Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 10:43 PM

102 posts, read 513,899 times

Advertisements

How do people cope with the intense weather in Phoenix?

I have visited this place during the summer, and it is terribly hot. I did not spend any time outside at all. Even at night it was blistering hot. Do you just eventually get used to the terrible hear? Do you get used to just living indoors? Your electric bills must be through the roof, am I right? Even though AZ is cheap, increase in AC use must balance that out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 10:56 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,785,603 times
AZ is cheap, so cheap that I can afford to leave for 3 months. Otherwise, if you have a family, consider a pool and it's not that bad. I've really enjoyed this May, a lot of the garbage is gone.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:40 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,459,534 times
This subject has been discussed at length every summer, and at other times of the year as well.

There are those who love the heat. Among the others, people either find ways to tolerate it/adapt to it, or they don't, and move elsewhere as they are able. Yes, people are inside (either at home or elsewhere) more in the summer heat, and modify their activity schedules in many respects. Many have pools, many do not. Electric bills are higher in the summer, how much so depends on many factors. Using managed payment plans so the same amount is paid monthly year round helps with budgeting-- even with summer AC bills, it is still a less expensive place to live overall than many other cities.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:46 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,286,436 times
During the summer, people who are smart will do their outdoor activities during the early morning or late night hours when it's not as hot. Yes, it can still be hot even during those late night/early morning hours (especially July & August), but at least the damn sun isn't blazing down on you during those times ... that really does make a difference.

Also, there are only about four or five months of the "intense weather" ... usually the worst of it occurs between June & late September, but the heat can start as early as May, and last well into October sometimes. Otherwise, the rest of the year is pretty tolerable as far as temperatures are concerned. Utility bills are very high during the summer, but I know the two major electric providers offer balanced payment type of programs so you pay basically the same amount all year ... and the rates either go up or down depending on your usage.

What I try to do is reserve most of my time off for the summer months so I can get away from the heat as often as possible. A lot of my time during the intense heat is spent away from Phoenix ... usually San Diego area, or the Arizona high country. Sometime in the near future, I hope to get a second home in one of those two locations. But for now, lodging is just fine.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:41 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,176,851 times
We complain when we are outside for more than 30 sec then we jump back into the house, store, or car for relief. Do more in the AM or PM when it's not SO hot. AC is $200-300/mo in the summer - worth it!! Ever get used to it? Not really me and I have been here my whole life. I just wait till it becomes paradise in the fall/winter.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:49 AM

39,097 posts, read 51,306,911 times
Keep it in perspective. It is not nearly as confining as cold, snow, and ice. You need no special clothing, no gear, no winterizing. Some hibernate, but others pack the lakes for water sports and camping all summer long, hike, bike, or do whatever they want, heat or no heat. Come winter, the weather is better than many places are in the summer. And it is lovely for days, and weeks and months on end! On a year round basis, it is very hard to top the outdoor lifestyle available to residents of the Arizona deserts. Seek shade, drink water, it ain't that bad.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:52 AM

1,484 posts, read 2,260,907 times
I freeze my butt off at work

Otherwise I do things in the morning. So far it's not as bad as I would think, in the past 90 degrees and up was horrible to me (lived in humidity) now 105 doesn't really bother me. I'm sure when it's 110 and beyond I'll just stay inside. When not at work I'm not doing a lot anyway, just like to relax at home. We don't have a pool, but our family does. We hope to go up north for a couple weekends eventually too.

Think about what you might do if it was 10 degrees with several feet of snow and ice and some freezing rain, I guess. You don't go out often and find things indoors. We also go to the movies when we can, the baseball stadium has a roof and it's not too hot in there. Indoor rock-climbing, bowling, go to the mall, go get a massage, things like keep us busy, we find it fun, so it's not the end of the world.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:02 PM

112 posts, read 293,082 times
We spend time in the pool, stay indoors, and listen to everyone complain about how hot it is. Newer homes aren't so bad with electricity costs - it evens out with the winter. My average bill for year round is 168.00 and my home is 2800sf. Summers are close to 400.00 and we have been below 60.00 for the winter. Nobody really gets used to the heat they just manage by staying indoors all day.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:26 PM

272 posts, read 609,809 times
When I lived there, I arranged to work a graveyard shift (10pm-6am), so I didn't have to get into an overly hot car; I could usually drive home with my windows rolled down. Did all my shopping & other business right after work; I was usually finished with everything by 11am at the latest. All yardwork was also done in the early morning; if I kept up with it, I was usually done by 7-8am. As long as I kept my schedule on my days off (and didn't revert to the "normal" schedule my friends kept), I found summers to be tolerable.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:58 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,762,858 times
We love summers here and became so sick of snow and sliding down the driveway sideways. Have no trouble going anywere, just go slower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area