.
(a) Except as otherwise provided in this article, it is hereby declared to be a nuisance and it shall be unlawful for any person to keep rodents or poultry within the City. No poultry or rodents shall be kept in an enclosure within eighty feet of any residence within the City. Poultry may be kept within eighty feet of a residence if written permission consenting to the keeping of poultry less than eighty feet from a residence is first obtained from each lawful occupant and each lawful owner of such residence. Poultry shall not be kept in the front yard area of any lot or parcel within the City. Poultry and rodents shall be kept in an enclosure so constructed as to prevent such poultry and rodents from wandering upon property belonging to others.

(b) No more than twenty head of poultry nor more than twenty-five head of rodents nor more than twenty-five head comprising a combination of rodents and poultry shall be kept upon the first one-half acre or less. An additional one-half acre shall be required for each additional twenty head of poultry or for each additional twenty-five head of rodents or for each additional twenty-five head comprising a combination of poultry and rodents. For areas larger than two and one-half acres the number of poultry or rodents shall not be limited.

(c) No male poultry shall be kept within the City limits except such male poultry as are incapable of making vocal noises which disturb the peace, comfort or health of any person residing within the City.

(d) All such enclosures shall be kept in such condition that no offensive, disagreeable or noxious smell or odor shall arise therefrom to the injury, annoyance or inconvenience of any inhabitant of the neighborhood thereof.

(Code 1962, § 8-8; Ord. No. G-1207, § 1; Ord. No. G-1367, § 1)

I don't think they will "take" them. If you are in violation, they will probably give you x amount of time to remove them. You need to find them a home with someone who can legally keep them, where your daughter knows where they are and go see them. Start making that plan now, just in case.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:32 PM

2 posts, read 2,298 times
thank you so much , another question do you know where can i find which areas in phoenix are grandfather in?

Old 05-07-2012, 07:39 PM

I don't know what areas are grandfathered in, this ordinance has been on the books for a long time. Usually it's not areas that are grandfathered in, but property owners. If someone had poultry on their property when the ordinance was passed, and have had them there continually, they can keep them there even if their property is too small under the ordinance. If there are areas grandfathered in, the zoning office ought to be able to tell you that.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:00 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,132,728 times
I don't know if Mesa is an option but here's their rule-

Are chickens allowed in Mesa? How about roosters?
You may have up to 10 chickens on the first one-half acre or less provided any enclosure is at least 40 feet from any neighboring residence, any coop is at least 75 feet from any other residence, it is kept sanitary and they are not allowed to run loose or create a noise disturbance. A rooster is also allowed as long as it does not violate any of the above regulations. (See Mesa City Code 8-6-21.A, G, H, and I).
AnimalControlFAQ

Old 05-08-2012, 09:23 AM

246 posts, read 400,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
I don't know if Mesa is an option but here's their rule-

Are chickens allowed in Mesa? How about roosters?
You may have up to 10 chickens on the first one-half acre or less provided any enclosure is at least 40 feet from any neighboring residence, any coop is at least 75 feet from any other residence, it is kept sanitary and they are not allowed to run loose or create a noise disturbance. A rooster is also allowed as long as it does not violate any of the above regulations. (See Mesa City Code 8-6-21.A, G, H, and I).
AnimalControlFAQ
And even if you qualify under this rule, your CC&Rs might not allow poultry. We had thought about possibly having chickens, but the CC&Rs for the subdivision prohibit them.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:32 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
The Stockyard in Glendale is a very nice tack and feed store that will take your chickens and find homes for them.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
The Stockyard in Glendale is a very nice tack and feed store that will take your chickens and find homes for them.
I think you mean The Stock Shop. www.thestockshop.org

Old 05-09-2012, 08:21 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I think you mean The Stock Shop. www.thestockshop.org
Ooops, yes I do. My son tried to smuggle a pet chicken to our former home years back but was quickly busted when the little hen started to sound off and the neighbors were patroling the streets looking for the chicken. I took her there and a young 4-H enthusiast took her home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area