Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 08:45 PM

102 posts, read 578,896 times

Advertisements

Stick your head in the oven
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 08:57 PM

73 posts, read 269,875 times
Holy cow, I didn't know that could happen. I was worried about our leather dashboard while we were there yesterday looking at homes and then on the drive West to Los Angeles today. Ended up covering it with tee shirts. Is there a better solution to save my leather?

Will cracking the windows help avoid problems??

Old 06-22-2012, 09:04 PM

272 posts, read 610,272 times
Supposedly, it helps prevent what LS35a just went through - broken windows. Never found out if there was any hard data behind that, or if it was just an urban legend. Easy enough to roll the windows open a quarter of an inch, so I didn't bother making the effort to check.

You'll see a lot of dash covers, steering wheel covers, and sheepskin seat covers in Phoenix.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:11 PM

640 posts, read 960,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Actually a common occurance. To have never heard of it is a bit of a surprise if you have lived in Arizona for very long.
I have lived here for 13 years, obviously not as long as others but I have never heard of this either. About 6 of those years were spent living in apartments where the car was out n the sun all day. And out in the sun all day at lot 59 at ASU. I'm not an expert in physics but I don't think the heat alone can shatter a car window.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:50 PM

1,553 posts, read 3,653,530 times
It also depends on what glass they are talking about. Side window glass is tempered glass but windshield glass is different. Safety glass is actually 2 pieces of glass glued together. Your windshield has a kind of a clear semi-flexible layer between the two pieces of glass and that's what holds the glass together when it breaks so it doesn't have a tendency to throw small shards of glass all over the occupants in a crash.
The windshield doesn't usually "shatter" into pieces, it cracks. It isn't usually both pieces of glass that crack, just one. Usually the exterior piece caused from a small rock chip or "bullseye."
Side window glass is tempered so when that kind of glass breaks, it shatters into a gozzillion small pieces that aren't very sharp so as to cause as little damage to the passengers.
Regular glass that you might find in older homes will break into large, VERY sharp shards that can easily cause serious damage.
Tempered glass won't crack at all. It breaks very quickly into small pieces. Windshield glass doesn't shatter and fall apart. It will crack but it takes a lot to break it into pieces.
Glass doesn't just break from a little heat or cold. It needs something to get it started like a small rock chip. Only then can temperature have an affect on it. Because of temperature, everything expands and contracts with changes in temperature so on a sizzling hot day and cold air conditioning blowing on a hot window with a small chip and you'll end up with a crack.

Just sayin'

Old 06-22-2012, 11:14 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,772,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Actually a common occurance. To have never heard of it is a bit of a surprise if you have lived in Arizona for very long.
It's not a common occurrence. Native here I never had this happen or know anyone that this is happened too. More then likely the Op ticked someone off and they paid a visit.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:44 AM

39,109 posts, read 51,345,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
It's not a common occurrence. Native here I never had this happen or know anyone that this is happened too. More then likely the Op ticked someone off and they paid a visit.
Agree. Somebody busted the window or there was some mechanical stress involved. 110 does not cause tempered glass to shatter.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:51 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,720,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS35a View Post
It's been 113 this week.

So hot the front passenger side window in my car splintered into about a thousand pieces.

Yeah. It's hot.
No, complete and utter bull. Somebody either smashed it or you already had a crack in your windshield and it finally just splintered across. Heat, even at temperatures exceeding 200F+, will NOT crack a window. High temperatures WILL crack leather seating, crack plastic dash materials, and discolor paint/interiors but it will NEVER bust a window. Either somebody vandalized your vehicle OR you already had a hairline crack (can be difficult to see) and the crack finally just split across the window.

Pure nonsense that heat alone will crack or break a window.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:10 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,740,794 times
Been here 14 years and never once, even with cracks from pebbles in my windshield, had that happen. If it did occur it's the exception, not the rule.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:11 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,849,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS35a View Post
It's been 113 this week.

So hot the front passenger side window in my car splintered into about a thousand pieces.

Yeah. It's hot.
Turn you oven to 110F and stick your head in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area