U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 10:04 PM

36 posts, read 86,220 times

Advertisements

I am a lifelong California resident and I am wondering if there are any native Californians living in Phx. What made you move out of our poorly ran state? The job market here is so bad that I'm thinking about heading out to the valley of the sun. What are some things I should know about Phx I take for granted in Los Angeles? Thanks guys.
Rate this post positively

Old 06-03-2012, 10:16 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,176,274 times
Not a native California resident but I lived there for 10 years prior to moving here. This state is not run any better. Overspending and budget cuts are common. Educational system isn't better. Cost of living is somewhat cheaper but wages are much less. You will miss the beach. Overall I prefer Phoenix (Surprise) over Los Angeles (Palmdale) but would pick San Diego if I could afford it. The job market is also very weak in Phoenix.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:34 PM

1,538 posts, read 3,375,232 times
I grew up in California but I moved to Oregon from there and I finally moved to the east valley in Mesa.
I go back to California all the time to visit family.
To me, California has too much. Just too much of everything but to answer your question, the first thing you need to understand is the heat and lack of humidity. I personally like the weather and dryness here but I understand it's not for everybody.
California has pretty mild temps compared to here but if you are ok with the temperature swings around here, you'll probably like it.
The roads are FAR better, not anywhere near as crowded and in many cases, you couldn't tell the difference between neighborhoods here vs. Cali.
It just depends on what you're looking for and knowing what to expect.
There are no beaches here so if that's important to you, you'll miss that but I suspect you probably don't go to the beach much. I never did and I lived just a short drive from Huntington Beach and Newport Beach.
Housing is MUCH cheaper here so that helps offset the pay differences you may encounter when looking for a job.
I'm sure someone else will ring in shortly and have more advice.
Good luck.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:37 PM

2,332 posts, read 4,319,497 times
I recently moved to PHX full time from NY despite coming here sporadically for some 20 years.I personally find the higher elevations for hiking, kayaking and overall sightseeing to be more invigorating here in AZ. I prefer Prescott,Sedona and the Grand Canyon on my free time than checking out shops at Fashion Square Mall and other malls here during the summer. Most active people who enjoy nature and the adrenaline rush of challenging oneself with hiking find the Metroplex to be the least exciting part of their existence here.

I am appreciative of living in PHX. Great coworkers and great access to diverse options within a few hours as mentioned above. Something you cannot do back in NY. It has rejuvenated me. However, things are relative.

Some of my coworkers grew up in San Diego. Hate to say it Phoenicians, if I was guaranteed the same standard of living in SD as here, I'd be in SD. The San Diego natives I work with feel the same way. However, most parts of So Cal away from the coast are no different than PHX, especially places in the Inland Empire. Similar landscape (Riverside, San Bernardino,etc). No thanks. State taxes are 10% as opposed to 3% or so here regarding paychecks. Property taxes way higher too. That is the dealbreaker for me. So Cal taxes. I would tolerate them if I was guaranteed a home in La Jolla. However, anywhere east of El Cajon or 15 miles to the Pacific, no way Jose ! Alpine and Campo remind me of Prescott with higher taxes. Ocotillo and El Centro are Yuma with high taxes.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:40 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,777,351 times
For one: You'll be surprised at the amount of people from California that live here. If they're not from the midwest, they're usually from California. Sometimes feels like they outnumber the AZ natives!

I doubt the job market will be better in Phoenix than the LA area.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:05 AM

2,332 posts, read 4,319,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyW View Post
For one: You'll be surprised at the amount of people from California that live here. If they're not from the midwest, they're usually from California. Sometimes feels like they outnumber the AZ natives!

I doubt the job market will be better in Phoenix than the LA area.
Agreed Cody. Definitely way more Midwest than NYers as myself here. CA transplants are mainly So Cal IMO. No Cal tends to flock to Reno or Vegas. However, NV's economy is so screwed up these days, I truly believe Reno and Vegas have peaked. I deal with many from NV regarding their home loans. Especially Reno. All say the same thing. Construction has dried up, can't pay their mortgage and are looking to leave. NV never diversified their economy enough and they are paying the price. AZ atleast has a more diversified economy and has managed to withstand the crap this past decade than NV has.

