Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 05:30 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,181,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Chris Webb View Post
But have never seen a bobcat! Will have to research whether they are dangerous to dogs as are coyotes. Anybody?
Yes. Bobcats are apex predators - dogs, cats, and all sorts of creatures are dinner to them. Living With Bobcats
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 06:45 PM

142 posts, read 934,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Yes. Bobcats are apex predators - dogs, cats, and all sorts of creatures are dinner to them. Living With Bobcats
Yep, our neighbors were losing their chickens that they keep in their backyard so they sat up the other night to see what's getting them. It was a huge bobcat jumping over their fence and having itself a nice evening snack. The neighbors have since moved the chickens into the garage at night!

Old 06-20-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Aww, we have a ton of these guys in our neighborhood. We also have pack rats, bunnies, gray squirrels, and some other underground rodent thing that is totally cute! Of course, my neighbors hate the fact that a lot of these animals dig up their trees, tunnel in their yards, and invite the predators. We have a bobcat cruising the neighborhood right now and 3 neighbors have had it visit their backyards just this past week!

Judging from your last post about best West Valley city, we're pretty much neighbors. Curious as to which subdivision you are in. I see lots of coyotes and chipmunks like in the photo above, desert cottontails, rattlers, even roadrunners. Last year 3 raccoons visited on a regular basis. But have never seen a bobcat! Will have to research whether they are dangerous to dogs as are coyotes. Anybody?
We're in Summit at Boulder Mountain just south of Sonoran Mountain Ranch so yes, we are neighbors. I see coyotes almost daily, had a rattler on my back porch a few weeks ago, and I just ran over a scorpion in the garage a few minutes ago! We also have javelinas, tons of roadrunners, lots of quails with their babies at this time of year(they are so cute!), and chuckwallas. I never knew how active the desert was up here but it keeps life interesting!

Old 06-21-2012, 07:19 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,942,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
We have a peach tree in the backyard and a bunch fall on the ground as they over rippen or get eaten by birds and we found a bunch of peach pits stacked up under the patio furniture. I always figured it had to be some sort of desert squirrel or something and then today we saw this little guy running around...isn't he cute?
I have a few of those in my yard too! They aggravate me because everytime I get flowers on my garden plants they eat them! I don't mind them eating the apples that fall on the ground but I'd sure like to get some veggies out of the garden. Thankfully the plants eventually get enough growing that the squirrels don't get it all!

Old 06-21-2012, 10:50 AM

568 posts, read 1,210,092 times
Awesome photo!

It's not in Phoenix, but my mom, who lives up in Cottonwood, recently spotted a mountain lion 'strolling' (i.e. stalking?) through her neighborhood while walking her puppy at dawn. Yikes!

Understandably, she's now a little apprehensive about walking the little guy.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:28 PM

800 posts, read 1,917,411 times
"We're in Summit at Boulder Mountain just south of Sonoran Mountain Ranch"

You're right across Pyramid Peak Parkway from us. I sold a house in your subdivision a year or two ago, and when I advised my clients they would need to supervise their children in the streets at all times because of the coyote population, they almost backed out!
I have yet to see javalina around here though - those would be a treat to see.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:38 PM

267 posts, read 694,956 times
I would think that bobcats would be a bit more cautious or circumspect in their predation compared to coyotes... but if the easy pickings are available, they'll find a way to take them.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:40 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,288,883 times
Quote:
I have yet to see javalina around here though - those would be a treat to see.[/color]
[/color]
The treat stops the moment you smell their pee.

Trust me on this one.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
"We're in Summit at Boulder Mountain just south of Sonoran Mountain Ranch"

You're right across Pyramid Peak Parkway from us. I sold a house in your subdivision a year or two ago, and when I advised my clients they would need to supervise their children in the streets at all times because of the coyote population, they almost backed out!
I have yet to see javalina around here though - those would be a treat to see.
Well, they stink to high heaven! Almost like a skunk so it's unmistakeable if they've been around your yard. And their poop is a pain to clean up, too. I have no idea why my driveway was always a good place for them to go when the desert wash is just a few feet away. Also, they can be mean especially if there is a female with babies. If I could figure out how to post pics here, I could post one of them.

And, yes, the coyotes are regulars in our neighborhood. I see them a LOT and in various numbers but lately they've all be traveling alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area