Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 08:29 PM

4 posts, read 16,356 times

Advertisements

So, right now we live in Austin, TX. I saw the crime stats on Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed (HORRIBLE), and the posts here about how much Phoenix sucks.

I was thinking Tempe, just based on crime stats and the fact that there's a vegan friendly restaurant there.

But check this out, we're 26 years old, so we don't want to live in a really boring suburb or retirement community... yet, we have a child, so safety is key. We're looking to spend $600-$1000 a month on a two bedroom apartment, house or duplex.

I've been trying to read posts and stuff, and it's starting to make me feel like I should just forget about MMI and stay in Austin. Austin is safe and cheap (for now).

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 04:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 08:40 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,953,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nytotxtoaz View Post
So, right now we live in Austin, TX. I saw the crime stats on Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed (HORRIBLE), and the posts here about how much Phoenix sucks.

I was thinking Tempe, just based on crime stats and the fact that there's a vegan friendly restaurant there.

But check this out, we're 26 years old, so we don't want to live in a really boring suburb or retirement community... yet, we have a child, so safety is key. We're looking to spend $600-$1000 a month on a two bedroom apartment, house or duplex.

I've been trying to read posts and stuff, and it's starting to make me feel like I should just forget about MMI and stay in Austin. Austin is safe and cheap (for now).

Try South Tempe, you may think it's boring though.

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 04:33 AM..

Old 09-24-2007, 09:43 PM

Thanks for the reply...

The only thing we don't like is living in a development, or neighborhood, where it takes you like, a half hour to walk to the store to get something... or if you can't walk at all. If it's quiet, it's OK.. we don't go out much anyway, but if one of us wanted to go get a cup of coffee, walk to a park, get a soda, etc... we don't want to have to get in the car or go to McDonalds or something.

But we don't exactly need to live in a "cool" area where there's bars and coffee shops everywhere, you know?

Old 09-24-2007, 10:17 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,303,340 times
Tempe just starting implementing a new free public bus system that goes down many collector roads and neighborhood streets, connecting into the downtown Tempe/ ASU campus area. It's called the Orbit-- check it out. BTW, I think the "vegan-friendly" restaurant you're talking about is Pita Jungle. They actually have a whole bunch of locations all over the valley now, but started in Tempe originally. I've eaten there before-- I'd give it a C-.

Whether or not you'll be walking distance to the amenities you mentioned will be a hit or miss thing-- you'll have to choose your location very carefully, seeing what's in the immediate vicinity. Keep in mind, unless if you are living on or right next to Mill Ave, all those "things"-- like getting coffee, something to eat, etc, are going to be located in strip malls. It is possible to walk/ bicycle around here, and people do all the time, but it is not safe. Cars are king here-- and if you're walking along a major arterial street, you'll have to dodge cars left and right. Assume they don't see you.

Also, you'll have to dodge weirdos at the bus stops. I've run across some hideous creeps wandering the streets of Tempe. I'm not just talking about homeless bums peddling for money-- I'm talking about drunk, violent creeps. In the last several weeks, there have been several rapists on the loose here-- one suspect was just found yesterday, I think. My first two years living here as an ASU student, I didn't have a car-- so I know what I'm talking about. I now have Tempe PD # saved on my cell phone, so I can report these sick-os immediately. I still bicycle around for fun in the late afternoons, in residential neighborhoods mainly, but for "errands," I try to drive whenever I can, especially at night. Don't get me wrong, this is not a Bagdad here! But Tempe is most certainly not a particularly "safe" place either.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:43 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,162,378 times
Do you really want to commute to MMI from Tempe? That's kinda far. I live near MMI and I know a lot of the students there live in the neighboring area, some even across the street (I think they are the smartest!). They have a lot of congestion problems when they let out for the day. Many times there are cops directing traffic out of their parking lot as I guess class lets out at 6pm or so? And since there's a major freeway few blocks away it gets a bit busy.

It will be difficult to find an area where you don't have to drive to the store. It just doesn't happen out here. We drive EVERYWHERE!

I totally agree with Vegaspilgram about Pita Jungle. I, too, give it a C-. I'm a vegetarian and don't find their food very good, just not my taste. I do know others who love it. There are 4 locations in the valley.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:18 PM

343 posts, read 552,109 times
Based on your original post, you need to stay in Austin. You said it yourself!

Old 09-24-2007, 11:26 PM

751 posts, read 1,177,898 times
Comparing Austin to Tempe is like comparing grapes to oranges. Austin is infinitely better than Tempe. I guarantee you that if you move from Austin to Tempe, you will regret it.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:34 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,078,076 times
You won't be walking anywhere for coffee unless you live behind a circle K. lol Sorry, but the one area around Tempe you could walk is not really kid friendly. A lot of party houses for college students and homeless. Not to mention drug dealers, and gang activity. You will have to live in a suburb, and at that price, not a good one. I wish I had better news for you. Maybe by MMI, it would be a little cheaper than Tempe, I think. Not sure. All the students rent around ASU and so they jack up the prices on some pretty scummy places. My husband does a lot of plumbing down there. Not to mention, they have quite a scorpion problem.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:18 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,162,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
You won't be walking anywhere for coffee unless you live behind a circle K. lol Sorry, but the one area around Tempe you could walk is not really kid friendly. A lot of party houses for college students and homeless. Not to mention drug dealers, and gang activity. You will have to live in a suburb, and at that price, not a good one. I wish I had better news for you. Maybe by MMI, it would be a little cheaper than Tempe, I think. Not sure. All the students rent around ASU and so they jack up the prices on some pretty scummy places. My husband does a lot of plumbing down there. Not to mention, they have quite a scorpion problem.
You can find a 2 bedroom apt for $1000 easily in all suburbs. That price will get a "luxury" apt that will be pretty nice. There are a few good apts around MMI that will be that much or a little less.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:29 AM

Yeah, I'm going there to go to MMI... not just because I want to leave Austin. It's a good school to go to if I want to be a motorcycle tech (which is what I want).

Oh, and vegetarian restaurant: Green Vegetarian, 2240 N. Scottsdale Rd. #8, Tempe, AZ

Do you guys live in Tempe or do you live someplace else but just think it's ****?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area