Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 08:10 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,462,871 times

Advertisements

I see where you are coming from, CB, and I don't always help either. I sort of go with my gut feeling about the person and the situation. I remember one time I had stopped at Del Taco for some 39 cent tacos on my way to a weekend stint at the office. At the freeway on ramp, a man (late 20's, maybe) was standing there with a cardboard sign, something about food or hungry. I took one taco out of the bag for myself, rolled down the window, and held out the bag. He looked so grateful, made my day. Others, I pass by/ignore, probably more often than not. Access to services is there, yes, but for some, it's not as easy as getting to a welfare office or a food bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 09:42 AM

7,192 posts, read 9,263,398 times
In the 80s I worked graveyards at a convenience store. I saw and listened to to many such stories. What I came to understand was most had enough money to buy food but they wanted enough for booze. Many times I would see someone give a couple of bucks to help someone, then sale that person buy booze. Later I would see that same person giving out the same sob story at another location.

I'm not saying to give. Just to be aware. I still give on rare occasions. Usually based on my feelings at the time. But I often wonder if I'm only enabling an alcoholic to continue drinking. The other side is not giving, most of the time, and wondering whether the person really needed help.

The best thing is try not to second guess yourself. Definitely don't give too much. But when you do give, you are trying. When you don't give, remember that if you give every person asking for a handout a buck you will be standing on the street corner asking for a handout next. Ask yourself if you think the person you are giving to would give you a buck if you really needed it. I'll guarantee most of them won't.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:44 AM

246 posts, read 401,631 times
I almost never give money. But at times I've offered to buy some food. I'd say more often than not, that such an offer isn't appreciated, making me think they really want the money for alcohol or drugs.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:43 AM

33 posts, read 43,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgray9 View Post
I almost never give money. But at times I've offered to buy some food. I'd say more often than not, that such an offer isn't appreciated, making me think they really want the money for alcohol or drugs.
I was once approached in a Wal-Mart parking lot by a couple; the women was very pregnant, so I took pity. They asked for money for food and I told them I had no cash but I would be happy to buy them milk and fruit, if they were willing to wait while I shopped. They said, "No thanks but you would buy us SUBWAY?" (which was inside Wal-Mart)! So it wasn't they didn't appreciate food, just not the food I was willing to buy! haha

Old 07-19-2012, 03:23 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,200,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Maybe in a few days I'll get a check. But I don't think that's likely. So I will chalk this up as a learning experience, and offer it as a heads-up to those who read this. The sad thing is that if I was scammed, this will make me less likely to help a stranger ever again.

I'm savvier than most and pride myself of thinking on my feet. I'm not buying it.

Let's analyse this story. He was unable to get a hold of someone so his story was on "repeat" mode so everyone could hear the scam. Good choice of losing your wallet in Scottsdale. His Mom could have overnighted those funds to that church where he supposedly got the meal for a total of three nights. They have things like UPS Next Day Air (directly to that church).

I would have asked him for his phone # if I bought the act and hear it ring. I'd call it right away to see if it rings letting him know that he now has my phone #. I better be calling area code 858 or 619 (San Diego). A smart phone would have let me know for sure what the area codes are in SD but I happen to have most area codes memorized.

I'm wagering 100:1 you won't see any funds.

I will say it is a pretty good one.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:04 PM

784 posts, read 924,324 times
I once ran into a family of 4 outside a mall asking for help(money) to buy food.

There was a buffett next door and I offered to go with them and buy dinners for everyone....they refused and moved on.

My dad always gives them money, he said he would rather be without the money then not help someone that really needed the help.

I'm thinking it probably was a scam....there really is too many places one can go for help without begging for it.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:13 PM

777 posts, read 1,338,306 times
COULD be a scam. Scammers are clever and they KNOW what little stories, actions, details will poke at people's empathy to get their attention and money. But I do however, would be willing to give reasonable doubt to some people, as situations like this DO happen. Like in your story, if this guy's story is true, it holds well, and he seriously would NOT be able to get money to get out of AZ without help of a fellow citizen. Plus, he wasn't taken up everyone's offer for money or food either... and he PERSISTED, that he would rather work for that money, regardless of the fact you convinced him to take the money anyway and "hopefully" pay you back. If he wanted to work it off, he could've proved he was serious right there and then and did some work for you. And maybe he preferred that, b/c he "KNEW" he'd have problems paying a stranger back $60.

