Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 06:07 PM

2 posts, read 2,488 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are interested in moving to the East Valley. We are looking for houses for around $100 a square foot (hopefully below) built after 2000, preferably over 2500 square feet. (Basically under 300 for a single story) So far all I can find is Queen Creek and places in Pinal County. Are there any hidden areas within Chandler or Gilbert that fit our goal or is our best bet further out in Queen Creek and San Tan Valley?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 11:53 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,427,800 times
I like QC fair enough... I'm concerned about the educational system in QC but decided to move here anyways. There is a huge LDS presence here and even though I like the values they have, I find it kind of zombie'ish. I thank God that I live in America where we have religious tolerance but I'm not feeling it reciprocated much here....sorry-not trying to be off topic but it is something to be mindful of when making a decision in moving somewhere. I do think lenders value homes higher in the LDS neighborhoods though...I think...anyone?
If I could do it over again I'd look for less house in Chandler/Ahwatukee area.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:49 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,067,841 times
martinson1967:
There aren't any "hidden" areas....just have an agent plug in your search criteria in the MLS, and if it meets your needs, it will come up.

breakingbad:
Appraisers/lenders have no idea the religious affiliations in a neighborhood. They value homes by size, condition, location - NOT religion.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:33 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,640,836 times
Yes, there is a little patch = Chandler Heights and SE Gilbert. Search Chandler Heights by Riggs and it should come out. Cheaper than in town Chandler and Gilbert, more home for your money.
A little further out but not as much as Queen Creek. They also have some pretty affordable new builds out that way starting up again. Good luck.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,488 times
Thank you PoppySead. I have a cousin that lives in Anthem, is that area similar to that? (as far as long travel times and remoteness goes)

Old 06-06-2012, 07:26 PM

168 posts, read 458,199 times
There are many homes available for under $100/sq ft. I agree with the above poster - the Chandler Heights/Riggs and Higley/Greenfield area definitely has homes in that range. Just drive around and go into the builders' offices and look at the models. I know that Fulton, Taylor Morrison, Shea and maybe others are building in that area. Actually, you can go to their websites and pull up floor plans and base prices. If you want resale, an agent can get you listings.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:52 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,813,670 times
You may be limiting yourself by the way you're using the $100/sf criteria.

A 2500 sf home at $100/sf is only $250k, and you appear to have a budget of close to $300k, which is $120/sf for a 2500 sf home.

Therefore, if you were to use $110/sf, then the 2500 sf home would be $275,000, which will be easier to find.

If the average price/sf in some of the areas you're looking for happens to be, for example, $110/sf, then you'll have a difficult time finding a home for $100/sf, and if you find it, so will many others and you'll have a lot of competition.

On the other hand, if you search for homes 2500 sf plus, with a price range of $250-$300k, or whatever your maximum budget is, then you'll find homes meeting that criteria.

Since I live in Gilbert, I know that there are many great homes that were built prior to 2000, so unless there is a special reason why you chose that year, you may wish to consider some homes built prior to that. It will open up more possibilities.

I just did an mls search for Gilbert, $250-300k, 2500sf+, built after year 2000, and there are 18 listings meeting that criteria. One is in Seville at $98/sf, and Seville is a great area. It's in Gilbert, but is in the Chandler Unified School District. Gilbert and Chandler schools both have very good reputations.

There's another one in Seville that is 2540/sf, $298k with a pool. That appears to meet part of your criteria, but it's $117/sf.

Since you know exactly what you want, and the city you want to live, you will find the home much faster if you get a Realtor to work with you. The inventory is still declining, and if you're working with a Realtor you'll get daily updates on new listings emailed directly to you automatically, and you'll also be able to use their web site to search yourself. Then when a house comes up that you like, you can go see it right away. (That is what your competition is doing)

Old 06-07-2012, 07:28 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,640,836 times
Several people on here live in Anthem, I hear it's nice but it's in North Phoenix I believe which is an hour from Chandler/Gilbert in South Phoenix. I've actually never been to Anthem so I can't comment on it. Hopefully someone else will.

But, I do know for sure that you can find a brand new home, energy efficient, decent size (3, 4, 5) bedrooms for at or under 250,000 in Gilbert/Chandler Heights area. New builds help on electricity bills, which can be a lot if the home isn't built well, it get hot and we use ac all summer long to some degree.
Here are a few in your price range:
Communities of Spaces By Shea Homes
These don't have prices listed but I can tell you they run from about $189,000 to $260,000.

Cottages at Seville: Gilbert, AZ, New homes by Richmond American Homes
These are at Chandler Heights Rd. and Higley Rd in Gilbert around the Chandler/Gilbert border. Nice neighborhood, nice view of the San Tan mountain, plenty of shopping. About eight min. to the outdoor San Tan Mall and other shops. Have local grocery, drug stores, etc.
Like Captain Bill said, Seville is a great neighborhood, everyone likes it.

Discover the Home Gallery | Richmond American Homes
These are in Gilbert, closer to Gilbert center. A little bit more, $270,000 to $300,000.

Here is a run down of several new builds going up in Chandler right now. Most of these are pockets of construction picking up again in existing areas of Chandler. Nice areas actually around Ocotillo.
They have prices listed also, and a map.
New Homes in Chandler, AZ, Find Chandler New Homes for Sale | NewHomeSource

I bought new, I didn't want the competition and most of the new homes were at similar prices to the pre owned with no work involved. I got to pick everything from flooring to garage doors, didn't have a bidding war to worry about and financing was easier. It was a breeze actually and that is what I wanted. I'm very happy.
Of course a realtor like the Captain can show you resales around the same areas if you want to go that route. You mentioned newer homes so I thought you might like a brand new home, your budget and location desires fit right into whats currently being built.

Last edited by PoppySead; 06-07-2012 at 07:40 AM..

Old 06-07-2012, 07:45 AM

175 posts, read 493,014 times
You can buy alot of house for $250K in San tan Valley, a bit of a commute but you would get a mansion for that kind of money. You can get something like this... MLS # 4758166

Old 06-07-2012, 10:49 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,813,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Of course a realtor like the Captain can show you resales around the same areas if you want to go that route. You mentioned newer homes so I thought you might like a brand new home, your budget and location desires fit right into whats currently being built.
Realtors also show new homes, and the builders welcome that. The Realtor can be a lot of help in the new home purchase process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area