Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 12:56 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,137,134 times

Advertisements

One time I lucked upon "National Rabies Awareness Week" in March and got free rabies vaccines at the pound. I don't know if they still do that. It was maybe 5 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 12:58 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,242,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
She would have to get the dog vaccinated again anyway, here or there, before licensing because the vaccine term is almost up. (3 years). If she comes and tries to register in August, they will see that the vaccine period will expire before the license period of one year will, and require a new vaccine. So, she could just as well wait until March.
Lol, so you're telling me that is going to be my next battle? This dogs rabies cert will expire before the license period does so they are going to want me to go get it vaccinated now to get the license?

Seems they would license it now since it is valid and I'd have to show it was re-vaccinated prior to the next due date?

I don't want to have to vaccinate the dog almost a year early.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:26 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,631,781 times
Maricopa county animal control was a huge pain for us too. they sent us demand letters for not registering our dog in maricopa county, threatening "legal action". At the time we lived in Pinal county, and prior to that date the dog never lived in maricopa county. The dog was properly registered in Pinal county since she was a puppy...

Old 05-23-2012, 02:45 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,472,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Lol, so you're telling me that is going to be my next battle? This dogs rabies cert will expire before the license period does so they are going to want me to go get it vaccinated now to get the license?

Seems they would license it now since it is valid and I'd have to show it was re-vaccinated prior to the next due date?

I don't want to have to vaccinate the dog almost a year early.

I don't actually know for sure how they would handle that, but I could see them doing that. If the two dates are that close together, they may let it go.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:01 PM

777 posts, read 1,338,611 times
This has seriously got to be the worst state to own a dog. Do other states have a "register your dog and waste money on fees" system? Granted, if you don't want to deal with it, just don't register your dog in the first place.... but you can't turn back the clock now. My husband didn't want me to register ours... after all... the city didn't know we had dogs at the time. But I caved, registered them, and paid nearly $60 in penalties by the time I decided to register them. I guess they were fine with the penalty length I decided on... from the moment we obtained the pets. I guess the most annoying thing is that after I registered them, I got another registration form for one of the dogs the NEXT MONTH, b/c his "year" was up, since they base them on when they were first vaccinated or when you claim to first obtained them, not sure which.

You could always take this issue to the local news... they seem have some powers of making agencies/businesses cower into corners and letting people off from original charges.

I do wonder, what would happen, if you just lied and said your dog was deceased or that you're not the owner anymore. It's not like they show up at your house to check.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:45 AM

1,484 posts, read 2,261,620 times
Oh crap I did not know I had to register my dogs to live here! Guess I'm off to get this taken care of.
In the 3 other states I've lived in (and foreign country) we've never had to register our dogs (except on the air force base, which is FREE) very weird.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:18 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,472,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
Oh crap I did not know I had to register my dogs to live here! Guess I'm off to get this taken care of.
In the 3 other states I've lived in (and foreign country) we've never had to register our dogs (except on the air force base, which is FREE) very weird.
It's licensing, actually. It serves several purposes-- making sure dogs are rabies vaccinated, gives you a way to get them back if they get lost, and helps pay for animal control expenses. And, the lower price for spayed/neutered dogs encourages that, too. I'm surprised you haven't seen it elsewhere, it's hardly unique to AZ.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:31 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,242,549 times
Quote:
and helps pay for animal control expenses.
I wonder what the percentage is of dogs that require "animal control" services are actually licensed? If I were a betting man I'd bet that responsible people who follow the law and license their dogs rarely need "animal control" and we're subsidizing all those who don't bother to register their dogs and end up needing their services.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:39 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,137,134 times
Sadly, yes. That's how a lot of 'public goods' work.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:52 AM

1,484 posts, read 2,261,620 times
Quote:
It's licensing, actually. It serves several purposes-- making sure dogs are rabies vaccinated, gives you a way to get them back if they get lost, and helps pay for animal control expenses. And, the lower price for spayed/neutered dogs encourages that, too. I'm surprised you haven't seen it elsewhere, it's hardly unique to AZ.
That makes sense. Nah I haven't seen it elsewhere - but my first state I didn't own a dog, so who knows. My last 2, no. And with us being military if that was the rule, it would have been told to us at briefings. I had heard of something like it in Louisiana, but it was mostly for kennels, breeding, dangerous breeds, hunting breeds, if the dog was not confined in a fenced area (roamed free on country lands, etc) and things that did not apply to us. We registered our dogs on the military base and had their vaccinations done there, so maybe that is why too, that sufficed I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I wonder what the percentage is of dogs that require "animal control" services are actually licensed? If I were a betting man I'd bet that responsible people who follow the law and license their dogs rarely need "animal control" and we're subsidizing all those who don't bother to register their dogs and end up needing their services.
Agree. I've owned my dogs for 8.5 years - they were spayed at the first chance, they were microchipped as well, ALWAYS have vacinnations on time, and they've never gotten out of our yard, NEVER been loose. I would die if they did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area