Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 06:36 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,708,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
I actually stayed there years ago, it was a pretty nice place. Isn't that where Bob Crane was murdered?
WOW, that's definitely a unique . . . CLAIM TO FAME! ! ! ! !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 06:57 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,457,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Hey, TurcoLoco . . . are you making fun of MY BUSINESS? ! ! ! !
Selling flowers is a bit different than selling oranges but seriously, if I can't find a job in the IT field soon, I might be selling fruits by the freeway and I will be one aggressive salesman, unlike latinos, I will even jump on moving vehicles or throw them on their windshields till people give up and buy (including the ones I already threw at them!) ...lol...

Old 09-24-2007, 07:28 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,169,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Selling flowers is a bit different than selling oranges but seriously, if I can't find a job in the IT field soon, I might be selling fruits by the freeway and I will be one aggressive salesman, unlike latinos, I will even jump on moving vehicles or throw them on their windshields till people give up and buy (including the ones I already threw at them!) ...lol...
Hey, if they're organic and local I'll be your first customer! Gee, it might even be better money than IT.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:50 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Hey, if they're organic and local I'll be your first customer! Gee, it might even be better money than IT.
I hope you meant organic (whatever that means here anyway) veggies and/or fruit and not flowers That'd be pushing it an iota too much in my book... He can probably make his annual salary on Valentine's day alone. So many forgetful men, so little time...

Old 09-25-2007, 12:52 PM

1,216 posts, read 3,030,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoLucky View Post
Having a business in downtown phoenix was fun while it lasted. We are selling the business. But it was never like home. I did enjoy my few months here and look forward to being back in New York.

I will miss you all and still check the forum.

My guess is this is what happened: Anyway, good luck GoGoLucky and think about us while you are at work.... .... in NY in the coming months.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:58 AM

111 posts, read 226,587 times
A lot of businesses are hurting due to the mortgage fallout, now that you can't get loans anymore people just aren't spending the money they used to. Friends of mine own a restaurant and business is way, way down thanks to that.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:05 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,169,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwinston73 View Post
A lot of businesses are hurting due to the mortgage fallout, now that you can't get loans anymore people just aren't spending the money they used to. Friends of mine own a restaurant and business is way, way down thanks to that.
Good point. I've been thinking for a while how many people here want more independent restaurants so they don't have to go to the big chain ones. Does anyone know how much it costs to have a business in Phx? The rent alone is outrageous! I've been researching retail space for a while now as I want to start a new business and I also helped my friend find a space for her store a couple of years ago. It's super expensive. Think $2-$3 or more per sf.

I can see why there are so many chains and less small ma and pop stores/restaurants.

Old 09-29-2007, 02:42 PM

111 posts, read 226,587 times
That and all the insurance and everything else it takes to run a restaurant. It's a difficult business. And an article in the Arizona Republic a few months ago covered top chefs and restauranters who are either leaving Arizona or refusing to come here because, despite the few who prefer independent restaurants, most Arizona residents stick with chains and like them and the independents suffer as a result.

Old 09-29-2007, 03:45 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,708,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalys View Post
My guess is this is what happened: Anyway, good luck GoGoLucky and think about us while you are at work.... .... in NY in the coming months.
LOL @ crystalys!

Old 09-30-2007, 07:04 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,324,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwinston73 View Post
That and all the insurance and everything else it takes to run a restaurant. It's a difficult business. And an article in the Arizona Republic a few months ago covered top chefs and restauranters who are either leaving Arizona or refusing to come here because, despite the few who prefer independent restaurants, most Arizona residents stick with chains and like them and the independents suffer as a result.
They go to the chain restaurants because they are cheaper and more familiar. Phoenix is not a very "monied" place to begin with and I think people on a budget can't afford most of the independent restaurants around here. If you are on a budget the last thing you are going to do is risk spending a couple hundred bucks on a meal you can't even pronounce. JMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area