Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 02:42 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,089,537 times

Advertisements

IIRC wasnt it hotter in nearly every part of the country than it was here last summer for most of the summer? Wasnt the North east the area that had a record numbers of deaths becuase it was record number of days 100+ degrees and extremely humid? Or are we not supposed to bring this up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 05:13 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,545,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
IIRC wasnt it hotter in nearly every part of the country than it was here last summer for most of the summer? Wasnt the North east the area that had a record numbers of deaths becuase it was record number of days 100+ degrees and extremely humid? Or are we not supposed to bring this up?
It wasn't that it was hotter there than here-- that heat is not normal for those areas so the people are not used to those high temperatures (with the higher humidity as well), and more people there don't have air conditioning. We had that spell of heat related deaths here some years ago when the temps were at or above 110 for a stretch.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:32 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,107,958 times
Go to the mall and bring lots of dough!

Old 05-30-2012, 12:43 AM

8,053 posts, read 12,327,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
It wasn't that it was hotter there than here-- that heat is not normal for those areas so the people are not used to those high temperatures (with the higher humidity as well), and more people there don't have air conditioning. We had that spell of heat related deaths here some years ago when the temps were at or above 110 for a stretch.
Yes, people here are generally better prepared for the heat than in other parts of the country because we're used to it. However, that still doesn't make our heat any more tolerable, especially when it's ongoing for about four or five straight months with very few breaks. The best bet is to do regular maintenance (basic things like replacing filters, etc.). Also, it's good to have a service contract through a reputable refrigeration company ... they do annual inspections to make sure everything is running properly to avoid those dreaded breakdowns.

I don't know of anybody here who doesn't have some kind of cooling system. Most everybody has air conditioning, but I know there are a few older buildings that just have evaporative coolers, which usually work fine in June through early July when the humidity is low. Once the monsoon gets going, they're pretty useless. I'm one who needs to be cool all the time due to health reasons, and I won't patronize any business that doesn't have adequate cooling. A/C isn't a luxury here ... it's a necessity.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:38 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,251,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrob View Post
...but one should not underestimate the power of SAD in hot desert regions. I know, I know, most people only think of low sunshine and cold winter days in regards to SAD, but the constant summer sun, heat, smog, lack of greenery (green and blue tones are soothing to the eyes)..and feeling trapped during the daytime in Phoenix can/does have similarly depressive effect for many people.
I'm one of those who hate the heat, think it's already hot when it's 80 degrees outside, and miss overcast, rainy, cloudy days and a bit of snow. Not constantly overcast, like parts of the PNW, but not months and months of unrelenting sun, either. I actually enjoy bundling up in winter. I love deciding which coat to wear to match my outfits, I enjoy wearing fashionable boots and pretty vests and I have loads of hats and gloves I like to wear. I love everything from the crispness of winter air to seeing the contrast of beautiful red cardinals against a white, snowy background.

How do I cope? I hybernate most summer days. I even buy my groceries online and have them delivered. Retiring helped significantly, since I no longer have to get into a hot car, which I dreaded each and every day. I finally treated myself to a vehicle with an auto-start, so I can start running the a/c and cooling it down a little before I go outside, in the event I absolutely have to go somewhere during the day. I swim very early in the AM or after dark, just to get outside a bit.

I keep my house very cool (70 degrees, which I find comfortable) and yes, my electric bill is high. However, on the flip side, I haven't had to buy heating oil since I moved to AZ. It's very inexpensive for the little bit of gas I use, on the rare occasion I turn the heat on in winter here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
Not only are they unprepared and many do not have air conditioning, as already stated, summer is only 2 months long in much of the NE. Here it can seem unrelenting. Even many utilities are unprepared up there and can't handle the electric surge from those who do have a/c. This results in brown-outs and rotating black-outs, where people can't keep the inside of their houses cool - even if they have a/c.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:56 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,107,958 times
CheyDee: Have you considered moving to a 4 season area or are you here for the duration? I agree totally with you about the lack of rain, cloudy days and snow and am looking for a new area to live in. What keeps you here? It may be family or something else?

