Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 10:29 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,090,180 times

Advertisements

I saw one on the 202 going toward Ahwatukee, about a year ago. Now there are at least 14 of them all in the same area. Didn't we try to ban those things a while ago because it was a blight (eyesore) on the environment? I guess they make alot of money for the state or something. I still think they are ugly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 10:57 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,297,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I saw one on the 202 going toward Ahwatukee, about a year ago. Now there are at least 14 of them all in the same area. Didn't we try to ban those things a while ago because it was a blight (eyesore) on the environment? I guess they make alot of money for the state or something. I still think they are ugly.

Those billboards have been there for several years, they aren't recent. And they are on the Indian Reservation.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:30 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,302,081 times
Quote:
Do you mean the electronic billboards? I really don't see much of a problem with them, other than they can be a distraction while driving ... but so can many other things which aren't banned or restricted. I find cell phone gabbing, and especially texting while driving to be much more serious hazards.

As far as being eyesores, I disagree. Dilapidated structures and vacant lots are much more of a blight than the billboards. Should old abandoned buildings and empty lots be banned too? Billboards at least allow freedom of adverstising, and some can be quite entertaining. I guess if they are that ugly to look at, you can always look the other way.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:56 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,952,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
...Should old abandoned buildings and empty lots be banned too?...
Well, maybe not "banned". But, back where I lived in Kentucky they had an interesting law in place. Empty lots and abandoned buildings were taxed ridiculously high, because it wasn't a developed, usable space. It really was a pretty genius law. People focused on infill, and flipping abandoned buildings, because they didn't want to take the tax hit. There were no dirty, empty lots, and no run down buildings... It would certainly make parts of Phoenix look better.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:22 AM

Well, House Bill 2543 was just recently signed by the Gov due to the fact that so many of these electronic billboards are popping up along the highways. The ones on the 202 were NOT there several years ago. The bill states they have to be 660 feet from the right of way and there are regulations about what they can and cannot do (like flipping the screens, changing the message, etc.) I think they are distracting and its hard not to see what they are advertising. Especially the new one about the Women's Sexual Health Clinic.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:51 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,147,135 times
I more things to worry about while driving...like concentrating on the elderly driver in front me that is easily distracted by billboards and shiny objects.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:54 AM

39,110 posts, read 51,356,528 times
Quote:
Well, House Bill 2543 was just recently signed by the Gov due to the fact that so many of these electronic billboards are popping up along the highways. The ones on the 202 were NOT there several years ago. The bill states they have to be 660 feet from the right of way and there are regulations about what they can and cannot do (like flipping the screens, changing the message, etc.) I think they are distracting and its hard not to see what they are advertising. Especially the new one about the Women's Sexual Health Clinic.
That's the point, LOL.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:29 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,627,765 times
I like them, it feels modern. I like the modern feel of the city.

A lot of people don't like the messages though, we get some picketers under one of the "freedom from religion" billboards out by me.
Some people might feel it shoves a message down your throat I guess.

I get to drive by the billboard and a little crowd of sign wavers. lol At least it's entertaining.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:34 AM

No, I don't consider those an eyesore. I think they are useful and needed. Its just that back in 1965 or something we had the federal highway beautification act take effect and now it seems we are moving backward. Informational signage is great. Advertising should be limited to the TV, and all other media, just my opinion. We don't need it on the roadways too. Remember Burmashave???

Old 05-30-2012, 11:28 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,627,765 times
Quote:
No, I don't consider those an eyesore. I think they are useful and needed. Its just that back in 1965 or something we had the federal highway beautification act take effect and now it seems we are moving backward. Informational signage is great. Advertising should be limited to the TV, and all other media, just my opinion. We don't need it on the roadways too. Remember Burmashave???
LOL, I see your point, now that you've mentioned Burmashave. You scared me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: