U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2012, 05:25 AM

3 posts, read 3,458 times

Advertisements

Hi to every one.
My husband got transferred to phoenix, right now we are staying in California and we need to move to phoenix in the month of july.we came here on November 2011 and it took some time for me to get settled and applied for EAD since i am on L2.I didnt tried for job in California since we were in confusion whether we need to move to phoenix or not.I do have work experience of 4 years in India.Now i got 1 year gap in my career.

Now i am in confusion whether to move to phoenix along with my husband or go back to India.I heard that the job opportunities in phoenix is less and since my technology is very rare i am afraid that i may not get job ending up with more gap in my career.But if i go back to India i am sure that i will get job there.

One more reason for going back to India is my husband doesn't want to stay for long time in phoenix may be for 9 months to 1 year.So i feel that even if i get job after much struggle in phoenix i will have to leave that and move along with my husband.

Dont know what to do.Kindly suggest me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 06:54 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,269,761 times
In my opinion, having a one year gap in your work history is not a big deal. Based on what you said about your field being somewhat scarce and specialized you would have an edge in the candidates they choose from. Looking at it as being more of an interim thing I would probably go back to India and and get situated there to work and wait for your husband to follow. You may need time to settle down there, as you did here, and so when your husband joins you again in India you will be prepared to work and resume your role as a wife. Another option is to look for a job here. I think getting to where you see yourself in the next year would be better than to try and make a start here...only to leave.
Let us know what you decide!

Old 05-11-2012, 07:26 AM

5,037 posts, read 8,759,178 times
I would be where my husband is - wherever that may be. If I was unable to find a job in my field, I would look for something else I could do in order to bring in a paycheck in the meanwhile.

It doesn't sound like you're hurting for that second paycheck too much, or else you probably would have worked in California - even if you had to leave that job because of a potential transfer to Phoenix. In that case, it probably wouldn't matter all that much if you found something or not.

Only you can decide what is best for your marriage and your family.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:09 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,269,761 times
I think that CheyDee has some valid points, but I think we are in a new day and age and being able to adapt to it is paramount...meaning there are people willing to have long-distance marriages and you have to compete with them for "survival". Your marriage will suffer much more if you encounter financial troubles. I'm not saying it is the "right" thing to do, but just a reality. My marriage crumbled when the mortgage industry tanked...we lost our business and even though I made a commitment to my marriage, it did not recover...

Old 05-11-2012, 11:34 AM

Thanks for all of your suggestions.Kindly let me know the IT job options in phoenix?

Old 05-11-2012, 03:57 PM

122 posts, read 258,248 times
IT phone support job in Phoenix could be an 'ok' short term position for you.........although you may have a difficult time convincing the callers that you really are in Phoenix and not India?

Old 05-11-2012, 05:41 PM

I finally decided to go back to India so that i can get work experience and my husband can save for 1 year.If at all my husband stays here ,after 1 year and if the location is hot for IT jobs like bay area i may come back.

Thanks a lot for all of your suggestions.Just thought of sharing my decision.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:11 PM

203 posts, read 349,606 times
Nowadays, especially with recent economic events, a one year gap in employment isn't a big deal so don't worry so much. If I happened to obtain employment in the Phoenix area before my husband, I would move to Phoenix first, then have him follow after he handled all the house selling and packing up for relocation. I did it all on our last relocation. Best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: