Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2012, 10:23 AM

45 posts, read 123,643 times

Advertisements

So, after 5 years of waiting and planning, we are FINALLY making our move to AZ in Mid-August. We just confirmed the move this week. We won't be able to visit again before we leave, and it's been a few years since our last visit.

We have possibly narrowed the apartment choice down to two.

We will both be working for the same company in Tempe, near the intersection of S Priest Dr and W Alameda Dr. We'd like to be able to commute to work without having to use the freeways, if we don't have to.

So the apartments we are looking at are the Little Cottonwoods, on Bel de Mar Dr, near the intersection of S McClintock Dr and E Guadalupe Rd in Tempe, and Broadstone Ahwatukee Fairways near S 48th St and E Knox Rd in Ahwatukee.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these two complexes? I was also hoping to get a little information on these areas that these apartments are located in. How do they compare for safety, things to do, etc...?

We are in our late 30's, no kids. Not partiers by any means. We wouldn't mind having shops and things to do nearby, but prefer quiet over lively.

Thanks a million!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 11:42 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
I don't have experience with either complex, but I know the area around Little Cottonwoods very well, as it's only a little over a mile from my house. There's quite a bit of shopping, etc., near both places, but the area around Little Cottonwoods seems less congested with traffic, etc., to me-- it looks like quite a nice complex, and you'd have easy access to the light rail to go downtown for events, etc. If I were picking, I'd take the Tempe location.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:41 PM

701 posts, read 1,097,074 times
Another option is to go straight north up Priest and slightly west. Then your commute would be a straight shot down Priest, which isn't bad at all. If there are any particular complexes up that way you're interested in, I can probably take a look.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:05 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Priest doesn't go all the way to Knox, I don't think, if you are talking about a commute from either complex. Also, Priest is 56th st (Avenida del Yaqui) through Guadalupe. A slow commute just due to speed limits and stop signs. As far as apartments along Priest, the shopping in that immediate area is not great, compared to the others.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:20 PM

Thanks for the great replies!

Right now I'm leaning towards Little Cottonwoods because the commute looks more doable and it seems far enough away from ASU to keep from feeling like a dorm. Although I don't know how far one really has to go.

Golden_Monkey, are you meaning north on Priest FROM the workplace, to an apartment near the river?
What's that area like? I haven't really spent any time there. I guess I assumed it was mostly college students.

Thanks again!

Old 07-13-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Priest doesn't go all the way to Knox, I don't think, if you are talking about a commute from either complex. Also, Priest is 56th st (Avenida del Yaqui) through Guadalupe. A slow commute just due to speed limits and stop signs. As far as apartments along Priest, the shopping in that immediate area is not great, compared to the others.

My plan would have been to take 48th up to Elliot or Warner and then over to Priest and then north. But that is good information to know the drive through Guadalupe can be slow.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:14 PM

701 posts, read 1,097,074 times
I was just thinking somewhere in between the two. I'm near Tempe Town Lake along Priest. It is very quiet, but observer is right--things get very slow around Guadalupe on Priest. The traffic lights become 4-way stop signs, and it could get a little annoying if you had to do it every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: