Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 04:13 PM

5 posts, read 176,301 times

Advertisements

I'm fairly new to the North Phoenix area and the racism I've experienced is beyond belief. I'm a 30 yr old AA woman from Los Angeles, CA. I'm a mother of one and a small business owner. I moved to Phoenix because I've visited a few times and really liked the neighborhoods as well as the cost of living. I'm a person who researches just about everything, so I did major research on my current area. What I didn't research is "racism in AZ." Out of all the things I was concerned about moving out here, I never once thought that racism would turn out to be my only concern. I dress nice, keep myself up, in shape, pleasant attitude so what the hell is the deal? Oh! It's the color of my skin. When I first moved here a few months ago, I noticed extreme staring like I was a space alien or something. I didn't make anything of it. I The very next day I was in CVS, stood behind this lady in the checkout line, she moved away from me like I was a deadly disease, stood across from me and looked at me in utter disgust. I was so pissed, but I calmly told her "where I'm from, if someone behaved the way you just did, you would've got your ass whopped." Then my son and I were in a restaurant eating and there were kids sitting in the booth in front of us. The kids and my son were talking baby talk (mind you my son is only 1), the mother leaned down and told her young children in a harsh tone "DO NOT TOUCH HIM OR LOOK AT HIM! IGNORE HIM!" In my 30 years on this earth, I've never expeienced a fraction of the racism that I experienced in my first 3 weeks here. To me, it's not a place to raise African-American children. I know I will receive comments from people who are not black, and I really don't think I should. If you're not black, you can't relate PERIOD! I've lived in majority white neighborhoods and actually went to a school when I was younger where I was they only black. I never felt uncomfortable, discriminated against, or anything else. I've only been around people regardless of race, who see me as another human being. Take it from me, this is not the place to live.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:30 PM

408 posts, read 580,438 times
Hi Neosoul, Congrats on your relocation to Phoenix and I'm sorry it hasn't been the best experience for you so far. It takes people a while to adjust to any state if you only been there less than a year. North Phoenix is a huge area, and many parts are indeed prejudice or non-friendly. I myself haven't experienced racism, but know people who have and it really does happen everywhere! I would suggest checking out Tempe, South Phoenix, Central Phoenix and the SE Valley Chandler, South Tempe. The West Valley and SW Valley such as the Laveen area has a growing population of AA families as well as Hispanic, White and every other race imaginable! These places are more racially diverse than N. Phoenix is by far.

The Phoenix area is large and changing qucikly, and majority of the people are friendly by far. Sometimes you have jerks, and people who aren't comfortable with themselves so they will make others around them feel awful as well. Continue to think positive untill you can possibly relocate to another area of the Valley, or meet more people like you.

Also check out PhxSoul.Com for the latest events and social functions going around Phoenix. Mind you majority of the events are in Central Phx, Downtown, Tempe and the Southside.

Dont give up just yet..

Old 06-16-2012, 04:51 PM

168 posts, read 456,197 times
I'm sorry that you've had some bad experiences in Phoenix. And yes, as a white person, I can't relate to what it's like to be a black person in regards to skin color. That said, when you pretty much accuse everyone in a city of being racist, we have a right to respond....

If you visited here a few times prior to moving here and you enjoyed it enough to decide to move here, I'm assuming that you didn't experience any racism during your visits, correct? You must have had positive experiences, or you wouldn't have moved here. Perhaps you've run into a few racist people since your move. But there are racists everywhere, of ALL colors, not just white people and not just in Phoenix.

And I would caution you against judging every negative interaction as a racist interaction. Perhaps the mother just didn't want her kids bothering your child b/c he's just a little guy and she didn't want him to get hurt or riled up or something. Maybe HER kids were nuts and she was afraid they'd hurt YOUR child. I've told my kids many times to stop messing around with other kids. It's certainly not because of skin color. And maybe the lady at CVS wasn't even thinking about you when she looked at you. Haven't you ever been gazing off into space then realized you're looking at someone but not really paying attention? Maybe you perceived it as a personal attack against you, but in actuality, it wasn't. And certainly your comment about how she needed to have her butt kicked didn't help the situation. I'm just saying that sometimes we feel someone feels a certain way about us but, in fact, they feel the opposite or, more likely, they feel nothing at all b/c they're so wrapped up on their own world they're not even paying attention to us.

That said, you have a right to your opinion. I'm sorry that you've had such a negative experience here in Phoenix. But I hope that you're not judging everyone in the city based on one or two negative people because that wouldn't make any sense. Whether you decide to stay here in Phoenix, or if you decide to move, I wish you luck.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:55 PM

Thank you Boiwonder! I do appreciate your positive words and I truly believe that I picked the wrong area in Phoenix to live. Hard lesson learned.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:56 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
I find this odd as Phoenix seems so diverse and I've never seen behavior like this in my daily life. Everyone seems to mind their own business and go about their way. Are you sure you're not making more out of this then what is really going on?

I live in the Southwest Valley and have Blacks, Whites, Asian, Indian, Mexican, etc. all living here and everyone gets along fine and race is never a thought that I'm aware of.

I think making comments about getting a butt "whopped" didn't help your cause.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:02 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I find this odd as Phoenix seems so diverse and I've never seen behavior like this in my daily life. Everyone seems to mind their own business and go about their way. Are you sure you're not making more out of this then what is really going on?

I live in the Southwest Valley and have Blacks, Whites, Asian, Indian, Mexican, etc. all living here and everyone gets along fine and race is never a thought that I'm aware of.

I think making comments about getting a butt "whopped" didn't help your cause.
This is also my thought, Phoenix is such a melting pot and with all the cultures, I've rarely heard of any racism or racial violence. You've had a few isolated incidents that could be construed in different ways, maybe the woman was having a bad day and was just rude? It might've not made a difference if you were black, hispanic, or white...some people can just be flat-out rude and disrespectful. It happens in any city.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:06 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,200,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neosoulsoul View Post
I'm fairly new to the North Phoenix area and the racism I've experienced is beyond belief. I'm a 30 yr old AA woman from Los Angeles, CA. I'm a mother of one and a small business owner. I moved to Phoenix because I've visited a few times and really liked the neighborhoods as well as the cost of living. I'm a person who researches just about everything, so I did major research on my current area. What I didn't research is "racism in AZ." Out of all the things I was concerned about moving out here, I never once thought that racism would turn out to be my only concern. I dress nice, keep myself up, in shape, pleasant attitude so what the hell is the deal? Oh! It's the color of my skin. When I first moved here a few months ago, I noticed extreme staring like I was a space alien or something. I didn't make anything of it. I The very next day I was in CVS, stood behind this lady in the checkout line, she moved away from me like I was a deadly disease, stood across from me and looked at me in utter disgust. I was so pissed, but I calmly told her "where I'm from, if someone behaved the way you just did, you would've got your ass whopped." Then my son and I were in a restaurant eating and there were kids sitting in the booth in front of us. The kids and my son were talking baby talk (mind you my son is only 1), the mother leaned down and told her young children in a harsh tone "DO NOT TOUCH HIM OR LOOK AT HIM! IGNORE HIM!" In my 30 years on this earth, I've never expeienced a fraction of the racism that I experienced in my first 3 weeks here. To me, it's not a place to raise African-American children. I know I will receive comments from people who are not black, and I really don't think I should. If you're not black, you can't relate PERIOD! I've lived in majority white neighborhoods and actually went to a school when I was younger where I was they only black. I never felt uncomfortable, discriminated against, or anything else. I've only been around people regardless of race, who see me as another human being. Take it from me, this is not the place to live.
I'm far interested in living on the West Coast (although Phoenix is not on the coast, it's so far away from Florida, everything West of Dallas is the west coast to me ). But anyway Racism has always been the main reason for not going. Of course I'm from the South, the pitt of racism, but hell I have not experienced racism except form in school when I was younger and the city was still kind of split, or from certain bad cops (Not all). So to live somewhere like you described would terrify me. We have racism here in present day's except it's not geared towards black people. Regardless I've enjoyed living in such a diverse region! It would freak me out. I do hope you do more research though cause many cities are like that. They have pockets in which it's just not the best idea for black people to go into. I don't care who wants to deny it , it's true.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:08 PM

Phinsfan1... I don't think all white people are racist at all. The lady in CVS was for sure racist! I forgot to mention that she mumbled "go back where you came from." I'm thinking "do people really say things like that in this day and age?" I didn't make the situation any better by responding with negativity. I know it may sound like I could be assuming somethings, but I'm a person who always gives a situation the benefit of doubt. When I first started to notice it, I told myself that it was something other than what it really is. Racism is everywhere and I'm very aware of that, but my experience here has taken the cake. I like to keep things positive and I'm going to try and make the best of the situation.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:14 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,391,186 times
First, the title of your thread is a bit extreme, IMO. There are racists EVERYWHERE, as you've noted. You had the misfortune to run into two in your first three weeks. I can assure you, based on the experiences of my AA friends who've lived here for years, and what I've seen when I'm with them, that those experiences are rare. If you do experience it again, as you've noted, not responding negatively would be a better action. The high road is smoother.

Best of luck to you, and welcome!

Old 06-16-2012, 05:28 PM

I've actually had more than 2 experiences since being here. Let me clear something up first, I've also had pleasant experiences. I'm just not use to what I've experienced here. Everyone's experience is going to be different. I have a close friend in Chandler who's been here 7 years and she said she hasn't had too many issues. She also told me that she hates my side of town. I'm going to chalk it up to my area, and keep on pushing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area