Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 02:12 PM

3 posts, read 7,700 times

Advertisements

My family has the oportunity to move to Phoenix from NJ. My husband would be working in the Greenway Rd. Post office. Is this a good area to live in? We are looking to move for economic reasons. Plus, I like the idea of swimming in my pool year round. This is a BIG decision for us. we have a 11 year old daughter and 13 year old son. We will be visiting the area first. Are there things to do here? We are used to being near shopping and restaurants. Thanks for any advice you have. Marlene
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 02:39 PM

18 posts, read 40,181 times
Truthfully, I have several friends that were from NJ and most of them have moved back, or want to move back. Arizona is very dry and in the Phoenix area there is not a whole lot to do. If you go about 2 hours North you hit Flagstaff which is a lovely area and actually has seasons. Phoenix gets really hot in the summer and bitter in the winter. It's dry all year round and dusty. Many people end up developing allegergies to the plants here. If you get a pool, I'd suggest getting it with a heater. When my parents got a pool they swore up and down that they didn't need a heater... they regret it. For whatever reason, even with a dark lining, it takes sooo long for that pool to heat up. I'm originally from Florida and I know that taxes back East are cheaper than they are here, along with cost of living. Housing prices out here are ridiculous. It's slowly turning into California as far as that goes, though Cali is much nicer. The summer's are unbareable and you will rarely see your neighbors outside. Most people go to the mall, or I believe my parents often go look at model homes just to "beat the heat." I'm not a fan of Arizona and plan on leaving as soon as I'm finacially set. I'm sorry for all the negative things to be said about this area, but it's how I feel and so many people fall in love when they first come here. Like I, and many people I know, say-- Arizona's a nice place to visit, but not to stay. I suppose I should say Phoenix. From what I hear, up North is much nicer, but I've never lived there so I can't say really.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:49 PM

235 posts, read 923,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild.Irish.Rose View Post
Phoenix gets really hot in the summer and bitter in the winter.
In 10 years in AZ I have never heard anyone complain that Phoenix winters are bitter. I have read it several times since I started visiting this forum. Bitter compared to what ? Hawaii, The Phillipines, Guam ?

Old 09-25-2007, 03:14 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,172,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrphymcgr34 View Post
My family has the oportunity to move to Phoenix from NJ. My husband would be working in the Greenway Rd. Post office. Is this a good area to live in? We are looking to move for economic reasons. Plus, I like the idea of swimming in my pool year round. This is a BIG decision for us. we have a 11 year old daughter and 13 year old son. We will be visiting the area first. Are there things to do here? We are used to being near shopping and restaurants. Thanks for any advice you have. Marlene
If it's the post office on 28th street and Greenway, then NO that's not a good area. Go a couple of miles EAST, NE, SE, South, or NW and you'll be ok. The area is called "The Square", where it's mostly mexican and lots of crime. Lots of police patrolling.

We have shopping virtually on every street corner in the valley and lots of chain restaurants. Not to worry on this!

Old 09-25-2007, 06:19 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,961,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
If it's the post office on 28th street and Greenway, then NO that's not a good area. Go a couple of miles EAST, NE, SE, South, or NW and you'll be ok. The area is called "The Square", where it's mostly mexican and lots of crime. Lots of police patrolling.

We have shopping virtually on every street corner in the valley and lots of chain restaurants. Not to worry on this!

Agree but I would suggest even futher east, NE than a couple of miles.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:13 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,172,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Agree but I would suggest even futher east, NE than a couple of miles.
2 miles will put you at least 44th st and that's a good area! Most homes in that area are over $500k.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:49 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,210,736 times
My sister lives off Greenway between 52nd & 56th - that is a nice area as well. And nice homes.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:15 PM

1,216 posts, read 3,030,780 times
Quote:

I agree it is not a good area Marlene. You might also try going west in the 7th ave to 7th st. and Greenway to Thunderbird area....Moon Valley is a very nice older neighborhood.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:42 PM

338 posts, read 1,625,351 times
Quote:
If it's the post office on 28th street and Greenway, then NO that's not a good area. Go a couple of miles EAST, NE, SE, South, or NW and you'll be ok. The area is called "The Square", where it's mostly mexican and lots of crime.
I agree. I would never live in or near the "The Square". The area can be dangerous and there a lot of low lifes walking around. It's been a bad pocket in North East Phoenix for many years and is known for drug dealers, crack houses and the like. I would definitely go more than a couple miles East--like 15-20 miles East would be nice.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:25 PM

648 posts, read 3,091,987 times
just had to mention that there are million dollar homes just west of 40th street and on the mountain south of the square :/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area