Not to sound like a homer, but I think PHX has seen the worst of the economy and will start to grow in the future. I do not believe places like Reno will. The people in AZ are GENERALLY more prideful and self reliant than blue states like NY and CA. You don't see people collecting unemployment for 99 weeks here at some $200/week (AZ state max). One has to maintain and get back on their feet here. NY and CA enables people with their handouts and they do not have the motivation to get back on their feet any sooner than they have to in many cases.That's why their state debts are through the roof. People here seem more appreciate of their jobs as opposed to Blue States knowing unemployment income isn't an option.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:12 AM

9,319 posts, read 17,904,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellwello View Post
I am a lifelong California resident and I am wondering if there are any native Californians living in Phx. What made you move out of our poorly ran state? The job market here is so bad that I'm thinking about heading out to the valley of the sun. What are some things I should know about Phx I take for granted in Los Angeles? Thanks guys.
We fled CA 7 years ago and I was a CA native. I do miss some of the CA I remember when young, but it has faded into the background and replaced with traffic, insanity in the government, crime, insanity in the classrooms, business taxes and did I mention taxes? I love it here and it has some of the southern Ca flavor without the smog and trash. This is a very tidy state in my opinion. We have all the shopping you could ask for. The sales tax here is high, but your property tax is reasonable. I got tired of living under the constant threat of Prop 13 going away. That will cause a mass exodus when it does. You need to come and visit. The heat is no worse than in the San Fernando Valley at times. But I do still miss my CA.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:17 AM

32,524 posts, read 34,867,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
We fled CA 7 years ago and I was a CA native. I do miss some of the CA I remember when young, but it has faded into the background and replaced with traffic, insanity in the government, crime, insanity in the classrooms, business taxes and did I mention taxes? I love it here and it has some of the southern Ca flavor without the smog and trash. This is a very tidy state in my opinion. We have all the shopping you could ask for. The sales tax here is high, but your property tax is reasonable. I got tired of living under the constant threat of Prop 13 going away. That will cause a mass exodus when it does. You need to come and visit. The heat is no worse than in the San Fernando Valley at times. But I do still miss my CA.
Pretty much my story.

We chose an area that we'd heard about from a lot of L.A. transplants so it's a bit of an enclave. If we want to talk old times we can. I miss the food and the beach and Disneyland. (And my So Cal family and friends.)

But the benefits of living in AZ out-weigh the negatives. I really enjoy the many Minny transplants and the Minnesota Nice attitude I find here.

It's so much EASIER to live in AZ than L.A.

BTW: Having survived several AZ summers I now consider 90 degrees as a nice, mild day. Yep. I can proudly flash my Zonie card. Plus we have a NFL team (go Cardinals!) so thbbbbbb to L.A. on that one.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:45 PM

391 posts, read 789,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Not to sound like a homer, but I think PHX has seen the worst of the economy and will start to grow in the future. I do not believe places like Reno will. The people in AZ are GENERALLY more prideful and self reliant than blue states like NY and CA.You don't see people collecting unemployment for 99 weeks here at some $200/week (AZ state max). So walking down the street you can tell the difference between the unemployed and employed? One has to maintain and get back on their feet here. NY and CA enables people with their handouts and they do not have the motivation to get back on their feet any sooner than they have to in many cases.That's why their state debts are through the roof. People here seem more appreciate of their jobs as opposed to Blue States knowing unemployment income isn't an option.
I came from northern California and funny enough I was born in Arizona. I've also moved from northern Arizona from here as well. I moved to Arizona for my parents. I had no family in California so I left. Qualifying for anything in California was a pain, I didn't quite understand that. They tax you to death, but when you need help the doors are closed. I don't agree with many of the statements magnum has made, but if that's how he views AZ, so be it.

Shop around the internet job sites before assuming Phoenix is better then LA.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:08 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,337,391 times
I grew up in California attended college and graduate school there, worked there most of my adult life (working there now).

You will miss the Los Angeles weather. Today in L.A. it was overcast all day (June gloom) - at least in the beach cities area of the South Bay. I don't mind the gloom - when I was out at lunch I wore a sweatshirt. Cool enough. You take the weather for granted.

What you won't miss are the crummy roads. Potholes and such. Phoenix streets are far better - at least in the Ahwatuikee area!

You might miss the restaurants. I'm not a local restaurant type of guy - I am happy in national chain restaurants. I do like the local Arizona chain Macayos. I like the national chain Ruths Chris and Kincaids (Redondo Beach has Kincaids and so does downtown Phoenix).

Of course you will miss the opportunities of beach fun. You will like some of the Phoenix summer sunsets. In Phoenix you see mountains every day. In L.A. I have an unobstructed view of the hills above Malibu and also the San Bernardinos - maybe ten days a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area