U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 11:23 AM

9 posts, read 11,747 times

Advertisements

My husband has retired from the AF in DE we are moving to AZ for our last move by the military. We are trying to find a place to rent. Then we need to both find jobs. We have two issues that is holding us back (1) he has bad credit, (2) I have 7 Chihuahuas.

My dogs are all very well behaved, I have had them in NYC at pageants, fashion shows. I don't let them have the run of the house at night or when we are not at home, they are penned up. I also don't let them upstairs to carpeted areas. I don't let them wreck my home nor would I do that to someone elses. I would just like to say all dogs are not bad.

I am an interior decorator and home stager willing to work for any owners to fix up homes or stage them.

I am willing to pay a year in advance rent so that the pressure of us paying the rent isn't held over our heads when we both need to find jobs. Also will put the owners minds at ease that we wouldn't stiff them.

I am looking for something, in Surprise, Avondale, Glendale, Buckeye. Not Goodyear as they have a 4 dog maximum per household. I am not to picky as to the city just want a good neighbourhood and school for my son going into grade 10. Gangs and bulling concern me with school.

We would like as close to 2000sqft, under $1000 per month, a good size solid fenced backyard, we have a 24' above ground pool and 13' tampoline that we want to put up so that needs to be allowed, at least 4 bedrooms, with appliances. We have a boat and having it at our home would be ideal to keep away from having to pay to store it.

Any suggestions??

We will be leaving DE by June 15th so not alot of time left, movers are booked but we don't have a location for our effects to be taken too.

[mod cut-- please don't put your email address in posts. People who have suggestions will post them here or send you a DM here at the site] Thank you in advance.

Last edited by observer53; 05-25-2012 at 11:37 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 11:40 AM

777 posts, read 1,269,295 times
I don't have a house for rent. But i do have some things to say: first, finding someone who'll accept 7 dogs is certainly going to be a challenge. You'll want to start examining houses online and see their rules and calling around to find your options. I'm sure there are some owners that overall don't care how many pets you put in their house, as long as you're likely paying the extra charges for having pets there.

Second, you might want to extend your search to El Mirage.. some of that city sucks, so stay away from that side, but the south west end of it isn't so bad, and they might be the only city you will find available homes for that many dogs and the stuff you want to put in the backyard. In some cities, like Surprise, many backyards are small out here and require neighbor/city approval for stuff like trampolines. Your pool should be no problem though. And since the trampoline isn't visible over the fence, it might be ok too, but still, many yards are small and the walls are so low you would see over 8 backyards just standing on your trampoline (which is kinda creepy).

Third, finding a home that will allow you to park your boat there will also be a stretch. That is not approved in most communities out here. But depending on the boat size, there are SOME homes with side gates that homeowners had added to specifically put the boats in the backyard , and if you get lucky, you could find a house with that option. but it'll be pretty tough. I've seen these options in El Mirage because their HoA rules aren't as strict as they are in many other cities. You might also find some in Avondale.

Hope that helps. Homes.com/rentals and rentals.com are good places to look online.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:52 AM

Thank you so much for your response.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:09 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,473,032 times
The dogs are probably a bigger barrier than the bad credit, provided you have a good rental history.
I wouldn't do that to my neighbors.......Most lots out here are between 5 and 8 Thousand SF; you need an acre.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:13 PM

We have never rented so no rental history. I have always owned my homes and before I married him he always lived on base. We own this home as well. This what I am talking about I can't find anything to rent.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:30 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,488,654 times
You probably want to stay way from new areas with an HOA. They wont allow your dogs, boat, trampoline, Plus all these new areas don't have a backyard they do the clubhouse area thing.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:42 PM

Those are the only areas I know, can you name some for me to check out.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:45 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,070,247 times
If you need to be in the west valley - you might even need to expand out to Wittman or Tonapah as those are more rural areas that may allow more of the things you need - not sure how many rentals out there thoug....

Old 05-25-2012, 12:47 PM

Thank you I'll check those two cities, appreciate the help.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:27 PM

6,343 posts, read 13,714,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawfectchis View Post
My husband has retired from the AF in DE we are moving to AZ for our last move by the military. We are trying to find a place to rent. Then we need to both find jobs. We have two issues that is holding us back (1) he has bad credit, (2) I have 7 Chihuahuas.

My dogs are all very well behaved, I have had them in NYC at pageants, fashion shows. I don't let them have the run of the house at night or when we are not at home, they are penned up. I also don't let them upstairs to carpeted areas. I don't let them wreck my home nor would I do that to someone elses. I would just like to say all dogs are not bad.

I am an interior decorator and home stager willing to work for any owners to fix up homes or stage them.

I am willing to pay a year in advance rent so that the pressure of us paying the rent isn't held over our heads when we both need to find jobs. Also will put the owners minds at ease that we wouldn't stiff them.

I am looking for something, in Surprise, Avondale, Glendale, Buckeye. Not Goodyear as they have a 4 dog maximum per household. I am not to picky as to the city just want a good neighbourhood and school for my son going into grade 10. Gangs and bulling concern me with school.

We would like as close to 2000sqft, under $1000 per month, a good size solid fenced backyard, we have a 24' above ground pool and 13' tampoline that we want to put up so that needs to be allowed, at least 4 bedrooms, with appliances. We have a boat and having it at our home would be ideal to keep away from having to pay to store it.

Any suggestions??

We will be leaving DE by June 15th so not alot of time left, movers are booked but we don't have a location for our effects to be taken too.

[mod cut-- please don't put your email address in posts. People who have suggestions will post them here or send you a DM here at the site] Thank you in advance.
Perhaps it's because you haven't rented in a while, to be blunt & honest & hopefully not offensive, your standards are too high. Any landlord that would accept 7 dogs is not likely to be the kind of landlord you want. Any landlord that will let you put a pool or a trampoline on their property is an idiot. Pools and trampolines are liability nightmares & most landlords won't buy a rental with a pool, much less allow one to be installed.

As a landlord, I can deal with bad credit, or one or possibly 2 pets, but 7 would be completely out of the question. It doesn't matter how well-behaved you say they are, every tenant says that, and Arizona law doesn't allow a landlord to collect a big enough damage deposit to protect the landlord in the event that those dogs tear up the house - think $20k+.

The pool and the trampoline made me think it was "April fools day" for landlords. Peddle the pooches, ditch the pool, the boat & the trampoline & be very, very happy if you can find a 4bedroom 2000 sq foot house in a decent area for $1k.

Hopefully you take that the right way, just honest advice. Your post throws up just about every red flag there is for a landlord, combined, I see no landlord out there taking these kinds of chances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area