On the flip side, I agree with what someone else says... it's been like, like, 24 hours since that encounter?Maybe 72 now? I'd give him a few days.

As for what MN-born-in-raised said... hahaha... my problem is, even if THIS happened to me, i wouldn't go to a church, or even consider that option. Mainly b/c, I actually, don't go to churches, and I wouldn't know it's allowed. Second, taking free food from shelters/churches, I would consider myself someone who doesn't deserve it; I'm not poor, just having a setback til I get it settled. So, I still wouldn't personally doubt this guys story. My husband once had to be wired money from his mom when we had a car accident and had no means to get home, and she wired him some through Western Union too... which was seriously, a pain in the butt and they do require ID. Little facts in a story, are usually signifiers if a story has some validity or not.

The guy was either really really clever, or honest. Honestly, i hope the guy gets that email to show this was one of the good guys.

It's kinda like taking this approach: do we assume ALL hitchhikers are murderers that will kill, rape, rob, ruin your life if you pick them up? Well, many do, and I was told to think that way... lol... but of course, probabably way less than 25% of hitchhikers are actually that kind've person. OK, so I guess it's like playing russian roulette with your life... but good judgement goes a long way, and having been able to help someone in actual need makes some things worth it.

IE: would I have gave this guy $60? No. lol. Only cause I just would not be willing to cough up $60... I'd maybe give him $5. Or if I was crazier, I do have quite a bit of cleaning my house needs done............ lol.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:52 PM

800 posts, read 1,913,507 times
All of the charities that offer help to destitute people will tell you to NOT give panhandlers any money. They do have places to go that will help them (but won't help them find their next fix) and the truly poor know where these charities are.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:06 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,227,729 times
You gave him your address?

Never, EVER do that. He now knows where you live and that you are not at home during the day because you work. This guy could have been legit, but next time be smart. He was a total stranger. Make sure your house is locked up tight when you leave for work. And if you have a neighbor who is home during the day, ask him to keep an eye on your place.

It's nice you wanted to help someone but, yes, there are a lot of scammers out there. Think these things through and be safe.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:57 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,766,870 times
I would not have given $60.00 and I would not give my address either. But I would give what I could which would probably be about $5.00 to $10.00. If I had only a $20.00 and really believed he was stuck or out of work I'd give it up to him if I had it. I would not expect it back someday or any day no matter how much or now little I give because I give just for the sake of giving and never ever expect to see that money again.

I try not to let any thoughts of scammers stopping me from giving what I can because I figure that person might be too embarassed or have too much pride to admit they can't afford to pay me back and just lie to me to cover that. It sounds to me like you gave him a loan not a gift of money to get him by with just for the sake of giving. I would never have made it like a loan.

It does sound like this guy wanted you to hear him. Of course I could be wrong but it does sound that way to me. Why couldn't he go to a place to have money wired to him from his bank account? Why couldn't he call a cab to his home and get cash from his home to pay the cab driver? Then make arrangements to replace what he lost in his wallet, call his bank, put a lost claim to his charge card Company, etc. etc.? Either he scammed you or he was homeless and came up with a scam to cover not being able to pay you back. You may never know the truth and I hope it doesn't stop you from helping out someone again next time only the next time don't expect or ask for it back. Times are hard on everyone and today there are more people homeless, broke, out of work and some just down on their luck missing a wallet. Maybe he was telling the truth and will give it back but don't expect it or maybe he will do the same for someone else in his situation some day and remember what you did for him. There were times when I needed help and couldn't do a damn thing to repay back the person who helped me so now I do what I can for others and animals too as my way of giving back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area