BTW: I recall as a little kid in Chicago before air conditioning (I am pretty old) that my folks would drag the mattresses down from the second floor to the LR, because it was cooler. But it usually cooled off during the night and was great sleeping. Every window and door remained open all night with no fear of anything.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:17 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,638,711 times
I'm one that learned that I can't stand the heat. Love the area, but the summer isn't for me. I walk around uncomfortable while many people are relaxing in the park, on their patio or even out for a jog. I understand I'm the odd one in the group.

That said, I spend most my summer shuffling from conditioned space to conditioned space. My poor wife is usually under a blanket because I keep our home at 74 to 76°. Even keeping my place that cool my bill is only about $300 a month at the peak. MUCH cheaper than my parents in Pa pay for oil heat! In the wintertime I use the heat once, maybe twice. the rest of the time it stays off. My electric bills for the winter are very low.

Depending on your heat source it will be cheaper to cool a place in phoenix than heat a place where there is a cold winter.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:47 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,251,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
CheyDee: Have you considered moving to a 4 season area or are you here for the duration? I agree totally with you about the lack of rain, cloudy days and snow and am looking for a new area to live in. What keeps you here? It may be family or something else?

BTW: I recall as a little kid in Chicago before air conditioning (I am pretty old) that my folks would drag the mattresses down from the second floor to the LR, because it was cooler. But it usually cooled off during the night and was great sleeping. Every window and door remained open all night with no fear of anything.
Oh, Barb. I have to make a concerted effort not to think about that each and every day, or else I'd be totally miserable. LOL. Yes, we're here for family reasons...

Even as a little kid we had air conditioning. Well, one air conditioner. It went into my parents' bedroom window in the summer and we (kids) would hang out in there and play games, have dinner on snack tables in there, and sleep on the floor in bed-rolls. Even the dog stayed in there with us, when the rest of the house was too hot.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:26 AM

148 posts, read 280,385 times
CheyDee, wow a vehicle with auto-start and delivered groceries in Phoenix. Great ways to cope, love those ideas!!! Got to ask, how expensive is it to shop for groceries online? And do they always pick the least mealy tomatoes and not too soft/mushy avocados?

Old 05-31-2012, 09:36 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,779,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
I'm one of those who hate the heat, think it's already hot when it's 80 degrees outside, and miss overcast, rainy, cloudy days and a bit of snow. Not constantly overcast, like parts of the PNW, but not months and months of unrelenting sun, either. I actually enjoy bundling up in winter. I love deciding which coat to wear to match my outfits, I enjoy wearing fashionable boots and pretty vests and I have loads of hats and gloves I like to wear. I love everything from the crispness of winter air to seeing the contrast of beautiful red cardinals against a white, snowy background.

How do I cope? I hybernate most summer days. I even buy my groceries online and have them delivered. Retiring helped significantly, since I no longer have to get into a hot car, which I dreaded each and every day. I finally treated myself to a vehicle with an auto-start, so I can start running the a/c and cooling it down a little before I go outside, in the event I absolutely have to go somewhere during the day. I swim very early in the AM or after dark, just to get outside a bit.

I keep my house very cool (70 degrees, which I find comfortable) and yes, my electric bill is high. However, on the flip side, I haven't had to buy heating oil since I moved to AZ. It's very inexpensive for the little bit of gas I use, on the rare occasion I turn the heat on in winter here.

Not only are they unprepared and many do not have air conditioning, as already stated, summer is only 2 months long in much of the NE. Here it can seem unrelenting. Even many utilities are unprepared up there and can't handle the electric surge from those who do have a/c. This results in brown-outs and rotating black-outs, where people can't keep the inside of their houses cool - even if they have a/c.
I will never understand why people like you move here. Must be a boring life locking yourself inside cuz its warm outside. I do everything normal and don't change my life cuz its hot. I grew up here and we didn't even have a/c in one place we lived just a swamp cooler all summer long. I didnt have a/c in my car drove a 77 camaro until last year. Go shopping and even hiking during the day. Life is what you make of it and if you lock yourself down it's pretty sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area