Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 01:07 PM

209 posts, read 502,863 times

Advertisements

We are looking to build a house and was wondering what the return on the difference of a 3 car to a 4 car garage would be? The option price on the 4th car garage is less then $9000 so not that big of a deal. How do appraisers see the additional garages? Are the money well spent? I know not that many people have them but the additional space would be great to have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 01:31 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,132,728 times
I don't think it'll matter much to a future appraisal... maybe $5k if you get a generous appraiser. Are any of the bays tandem style? I know many appraisers that won't even count those 'inner bays' as addl. garage bays. They count it as 'storage areas'. I counted those as addl. garage bays when I appraised. I think most people use their 3rd and 4th (and often 1st and 2nd!) bays as non-car storage anyway-- boats, bikes, mowers, quads, junk. So the fact a 3rd bay is buried behind another bay to me isn't that much of a minus. I think a 4th bay isn't highly demanded in the marketplace, which is what drives appraisal values.

So bottom line, get it if you want it but don't expect full payback.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
I don't think it'll matter much to a future appraisal... maybe $5k if you get a generous appraiser. Are any of the bays tandem style? I know many appraisers that won't even count those 'inner bays' as addl. garage bays. They count it as 'storage areas'. I counted those as addl. garage bays when I appraised. I think most people use their 3rd and 4th (and often 1st and 2nd!) bays as non-car storage anyway-- boats, bikes, mowers, quads, junk. So the fact a 3rd bay is buried behind another bay to me isn't that much of a minus. I think a 4th bay isn't highly demanded in the marketplace, which is what drives appraisal values.

It is a full 4 car side by side with the 4th being kind of set back from the first 3 doors. The lot will also have a RV gate to go with it. I hope I could get the garage price back. What do the appraisers give per garage?

Old 05-21-2012, 08:42 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post

Not to mention it raises property taxes right? I'm all for a 3 car but paying for the 4th both in build cost and taxes wouldn't be high on my list unless it was an RV garage.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:58 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,132,728 times
I don't know why it'd raise property taxes. But you could be right. I think they just go off 'assessed value' and I don't think it'd matter much to that. It won't add in to livable square footage or anything.

I don't think going from 3 to 4 garage bays is really going to be a significant appraisal adjustment. There just isn't that much demand in the market for a 4th bay, so it's not like appraisers can say 'the average buyer will pay $X more for a 4th bay so I'll adjust the subject up by $X since all my comps have 3 bays'. Though they might. Appraising is not a very standard thing, though some common items like pools do tend to be. I'd be surprised if any appraiser gave it more than $5k.

If you keep the house more than a year, it won't matter much. You never really know just what part of your house is contributing what to its market value. Usually the land is the appreciating part and the rest depreciates like any other wasting asset (like a car) but R.E. has some weird market factors and conditions. And all you should really need the 4th bay to add value for is your buyer. The odds of it appraising for a contracted sales price are very good, if it's a fair price. The cost and market value of that 4th bay will very likely not kill a deal or anything.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:50 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadof2divas View Post
We are looking to build a house and was wondering what the return on the difference of a 3 car to a 4 car garage would be? The option price on the 4th car garage is less then $9000 so not that big of a deal. How do appraisers see the additional garages? Are the money well spent? I know not that many people have them but the additional space would be great to have.
Go for it, Dadof2divas . . .

You can never have too much storage space and, as you've already stated, 9,000 bucks is "not that big of a deal."

Sounds like a great investment to me.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:53 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post

You can never have too much storage space and, as you've already stated, 9,000 bucks is "not that big of a deal."

Not if it alters the curb appeal in a negative way. Just sayin'

Old 05-22-2012, 09:14 AM

24,295 posts, read 13,141,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post

I wouldn't necessarily build and buy for the POTENTIAL resale value... who knows, in ten years styles and trends may be very different. Maybe detached garages with lube pits and lifts, or even open-sided wikiups will be all the rage.

Personally, that extra storage space is great if you need it. I have a 3-car with a truck, a car and a tractor and am pretty much out of space. Of course, that makes me an oddity; I use my garage for vehicles. One consideration: The larger garage is potentially a larger heat sink or a larger buffer (insulator) in the summer, depending on the orientation of the house.

I think the real bottom line is, will YOU use it?

Old 05-22-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
I wouldn't necessarily build and buy for the POTENTIAL resale value... who knows, in ten years styles and trends may be very different. Maybe detached garages with lube pits and lifts, or even open-sided wikiups will be all the rage.

Personally, that extra storage space is great if you need it. I have a 3-car with a truck, a car and a tractor and am pretty much out of space. Of course, that makes me an oddity; I use my garage for vehicles. One consideration: The larger garage is potentially a larger heat sink or a larger buffer (insulator) in the summer, depending on the orientation of the house.

I think the real bottom line is, will YOU use it?
I am planning on putting a woodshop in the 4th bay. I think I will use it but the curb appeal is something that I am considering. Not sure on what it is going to look like with the 4th garage.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:47 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
May I suggest that you pose this question to a group of women? I'm gonna guess that the women will say "No, it looks terrible from the outside and we'll just end up storing more stuff" while the guy are saying "Yes, great idea, so I'll have room for [fill in the blank]."

Yep, I know - it's a sexist remark. But this female thinks it's an accurate remark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area