Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 12:36 PM

205 posts, read 296,937 times

Advertisements

Also agree it's useless.

Zillow says one of my places is 20k more than it's worth and another place that is 20k less than it's worth. So it's inaccurate and inconsistent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 12:59 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,288,256 times
I once had an investment property in Mesa which zillow used a commercial property as a comp to achieve the value. My current residence is missing the 1,500 square foot basement, but neighbors houses with basements are not missing.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:45 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,786,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Yes, Zillow is worthless. Just said my house declined by $4000. Also said a house in Ocotillo around the corner from me is on ONE ACRE. HAH! Worthless I say.
Barb, didn't you previously state that it was taking a long time for you to sell your house? How far above Zillow are you trying to sell it for?

Old 05-31-2012, 12:31 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,347,087 times
Khunt -

Even ZILLOW says they have accuracy issues - more in some places than others - you can go read about how they come up with the zestimates:

Data Coverage and Zestimate Accuracy - Zillow

In the Phoenix area they admittedly are only within 5% of the sales prices about a quarter of the time, within 10% of the sales prices half the time, and even only within 20% of sales prices 3/4 of the time. So in 25% of case even THEY admit they can be more that 20% off....

They even break it down into counties if you want...

So, with so much variation, I just use zillow as a VERY BASIC tool to evaluate trends....

For example, my house went up almost 40% in the last 3 months and then down 10% this month according to Zillow.....even in this market things are swinging up and down like that....

Old 05-31-2012, 12:46 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,786,060 times
What is interesting though, is that it appears they are looking at available homes and looking forward, unlike the appraisers, who only look at sold comps. In the case of the TH, it sits on a square mile that I've been watching closely for 30 months. The last two months have been unlike any buying I have witnessed over there since I first moved there in 1995. That prompted me to make an inquiry here a few weeks ago about the NW Light Rail extension to Dunlap (property is 400 yards from Northern Station). The answer here was 2023 or something.....well the day after I see the big increase in my Zestimate there is a news report that the Extension may likely be running by 2016. So it does seem they were able to detect a buying frenzy.
Mesa light-rail expansion on track

Also, some of their rent estimates are very accurate. It's far from perfect, but it's a tool.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:33 PM

800 posts, read 1,913,337 times
"What is interesting though, is that it appears they are looking at available homes and looking forward, unlike the appraisers, who only look at sold comps."

Just got an appraisal back last month that mentioned pending and active sales on the report, since there weren't enough sold comps in the immediate area. Not as comps, but as a forward-looking gesture. Now a lender wouldn't allow those as comps, so of course appraisers are going to weigh their opinion on solds as much as possible. Appraisers also note whether it is a declining, stable, or increasing market. I see Zillow using "comps" as far back as 2010 - which has little to no relevance on the current market.

You also need to know that the buying frenzy is just about everywhere in the Valley, not just around the 2023 (or 2016, whatever) rail system. Investors from around the world sense that our market is changing, and are rushing in to buy as much of the cheap inventory as possible. This makes me feel very sorry for anybody who is trying to buy an owner occupied home using financing as they can't compete with the multiple, over-list price bids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: