Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 07:40 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,634,974 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Phoenix metro area for 6 years now. The entire time I have spent struggling to convince some of my family that I'm not living in a tent in the middle of the desert.

they worry about me a lot, and I have found no success at setting their minds at ease. A current concern is that the wildfires are chasing out rattlesnakes, and that my wife and I will be bitten by an angy smoldering mob of snakes...

I've also heard comments like "oh, they have grocery stores there?" These are elderly members of my family, is anyone else experiencing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 07:44 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,095,166 times
My son and d i l won't even come here to visit. He thinks the Mexicans are taking over the city and are hanging out on every street corner waiting to rob me. He thinks its way too hot here, although he goes to Vegas at least twice a year and its the same weather. He isn't worried about me but he does want me to move back to Illinois.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:54 AM

39,125 posts, read 51,378,265 times
I think everyone has been to visit at least once and that is a lot of them. They all come with the sahara perception of dust and dunes and leave with the I had no idea Arizona was such a beautiful place mentality.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:58 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,634,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I think everyone has been to visit at least once and that is a lot of them. They all come with the sahara perception of dust and dunes and leave with the I had no idea Arizona was such a beautiful place mentality.
my family that has visited has had the same revelation. But even they can't convince the others of the life here...

Old 05-30-2012, 08:19 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,253,154 times
My family, which all live in Idaho, are all jealous and think we live in vacation mode all the time with the weather, pool, golf, etc. Have never heard anyone express concern for where we live or how we are living.

Last edited by LBTRS; 05-30-2012 at 08:58 AM..

Old 05-30-2012, 08:39 AM

168 posts, read 457,739 times
Oh, that's too funny! Where do they live? I'm curious how someone can have such misperceptions about any state. Have they never been out of their home state? I lived in Maine for a few years and met people who had never been outside a 60 mile perimeter around their home town, let alone out of the state. And these weren't (all ) uneducated morons. They were just happy where they were and had no desire to go anywhere. Not something I can identify with.

I think most people I know that live outside AZ think we play golf and hang by the pool with an umbrella drink all day. I'm cool with that perception

Old 05-30-2012, 10:22 AM

603 posts, read 948,127 times
When my relatives back east call me on the phone, they ask "So, how is it going out there in Western Alabama?", usually followed by something they find witty like "..banned gravity yet?".

At least they stopped making jokes about the heat...

They have no hesitation about visiting in the middle of winter.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:39 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,187,140 times
Maybe you should send them a video of Phx. Drive through downtown and let them see all the BIG buildings. I think they will be blown away!

Old 05-30-2012, 10:44 AM

289 posts, read 752,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinsFan1 View Post
I think most people I know that live outside AZ think we play golf and hang by the pool with an umbrella drink all day. I'm cool with that perception
Wait a minute, I'm living that perception.

My relatives seem way more interested in my recently purchased Lahaina condo....hmmm.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:55 AM

509 posts, read 1,701,771 times
I live in Northern part at 5300 foot elevation , and i do get winter weather . sometimes as much as over a foot of snow . my family cannot understand that it SNOWS in Arizona . also they think or seem to have the idea that there is only one city (Phoenix) in the whole state . what really blows their mind is that i have to drive 140 miles round trip once a month for majority of my shopping .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area