Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2012, 06:36 PM

2 posts, read 4,340 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
My family and I recently moved to Arizona, we rented an apartment in Mesa, not knowing very much about the area . However it's something we can work with if we have to. We filled out our move-in inspection, and pointed out A/C was not working, and washer and dryer had the wrong plug in. No way to plug it in. It was 7 days before maintenace came and lo and behold, they said no one should've been moved in because the A/C was in fact broken, they fixed it that day but the thermostat inside is also broken and I now need to create a work order thanks to citing the clause on 48 hrs notice. Please don't take this the wrong way, we are willing to stay here if we have to, but does this give us legal reason to BREAK THE LEASE AGREEMENT? It has been in the hundreds inside, and we just can't spare the $$ to move into a hotel temporarily. I called Arizona Tenants and they said it was a violation of Non -Constructive Delivery. Among other things:

*The Bathtub had paint that has bubbled up and ripped off in the 14 days we've been here, there's also tiny nails that cut my daughters legs.
*The exhaust fan above the stove doesn't work(though it is brand new from the looks of it)
*The patio door doesn't open correctly, or close properly.
*The washer and dryer have the wrong plug in, we pay $30 extra for that convenience.
*We didn't know the area was pretty shady.

I don't like maintenance guys in my apartment, especially for things that should've been in working order when we got here, so if you guys can help a gal and her family out and let us know if there is legal grounds for contract termination or even rent reduction due to the heat especially, I would REALLY appreciate it.Thanks!!

P.S. Sorry it's so long.
Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by Kimballette; 05-18-2012 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: new members may not post links
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 06:42 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,159,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana4444 View Post
Please don't take this the wrong way, we are willing to stay here if we have to, but does this give us legal reason to BREAK THE LEASE AGREEMENT? It has been in the hundreds inside, and we just can't spare the $$ to move into a hotel temporarily. I called Arizona Tenants and they said it was a violation of Non -Constructive Delivery.
Why on earth did you move in after finding so many problems? An internet forum is not the appropriate place to seek legal advice.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,340 times
We looked at a model unit, and we really couldn't have known about the bathtub, that started to peel and bubble up after a couple of baths, I doubt if we would've turned on the exhaust fan even if we had seen the actual apartment. We didn't assume the A/C was broken, being in Arizona and all, and the washer and dryer are pretty heavy, I doubt we would've thought to look back there had we had the chance as well (though we will in the future ) but please if I can have suggestions on our situation that would help us out seeing as we are already in. Thank you.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:11 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,882,046 times
You should post this in the Real Estate/Renters forum. They also have links to landlord/tenant rules per state in one of the "sticky" threads.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:16 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,131,758 times
I have a feeling any legal grounds you have are spelled out in your lease.

There's a model unit? Does that mean this is an apt. complex, not an individual landlord situation? You might have better luck pleading your case to the people in the rental office. I think the lack of A/C is about all you can expect compensation for. The seedy area was there when you rented and the rest sounds like minor inconveniences they can still fix. If you'd moved to a motel for the duration of the broken A/C, after giving them reasonable notice of it being broken and them not responding, you might be able to convince them to give you a break on your rent for a few days' worth. I don't think you will get a free month or just completely released from your lease, though. .

Where's the apt.?

Old 05-18-2012, 10:09 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,945,464 times
There are many apartment complexes but few management companies if you find out who the management company is you can make a complaint to them directly which should make things happen.
What is the name of the apartment complex?

Old 05-18-2012, 11:48 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,678,521 times
If you read the az landlord-tenant law, I think you'll find that the landlord is given a "reasonable" amount of time to fix major issues. For the a/c, that is generally accepted to be up to ten days after you've notified the ll in writing of the issue- if you don't follow the law to the letter, you can expect to get sued by the ll for breaking the lease. The law isn't very tenant friendly & I'd caution you to read it for yourself before taking any advice you might get in the renting forum.

Just from reading your story, I'm not seeing anything that qualifies as a major issue under az law except the a/c, and even that wouldn't qualify unless you notified the landlord properly & waited for the correct period of time.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:11 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,329,443 times
If you already called Arizona Tenants and got an answer, why are you asking legal advice on a forum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area